Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
after screaming themselves hoarse over gitmo, some leftists are suddenly big fans of indefinite detention and being held without charges
I don't think anyone said anything about "indefinite detention" or "being held w/o charges".

There have been some foolish statements on here, from "the left" (who supposedly are all supporting Trayvon 100% to hear some RWs tell it) and from right, who are all supposedly supporting Zimmerman's actions 100%.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You don't understand.

Marijuana use is not required to be disqualified for consideration for a Commercial Pilot certificate. Merely being in possession of an illegal drug is plenty. The fact of the matter is that Trayvon Martin was suspended for trace amounts of pot in a baggie. If he was planning to factor marijuana into his future plans, then being a pilot was completely out of the picture for him. A life that consists of drug use or drug distribution is not a life that affords the opportunity to be a responsible aviator.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Isn't it far past time to abandon the Lilly White Angel Defense of Trayvon Martin?
This is all speculation. Had Trayvon lived we don't know if he would have lead a "life that consists of drug use or drug distribution".

We don't even know if his interest in being a pilot would have changed.

If Trayvon had actual weed on him, the school would have called the police. I know a young girl who was caught smoking weed in the school's bathroom and the police were called. Possession of an illegal substance on school grounds is serious business and rises to the level of police involvement and expulsion.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM

812 posts, read 595,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think you added a whole lot of fluff to the scenario.

It should read something like; Martin is walking down the street, a SUV is following him, a guy gets out of his vehicle and is walking towards him, and thats about all we seem to know until one guy ends up dead. (Supposedly this is when Martins punches Zimmerman, which Martins should have either ran away from Zimmerman which he could have done, or stayed calm and talked to Zimmerman and not punch him in the face, which a lot of people on this board seem to think is okay since Zimmerman "followed" and "questioned" him.) I got questions as to what I was doing in a ****ty neighborhood when I first moved and I didn't immediately think let me punch this guy in the face, I kept moving.

I never heard anything about Zimmerman running at Martins, starting to push him and yelling at him. If thats the case then Zimmerman would be arrested now and be facing charges.
The hallucinatory make up the situation that suits them best as the do their politics. If it doesn't fit imagine what it would take to make it fit

Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I have notice that in the Black community there is no hesitation for a Black to take advantage of another Black for financial gain. Blacks ran to this case for the money and gave no consideration to cases such as Nicholas Lindsey or Shawn Tyson. All are cases in tragedy and equally deserve consideration in the view of how Black people can progress. It was also in insult to Martin to post his child picture instead of his real picture. It was a sign of disrepect. It was also disrepect to hide or conceal events in his life over the past previous 12 months leading up to the shooting. Events well known to those close to him casting light on his state of mind. Facts will eventually all come out and as people learn they were deceived they will tend to be less focused on helping the Black people improve their lot in this world. And that loss of creditability is a tragedy. We need to go back to Martin's life and look at the previous 36 months. What could we do. Now how can we help other young men.
"A Black"

There was nothing in Trayvon's past that would have given any indication that he would be the victim of a homicide. None of his past troubles involved violent behavior. Zimmerman, on the other hand, had a past that primarily involved physical violence. So, perhaps we should delve further into Zimmerman's past to find out "what went wrong" and "what can we do to help other young men like him".

Speaking of a race taking advantage of others within their race: Bernie Madoff, anyone?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about "indefinite detention" or "being held w/o charges".
Actually, sinetime (or whatever their screen name is) said that Zimmerman should've been held until a thorough investigation was completed.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Unarmed person doesn't know that you're armed, has you on the ground beating you and you don't believe they're going to stop. Before you go unconscious, you pull your weapon. They try to take your weapon once they see it, and you fire. Are you stupid enough to believe that just because a person is unarmed that they can't still kill you or disable you for life?
The only problem with that theory is that Zimmerman has to explain how he ended up on top of Martin immediately after the shooting. After the shot was fired, Zimmerman was found "straddling the body, basically a foot on both sides of Trayvon's body, and his hands pressed on his back." Zimmerman could claim that Martin was trying to take his weapon while he was lapsing into unconsciousness, but then it would be tough to explain how he wound up on top of the body after the shooting.

Witness: Zimmerman Straddled Trayvon - ...with hands pressed on his back: neighbors

An alternative hypothesis is that Zimmerman was fading into unconsciousness, shot Martin, and then sprung to his feet from an adrenaline rush (as if his adrenaline wasn't already going) and mounted his body right after the shooting. You could also argue that several minutes passed between the time Zimmerman shot Martin and the moment the two female witnesses come outside, thereby allowing Zimmerman time to regain consciousness and mount the body.

If Mary Cutcher (and other witnesses) testify that they came outside right after the shooting, and saw Zimmerman standing on top of the body, then it would be pretty tough for a jury to believe that he was on the brink of unconsciousness when he shot Martin. If Zimmerman was about to go unconscious, as you suggest, then the witnesses should have seen a boy lying in the grass dead and the shooter lying in the grass, on his back, alive but unconscious (or close to it).

I think any "unconsciousness" claims are also belied by Zimmerman's assertion that he was screaming like a frantic madman right before the shot was fired. But of course, Zimmerman has not stated that he was unconscious. You did.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
The hallucinatory make up the situation that suits them best as the do their politics. If it doesn't fit imagine what it would take to make it fit
When did I say this happened? I was only responding to the other post that gave Zimmerman the authority to defend himself because he thought his life was in danger. Nobody actually knows what happens. By editing out what I actually wrote, you are showing lack of credibility and honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think you added a whole lot of fluff to the scenario.
I added no more conjecture than you did. You don't know if Zimmerman was defending himself when he shot Martin and I don't know if Martin defended himself when he thought he was threatened. Both of us only know what we heard on the 911 tape and then everything is just speculation. There are even conflicting reports from eyewitnesses. However, only one of these people was armed with a 9mm weapon.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,644 times
Its just a political move.
Look at the crime data from both sides... and 17 yr ol' is not a toddler / and can be quite "full grown" (what 5'-6' = adult size).
And sorry but that shooter looks more hispanic than white.

Hmmm... maybe illegally using someone else's SS#????
I know they do that a lot.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I do understand, but let's just check the FAA, okay?

This is too long, so I am copying & pasting a section from the FAA rules about a pilot's application. Also, there is a huge difference between working for a commercial airline and getting your pilot's license. If you are really a pilot, you'd know that.

Sec. 61.15 — Offenses involving alcohol or drugs.

(a) A conviction for the violation of any Federal or State statute relating to the growing, processing, manufacture, sale, disposition, possession, transportation, or importation of narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulant drugs or substances is grounds for:
(1) Denial of an application for any certificate, rating, or authorization issued under this part for a period of up to 1 year after the date of final conviction; or

It's very long, but my point is this is a teenager and he was never arrested for anything. He wasn't even expelled from school. The only reason some of these so-called records were leaked, which is inexcusable, is to smear the teenager's reputation. Period. Now you are posting that he's some kind of drug addict or drug dealer.

He'd dead, so he can't become a pilot or aspire to anything else, can he? Of course, we all know how perfect we were when we were in high school or college. There are no doctors, no politicians, no firefighters or police officers who tried a little dope in their teens. There are no teachers, social workers or great leaders who experimented with alcohol or drugs in their youth either. Yup!
The FAA can, and does, exercise sole discretion as to who it will issue a pilot certficate. Assuming that the pilot in question gets past the FAA (think liability), then he/she will likely not be hired by an air carrier of any kind (think liability.)

Further, the Airline Transport Pilot certificate....a current requirement for Captain (and currently being considered by the FAA for First Officers as well) requires that the pilot be of "good moral character." Guess who gets to make that decision? Guess what they use to make that decision?

I am well aware of the regulation. I'm also well aware of what it means in reality. Travyon Martin was treading dangerously close to ruining his chosen career before he even got a chance to embark on it.

It's too bad he didn't have the parental guidance to make sure he stayed on the straight and narrow in order to achieve his goals.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The only problem with that theory is that Zimmerman has to explain how he ended up on top of Martin immediately after the shooting. After the shot was fired, Zimmerman was found "straddling the body, basically a foot on both sides of Trayvon's body, and his hands pressed on his back." Zimmerman could claim that Martin was trying to take his weapon while he was lapsing into unconsciousness, but then it would be tough to explain how he wound up on top of the body after the shooting.

Witness: Zimmerman Straddled Trayvon - ...with hands pressed on his back: neighbors

An alternative hypothesis is that Zimmerman was fading into unconsciousness, shot Martin, and then sprung to his feet from an adrenaline rush (as if his adrenaline wasn't already going) and mounted his body right after the shooting. You could also argue that several minutes passed between the time Zimmerman shot Martin and the moment the two female witnesses come outside, thereby allowing Zimmerman time to regain consciousness and mount the body.

If Mary Cutcher (and other witnesses) testify that they came outside right after the shooting, and saw Zimmerman standing on top of the body, then it would be pretty tough for a jury to believe that he was on the brink of unconsciousness when he shot Martin. If Zimmerman was about to go unconscious, as you suggest, then the witnesses should have seen a boy lying in the grass dead and the shooter lying in the grass, on his back, alive but unconscious (or close to it).
Go back and read my post. Someone was asking for a scenario where you would have to shoot an unarmed person, and I listed a scenario. Go back and find where I said that's what happened with Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies