Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,816,145 times

Advertisements

Et Tu Zimmerman?

"Neighbors say they're "outraged" that an 80-year-old owner of a local tavern has been charged with shooting a burglar who broke into his home in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side.

“What does it say to me and other senior citizens that we will be arrested if we defend ourselves?" asked Anita Dominique, head of the block club in the neighborhood. "This is an outrage.”

Neighbors 'outraged' after man, 80, charged with shooting burglar - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,734,809 times
Ok all you *******s here is a perfect example of the reason STAND YOUR GROUND laws are needed.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
This is just another example of the city elite trying to disarm the people that live in less prosperous neighborhoods. IMHO everyone should have a firearm at home or be carrying one. The police are useless when an assault is occurring. The potential victim has to stop the assault then call the cops.

The most severe charge this man should face is "Attempted pest control". Actually he should not be charged with anything and his firearm returned. He stopped the home invasion and the assault without killing the assailant. He should get a commendation from the police not an arrest.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
He shot a poor, innocent child that had every right to be there...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

This is why some states have "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" laws. Chicago remains stuck in the past.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok all you *******s here is a perfect example of the reason STAND YOUR GROUND laws are needed.
I hope this isn't supposed to be a comparison to the Trayvon Martin shooting because if so you are comparing apples and cannonballs.

That being said yes he should be allowed to shoot an intruder IN HIS HOME.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I hope this isn't supposed to be a comparison to the Trayvon Martin shooting because if so you are comparing apples and cannonballs.

I think this is more about why we need SYG laws, and less about a comparison. The issue is that good people defend themselves every day, yet we never hear about "the guy who saved people by shooting the bad guy" from the mainscream press. The minute there's a questionable shooting, especially if it has a racial spin, the mainscream are all over it. Their biased spin is really pathetic.

All upstanding citizens should own a gun, except the ones who are against them. One day a baddy will try to do harm to them and a gun toting good guy will hopefully be around to save them, unless they got their way and guns were banned. If that's the case, sucks to hate guns.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,734,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

Comprehesion is a critical reading skill in understanding the content of a post.

My post is about Stand Your Ground laws and the many *******s attacking them.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times
Why should there be "stand your ground" laws as long as self-defense is an available legal defense? Where is a resident supposed to retreat to if they are in their own home and someone invades that home with criminal intent? I agree with Castle Doctrine, but I think Stand Your Ground inappropriately extends the concept of self-defense by allowing a lethal force response in more circumstances and ignoring retreat and escape as part of a valid self-defense. If your physical safety can be achieved by removing yourself from the scene, I don't see lethal force as a valid alternative. But in one's one abode, it's a different situation. An intruder enters at their own peril.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,280,787 times
I love how the right always blames the media for false reporting and then they do the exact same. The story says he had 2 prior gun convictions. This probably meant he was not LAWFULLY allowed to possess a firearm. Hence the arrest for UNLAWFUL USE OF A FIREARM.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
LIke I said, "ATEMPTED PEST CONTROL WITHOUT A LICENSE".

I believe previous firearms convictions under a systen as draconic as Chicago's should be rendered void. This citizen needed a weapon handy and the city had no right to deprive him of his safety in his own home. Or anywhere else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies