Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,468,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
I think the CDC should declare an epidemic of Trayvonhysteria, a new contagious mental illness whose symptons include irrational thoughts such as thinking the correct "defense" to being followed is to double back and start punching the follower in the face.
A few years back I saw someone drop a checkbook on the ground. I had to follow him for a couple of blocks and even called to him. He heard me and kept walking. I had to run to catch up with him and he seemed a little irritated until I handed him the checkbook, and then he thanked me. I'm glad he didn't suffer from Trayvonhysteria or I may have had a fight on my hands.
Oh, for God's sake! We don't know who threw the first punch. We don't know if Zimmerman used fighting words with Trayvon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Simetime, I've lived in several places and worked as a nurse in all of them. I've worked with every minority in the U.S., and never felt fear. Once in St. Louis I crossed the street to avoid a man who was talking to himself and seemed to be agitated, but he was white. Understanding that rape is motivated by a need to dominate, I'd be hesitant about a man of any color following me at night. Trayvon Martin had every right to defend himself against George Zimmerman; please don't lump some posters in with people who are so clearly prejudiced and hateful. I may not have the strength I once had, but I wouldn't hesitate to try gouging out an eye or doing an impromptu castration.
I agree 100% with the bold. I have worked as a visiting nurse in all kinds of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, Champaign, IL (a surprisingly "rough" city), and Denver and its burbs. I never knew fear, either. We did have some policies for our safety, but none of them included carrying guns or assaulting people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I suspect when this trial starts if it ever does, there will be even more debate on who is delusional
We have a politically motivated prosecutor and a bunch of racist thugs trying to make a deal out of a bad deal.
I find it laughable the statements made by travons parents attny that if this was the other way around black on bottom shooter that there would have been an immediate arrest. Well you got your arrest and I suspect that is all you will get.
We all, you included, have a right to protect your person and your property yes even black folk and that is the real upside down of it. Preach on!
If you want a look at delusional, look at GZ's history of phone calls to the police. He had gone from once every few months to weekly in the month before he shot Trayvon.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If it doesn't matter, why did the family get a PR person to put out the incorrect information?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...thank-him.html

Pointing out people have been duped by a false narrative isn't attacking the family. I mentioned this today because there have been numerous posts in the last couple of days about Trayvon getting candy for his "brother."

What difference does it make who he was getting the candy for? And can you provide a link that proves that this PR person is the one who referred to the kid as Trayvon's brother? Again, what does it matter?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The 911 tape actually works well for George. It shows he was following the dispatchers instructions.

The dispatcher says twice, "Let me know if he does anything."

Zimmerman- He's running

Dispatcher- Which way?

Zimmerman- breathing heavily, clearly following him (an attempt to keep the dispatcher informed as requested?)- says towards the back entrance

Dispatcher- Are you following him?

GZ- Yes

Dispatcher- we don't need you to do that.

GZ- Ok

Dispatch- what's your name

GZ- George . . . He ran (Breathing back to normal)

Dispatch asked to be kept apprised, GZ was answering their questions. They told him they didn't need him to follow him, he said OK, and then indicated he had lost him ("He ran" not he's still running)

And he indicates later he still doen't know where TM is, because he says it when he won't give out his address because he doesn't know where TM is. The 911 call is much better for the defense than the prosecuter.

Same with the 7-11 tape. It shows he paid at 6:25. The townhomes are .8 miles from the 7-11. So what was he doing, in the rain, from 6:25-7:09? It doesn't fit with the rushing home to give the candy to his "brother" and watch the NBA game.

BTW- "Chad" is not Trayvon's brother. He's Trayvon's married father's mistress's child. Tracy Martin was married to another woman, and Trayvon had been at his stepmother's house with his dad just a few weeks before he died.
Chad isn't a brother, stepbrother, or any relation to Trayvon. The PR consultant Crump hired put out that Chad was his little brother. I guess that sounded better than Trayvon's dad's mistress's child. Can't let the truth get in the way of a good narrative.
I don't think you have much of a career in law. GZ doesn't say he won't give out his address b/c he doesn't know where Trayvon is. He just doesn't want to give it out. He won't agree to meet the police at the mailboxes; he tells the police to call him when they get there, indicating he did not intend to remain stationary.

Have you ever walked .8 mile? I have. It takes me 20 min or so. Do you have teenagers? They have a tendency to dawdle.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,768,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Trayvon's mother and father have been divorced since 1999 according to media. Are you saying that his father was married to someone else, which is why you referred to his girlfriend/fiancee as his "mistress."

He remarried after Trayvon's mom to Alicia Martin. She said she had raised Trayvon for the last 15 years and considers him her son.
She calls Tracy Martin her husband in an interview after his death and has mentioned Trayvon being at their house (hers and Tracy's) a couple of weeks before his death.
An interview with Trayvon's stepmother

The mistress is Brandy Green, and the 13 year old Chad is Chad Green, Brandy's son. Unless Tracy had been cheating on Alicia for many years with Brandy, I don't think it's possible that Trayvon saw Chad as a brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What difference does it make who he was getting the candy for? And can you provide a link that proves that this PR person is the one who referred to the kid as Trayvon's brother? Again, what does it matter?
Crump himself called Chad Trayvon's brother in the early interviews that Julison and Crump worked to get placed:

"Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said."

Also from that article:
"Trayvon, who lived in Miami with his mother, had been visiting his father and stepmother in a gated townhome community called The Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, 20 miles north of Orlando."
Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest - Yahoo! News

Quote:
I don't think you have much of a career in law. GZ doesn't say he won't give out his address b/c he doesn't know where Trayvon is. He just doesn't want to give it out. He won't agree to meet the police at the mailboxes; he tells the police to call him when they get there, indicating he did not intend to remain stationary.
He says that exactly. From the transscript:

OK, what’s your apartment number?
Zimmerman:

It’s a home. It’s 1950 – oh, crap, I don’t want to give it out – I don’t know where this kid is [inaudible] [3:40]

Quote:
Have you ever walked .8 mile? I have. It takes me 20 min or so. Do you have teenagers? They have a tendency to dawdle.
Crump said it should only take 10 minutes. From the bolded quote above:

to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said."

BTW- You might want to get more exercise. My 4 year old can walk faster than that. We walk to the park that's 1.5 miles from our house all the time.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,053,882 times
Quote:
I've been told I am follow able...not available...your not interested?
Of course I knew what you meant. I just wanted to hear it from you, since you were obviously hinting that you're very "hot" and men find you attractive. I was a model in my younger days, and getting whistles and catcalls from men is nothing to brag about, that is, unless that's the type of attention a woman desires. However, stalking isn't the same as flirting. Being raped isn't the same as someone asking you for a date because he thinks you're pretty. I've had experiences I won't talk about on this board, but I know after going through a life-threatening assault, I wouldn't hesitate to beat the crap out of a man who was following me in the dark (if I could) but I'm only about 115 lbs so I carry pepper spray and a whistle.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM

I keep seeing posts about Affirmative Action. What the heck does that have to do with this case? I'm not a racist, but I would vehemently protest if a Black or Hispanic person got a promotion based solely on his or her race. That's going way off-topic, but I honestly don't know why having certain political views on issues means a person can't look at something objectively. There is a huge difference between having an opinion and being a bigot. There will never be a level playing field as long as we continue to judge others based on their race, religion, age and gender, but the best way to wipe out bigotry is through example and education. "Teach your children well."

Now, let's get back to the real issue here.
Quote:
I carry designer guns and don't mind that they whistle. not bragging...I've always heard if its a fact it's not bragging...
I guess you were never taught anything about humility. There's a very old book I can suggest.

Okay, back to the serious issue about the shooting of a 17 year old teenager. You've had your 15 minutes of fame.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,163,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And don't forget to start a website for the sole purpose of soliciting monetary donations from gullible, paranoid, gun-toting, card-carrying members of the NRA.
What are you talking about? The website was created for the purpose of raising money for his defense. Are you suggesting that he doesn't deserve a good one?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If you want a look at delusional, look at GZ's history of phone calls to the police. He had gone from once every few months to weekly in the month before he shot Trayvon.
Definitely. I also don't know why so many people insist GZ was going back to his vehicle when the fight began. It contradicts his past behavior and the shooting didn't happen near his car.

GZ often followed and detained a "perp" he found suspicious. Once he chased a car until the police arrived. The man told the police he was terrified. No charges were filed against the driver or GZ, but it has been documented by the Sanford Police. (it was one of the many 911 calls made over the years) Another time GZ chased a shoplifter until the police arrived. He enjoys being a hero. In fact, one neighbor described the way GZ lit up with excitement when he caught a would-be burglar in the neighborhood. This time was no different from the others, since he clearly said "these a-holes, they always get away" which indicates he wasn't going to let that happen again.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What are you talking about? The website was created for the purpose of raising money for his defense. Are you suggesting that he doesn't deserve a good one?
Everyone should have the best defense possible.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the financial support of members of such a large and vocal group as the NRA.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,443,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It was started for his legal defense AND for his living expenses. In fact, the web site which was opened by his lawyer and is open now is ALSO for his living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies