Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,018,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This is why people need to read the article:

Wright was charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon after police discovered he had two prior weapons convictions from 1968 and 1994, officials said. Records show Wright also was convicted of theft in 1990. Wright turned his gun over to detectives.

Reading is FUNdamental...so is reading comprehension.

Oh, and just in case people get this confused with the Zimmerman/Martin case: they weren't outside in a common area of a condo complex, the 911 dispatcher didn't tell Wright not to pursue, and nobody was killed.
There ya go throwing logic into the mix, think it will stop the ranting, somehow I doubt it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,182,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
As i stated in post #16

Bears repeating.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,042,096 times
In some cases, like they are 80 years old and live in a dangerous neighborhood, even ex felons have a need to be armed. Considering the circumstances, If I were the DA, I would just drop the weapons charge and give him his gun back.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,100,479 times
He wasn't arrested for the shooting, he was arrested for being a felon who was barred from having a weapon.

Englewood Man, 80, Charged After Shooting Burglar in Leg | NBC Chicago

Jesus Christ people, use your brains...assuming most have them.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,724,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok all you *******s here is a perfect example of the reason STAND YOUR GROUND laws are needed.
There is a huge difference between castle laws (shooting someone breaking into your house) and stand your ground, where you can shoot someone, anywhere, if you simply feel threatened

I think Castle laws are perfectly fine. I do not agree with Stand Your Ground.

There are 2 entirely different things.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,514,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This situation does not compare. If someone breaks into your home, the owner have a right to disarm, shoot to would or shoot to kill or whatever. That's the price the burglar pays when they break into someone's home.

And thank you very much republitard.
Hate to burst that bubble of yourse, i am a republician, who beleives in the right of firearms for its citizens.

We have guns, for protection, and yes i know how to use them, and permits. Everyone does not.
Ane more republicians i know then democrats, are for the rights of citizens to own guns. That is the truth.

I have many police as friends. The way i understand it is, in a lot of States such as Calif, you have that right to protect yourself and property, but be able to expalin how you felt your life and your family's was in jeopardy, you feel that the burglar, onced he broke into your home, that your life and family members were threatened, that you felt beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the bad guy would kill you. And you have better be able to expalin this. Becasue in some cases, after the good guy kills the bad, the family of the burglar, will now sue you in court with a good attorney.
Someone breaks into my home, i will use the gun, no hesitation.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 AM

It also appears that he was charged not for shooting the burglar, but for possessing an illegal gun?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I love how the right always blames the media for false reporting and then they do the exact same. The story says he had 2 prior gun convictions. This probably meant he was not LAWFULLY allowed to possess a firearm. Hence the arrest for UNLAWFUL USE OF A FIREARM.
Exactly - he was not arrested for attempted murder, or for actually shooting the burglar. He was arrested for having an illegal firearm.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,899,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In some cases, like they are 80 years old and live in a dangerous neighborhood, even ex felons have a need to be armed. Considering the circumstances, If I were the DA, I would just drop the weapons charge and give him his gun back.

I have always felt that once some criminals have FULLY paid their debt to society a permitting process should exist to allow them to regain their right to own one gun for defense. Guess that is the ******* in me comming out.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,899,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There is a huge difference between castle laws (shooting someone breaking into your house) and stand your ground, where you can shoot someone, anywhere, if you simply feel threatened

I think Castle laws are perfectly fine. I do not agree with Stand Your Ground.

There are 2 entirely different things.
Both laws are the same in spirit. Think about WHY either law is created.............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies