Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,273,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
BUT eventually, there will be more and more ...when is it going to stop? The media is out of control!
If you don't like it, don't look, or don't buy from that company, or whatever floats your boat.

If a reasonably innocent kiss between two women (or two men) should be banned from everything our kids might be exposed to, then that should also extend to innocent kissing between a man and a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,082,603 times
Personally I have no problem with the ad, what a lot of people don't seem to know is SEX sells, almost every ad has sexual innuendo built into it, just pay attention with that in mind, and you will see.

I wonder how these folks at million moms feel about those KY sexual lubricant ads on TV, which reaches millions more than an urban outfitters catalog does.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,401,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Personally I have no problem with the ad, what a lot of people don't seem to know is SEX sells, almost every ad has sexual innuendo built into it, just pay attention with that in mind, and you will see.
That's just it though, the picture in the ad isn't about sex at all! It's clearly meant to indicate love rather than anything sexual. I wouldn't justify sex selling anything, quite frankly. I think it's shameful, irresponsible, and lazy. But that's just not relevant to this ad.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That's just it though, the picture in the ad isn't about sex at all! It's clearly meant to indicate love rather than anything sexual. I wouldn't justify sex selling anything, quite frankly. I think it's shameful, irresponsible, and lazy. But that's just not relevant to this ad.
To some people, even a 30-year soulmate-to-soulmate same-sex relationship is all about sex cause anything related to gay people is always about SEX SEX SEX !!! Lol.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,082,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Almost every ad selling whatever has a direct or indirect sexual undertone.

Those women look sexy in those outfits, I think I (or my girlfriend/wife)will too ... Says the average urban outfitter customer.

"Sex Sells" has been the case for advertising forever.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,959,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
One Million Moms Slams Urban Outfitters for Lesbian Ad in April Catalogue | Video | TheBlaze.com

But they aren't trying to shove acceptance down our throats.

One Million Moms is right on this, but I don't think they were right about be outraged because JCP made Ellen their spokes person. That's way over board. But this is just not okay.
'they'?

Urban Outfitters is a company that sees annual profits of $200,000,000+. They move product, at a profit. They print catalogs designed to do one thing -- get people to buy the products therein.

In fact, the CEO of Urban Outfitters, Richard Hayne, has donated more than $13,000 -- drumroll, please -- Rick Santorum.
PolitiFact Florida | Facebook post claims Urban Outfitters CEO backs Santorum

So I'm pretty sure his bottom line is bringing in revenue, not launching some plot to undermine your regressive values ...

Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Almost every ad selling whatever has a direct or indirect sexual undertone.

Those women look sexy in those outfits, I think I (or my girlfriend/wife)will too ... Says the average urban outfitter customer.

"Sex Sells" has been the case for advertising forever.
If you say so. I think a lot of people might just say "I think that dress looks good, so I'm gonna buy it"

I mean, yes, there's probably some political reason (likely a stand for gay rights) they chose two women instead of one woman and one man. And I'm not insisting even that they didn't intend to offend someone. After all, as the article points out, they just got out of trouble and now they're right back into it. But I think, even if both premises are true, it's one heck of a respectable way to go about it. Any semi-reasonable anti-gay people out there (Yes, I do believe they exist) will have to acknowledge, "Wow, maybe all gays AREN'T all about sex. Maybe they actually love each other every now and then!" It's a start, anyway.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,588,790 times
Quote:
But when young girls under the age of 10, see this, I think it sends mixed signals. It confuses our children..and may teach these young girls/boys that it's OK, it's your choice. I'm OK with my children being gay, but I want them to know...and not be taught by the media!! Just like the media sexualizes our young children...more and more!
How can one picture do that? I talk to my kids about sexuality, we discuss healthy relationships, how people know their orientation, etc. If you have open, honest, frequent dialogue with your children, one chaste kiss in a clothing catalogue should have very little impact on their life.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 AM

1,744 posts, read 963,443 times
Urban Outfitters target audience is young to 30something hipster wannabes living in cities and upscale suburbs. They couldn't care less what "One Million Moms" thinks about them. They aren't planning on opening any stores in Hooterville any time soon.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
But when young girls under the age of 10, see this, I think it sends mixed signals. It confuses our children..and may teach these young girls/boys that it's OK, it's your choice.
It IS okay, whether it's a choice or not. All I want my kid to learn about sexual/romantic relations is that monogamy is best and full commitment ("Take it slow, until you know") is key. In my view, the picture is indicative of love, not sex and not making out with other girls because it's "cool" or "fun". If someone had have been standing behind them, bible or no, I would've thought it was a wedding. No joke!

Quote:
I'm OK with my children being gay, but I want them to know...and not be taught by the media!!
And how do you feel about the vast majority of depictions in the media being of heterosexual behavior? I'm sure there are gay and lesbian couples with children who feel the same way about the fact that every time they turn on the TV, it's "always" a man and a woman together. They may believe it's all teaching their kids they should be heterosexual. Same difference. While I sympathize with the want to prevent them from being influenced by depictions of lesbians as "sexy" or lesbian activity as "cool", I feel just as strongly about the media pushing sexuality through images of heterosexual behavior, which I see a lot more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies