Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,334,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haven't 10+ states already decided it is? California just took a huge step towards re-instating gay marriages, so I predict it'll be legal here by November... but yes, we must let the states decide for now.
It's 8 actualy, but it was done in those states by judicial or executive actions, not by a vote of the people. 32 states have amended their constitutions to define marriage as being between man and woman following referendums from the people of those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM

30,591 posts, read 52,317,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's 8 actualy, but it was done in those states by judicial or executive actions, not by a vote of the people. 32 states have amended their constitutions to define marriage as being between man and woman following referendums from the people of those states.
Doesn't matter, as many issues aren't left up to the people - nor should they be. Doesn't matter, as many issues aren't left up to the people - nor should they be. Regardless, only time will tell what happens in the future, but I'd be willing to place some wagers on majority legalization.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Doesn't matter, as many issues aren't left up to the people - nor should they be. Regardless, only time will tell what happens in the future, but I'd be willing to place some wagers on majority legalization.
I'll bet you a rep point.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM

33,657 posts, read 37,475,768 times
Quote:
It's encouraging that my posts are having some effect.
The only effect they have on me is disgust and nausea that such narrow minded prejudice based on ancient myths still exists in this modern world.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 AM

30,591 posts, read 52,317,024 times
Quote:
I'll bet you a rep point.
You're on! We'll have to hope City-Data is still operating in the year 2022, though... if it's not, I'll send you a cookie (or vice versa) by mail.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The only effect they have on me is disgust and nausea that such narrow minded prejudice based on ancient myths still exists in this modern world.
An anti-acid may help.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,437,505 times
Quote:
You are unable to distinguish between right and wrong apparently. You are amoral and decide for yourself what is "right." Such judgmentaly impaired individuals are a threat to society.
Here are my standards:

Right - What is either beneficial or of neutral effect to individuals and the world; not necessarily harmful.
Wrong - What is harmful or of great risk as compared to its benefits for individuals and the world.

And yours:

Right - What a book tells me is right.
Wrong - What a book tells me is wrong.

Now you tell me (and tell me honestly now, because lying is a "sin"), which standard is more likely to keep one from being a threat to society?

So many threads now, on the subject of homosexuality. Can't remember if I posted the following link on this one or not. But here it is. It talks of how assessment of the controversy itself is a more advanced method of determining right/wrong than going strictly and unquestioningly by an authority figure's word.

Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,087,147 times
Quote:
It's 8 actualy, but it was done in those states by judicial or executive actions, not by a vote of the people.
As it should be.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,249,401 times
Quote:
Show me where pedophilia, bestiality, murder, adultery, etc. are addressed in the Constitution. Or marriage for that matter. The Bible is the Word of God. If you are unable to determine right from wrong, read the Bible, not the Constitution.
The Bible is the Word of God written by the Hand of Man, so any legitimacy you thought it had went out the window. It's been twisted, warped, and befouled for 2000 years and is no longer a holy text, but a book with a really interesting story.

Now answer me question - show me where in the US Constitution (which is what we live under) it says that homosexuality is a sin. For that matter, show me where in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights where it says we are supposed to deny a group of people fair treatment and equal rights because the Word of God (the weight of such is laughable now) says so.

I'm waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies