Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Again (I posted this on the previous page), Million Moms March is a different group.
Forget it, they're on a roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,754 times
I don't see anything wrong with the picture. It'd be one thing if it was a close-up of tongue action, but this is quite an innocent picture, IMO.

Generally speaking, people need to make up their minds what should or shouldn't be done/allowed in public, on TV, in magazines, etc. Nevermind who's doing it with whom. What behavior is acceptable and what behavior isn't? Meaning, if two women or two men can't kiss like that in public or in a magazine, a man and woman can't either.

My stance: making out needs to stay private; a peck or even a drawn-out lip-to-lip kiss = fine. That goes for a man and woman, two women, and yes - even two men.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,615,606 times
One Million Moms may have a problem with that ad, but more than likely, their little darlings are just embarrassed by their mothers and their more and more outdated, prejudicial beliefs.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's not the same organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Again (I posted this on the previous page), Million Moms March is a different group. One Million Moms is a boycott-and-angry-form-letter group. You sign up and they email you letters for you to forward to advertisers.
Alright already!!! My mistake Million Mom March or One Million Moms they're both working for the same causes. The "One Million Moms" do fight child abuse.

So, just how does two women kissing sell clothes better

It's like the girl coming out of the pool with a beer, not sure if it's telling me that's how how I'll look if I drink beer or more men will show up at the pool side if I have beer, maybe, both............ Then again is it telling men if they drink beer women will start coming up out of the pool

Or the girl posing in front of a motorcycle and probably has never been on one. To bad some women,editors and publishers feel they need to present women as sex toys over brains, they've even resorted to women being dirt.

The mom's have the right to ask gestures like this stay in your bedroom the rest of us could careless that the like/have sex or kiss with affection.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Huh. That's interesting. Because last I checked, I was female.
Funny, I think you were the first to want more action.............for a female I'd think you'd want better clothes on the models. As for me it's all about the clothes, I don't need models getting cozy to sell me on the item.

Maybe, Urban Outfitter's is low on sells and with this it will bring customer's, guess they can hope.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I avoid malls.....like the plague. LOL

Seriously, I haven't been to a mall in years. I did go to a Lane Bryant (I think that's what it was called) outlet store two years ago to find something to wear to my son's wedding. Does that count?

I haven't been asleep for the last 35 years, I've been oblivious.
Haha... in a way, I envy you for that.

I don't have much spending money these days, but my mother & I used to tear UP the mall regularly! Can't help it, I was born that way.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha... in a way, I envy you for that.

I don't have much spending money these days, but my mother & I used to tear UP the mall regularly! Can't help it, I was born that way.
It gets harder and harder to pry my butt off my little homestead.

Besides, I've never been much of a shopper and I've never had an interest in clothes and fashion - even when I was in high school and as a young adult.

Not that I haven't found other things to spend money on - just not clothes.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Alright already!!! My mistake Million Mom March or One Million Moms they're both working for the same causes. The "One Million Moms" do fight child abuse.
Good for them... maybe if they channeled all of their "Gays are bad, mkay" energy into helping children, they'd be able to achieve even MORE. That is a worthy cause, while pestering private businesses and consenting adults is not IMO.

Quote:
So, just how does two women kissing sell clothes better
It sure got us talking about them, and a few people who'd never heard of Urban Outfitters now know their name... I bet these business love Million Moms, since they're always good for some free publicity!

Quote:
It's like the girl coming out of the pool with a beer, not sure if it's telling me that's how how I'll look if I drink beer or more men will show up at the pool side if I have beer, maybe, both............ Then again is it telling men if they drink beer women will start coming up out of the pool
Advertising is mostly about getting noticed, and sex sells - always has, always will. I don't think any guys believe "If I crack a Coors Light, bikini models will crawl out of my swimming pool." But the ads do get those men to LOOK, and subliminally plants the thought of boobies when they next see Coors Light in the beer aisle.

Quote:
Or the girl posing in front of a motorcycle and probably has never been on one. To bad some women,editors and publishers feel they need to present women as sex toys over brains, they've even resorted to women being dirt.
Meh... I'm a woman, and it doesn't make me feel exploited or dirty. It's not like these women are slave models, and they get paid better than I do - as a well-educated professional. So more power to them, and it's not our fault men think with the wrong brain sometimes.

Quote:
The mom's have the right to ask gestures like this stay in your bedroom the rest of us could careless that the like/have sex or kiss with affection.
No they don't. The laws pertaining to graphic images are already quite clear, and they do not differ depending on the gender/s of the models. If a no-tongue kiss is deemed appropriate between a man & woman, it is legally as appropriate between same-sex couples... so their objections are purely discriminatory, and that is NOT something they can go around demanding of others. They can ask, but UO sure as heck doesn't have to listen.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-18-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,756,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't imagine 1 Million Moms would allow their daughters to purchase clothes from Urban Outfitters anyway, they don't sell ankle-length frocks or headscarves.
Exactly. I do shop there (online) and will continue to do so. I doubt UO is sweating losing any of the "modest dress" crowd as customers. They'll probably come up with a cute T-shirt about the idiocy.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Exactly. I do shop there (online) and will continue to do so. I doubt UO is sweating losing any of the "modest dress" crowd as customers.
Yeah, I don't think they're UO's target customers anyway... LOL.

Quote:
They'll probably come up with a cute T-shirt about the idiocy.
Probably! One of my favorite t-shirts came from them... it's green with a sketch of the Golden Gate Bridge, and says "I wasn't born in San Francisco, but I got here as soon as I could." So true, I just had to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies