Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,798,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Another "Modest Proposal" from the right for handling the "excess burden"... Let the snakes eat 'em.
Don't send the homeless - send animal-rights activists. After all, they ar the ones who keep insisting that animals must be treated the same as humans, if not better.

There's even an nice acryonym, all ready to go:

Pythons
Eating
Tasty
Activists

Sounds like a plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
More wildlife was affected in the Everglades by the aggressive water "management" or rather mismanagement policies in Florida over the decades, than a few pythons loose. No one seems to scream and rant about that issue...I guess it is not too sensational to write headlines about greedy farmers in Florida who took acres of water from normal drainage and turned the Everglades into a virtual desert, eliminating and descimating animal habitat. That is the real crime, and completely changed the landscape of the Everglades. But no one cares about that virtual environmental rape. Let's just blame pythons for all of the problems.
Of course the farms and big sugar around Okeechobee has had a major impact on the glades and has been extensively written about. The 'glades was not, is not, a virtual desert before the pythons but, the pythons are not "a few pythons loose". It is a compounding problems and we have to start somewhere. At one point in recent time, Florida was going to buy out the sugar interests and the whole deal was probably interconnected with greed, corruption and politics but, where do you start ? Yes, there is/was mismanagement of water. I don't know all the answers but I know poopooing the invasive species is not the answer. There are very few lakes left in Florida that is not covered up with hydrilla. That is an invasive specie of water grass that clogs up boat motors and the waterways. Yes, I understand the fish like it but, what about swimmers, recreational boaters ?
Florida is a breeding ground for anything that comes along because of the lax laws and temperate climate. Most humans are a bad enemy of old Mother Nature, JMO.

eta: don't forget we had to stop the killing of plume birds in the 'glades before whole specie were decimated to extinction. they still haven't completely recovered.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM

52,735 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is pretty damn shameful...
shameful? maybe. shortsighted and stupid, certainly.

Quote:
Either way, when has a Republican after Teddy Roosevelt ever shown any respect for the environment????
which president created the evironmental protection agency?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,458,269 times
Toyman - the Feds introduced non-native alligators into the Tennessee River a few decades ago - now we have a thriving (and expanding) population. Turns out they tolerate cold winter weather after all. No natural predators and now we've got 12-14 foot gators that are illegal to shoot. Thanks Feds!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,422,658 times
It isn't just the everglades.

They took two captured "birthed" American wild pythons that were found in Florida to North Carolina.

The put them in an enclosure over the winter, exposed to the elements.

No one suspected they would survive. The winter was particularly harsh (I believe this was two or three years ago).

They survived.

Pythons have been found with alligators in their bellies. Their numbers are increasing. They aren't going away, and it won't be just Florida.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM

52,735 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

They took two captured "birthed" American wild pythons that were found in Florida to North Carolina.

No one suspected they would survive. The winter was particularly harsh (I believe this was two or three years ago).

They survived.

Pythons have been found with alligators in their bellies. Their numbers are increasing. They aren't going away, and it won't be just Florida.
pythons are just the tiny tip of the iceberg when it comes to introduced, invasive species causing havoc.

your story sounds familiar though. when i lived in west texas in the 80s, no one believed that fire ants could survive that far north.

they were wrong.

Invasive species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,223,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The state of Florida, in its infinite wisdom, decided that one has to have a permit and a season to hunt pythons.
They are all the way up here in Central Florida, we saw one not long ago.
Poor thing died from fright!
Very interesting, thanks for the info.

Question kshe, do people who live in Florida consider this python/anaconda issue to be a national disgrace and something to be ashamed of?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

They survived.

I saw that same program but I can't remember what channel it was on and can't find it with google. I think it may have been Nature or Nat Geo. People are in denial.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
shameful? maybe. shortsighted and stupid, certainly.

Yes, shameful. The GOP outlook on the environment is absolutely shameful. They backpedaled on environmental issues as only true hyoocrites are want to do.

Whichever one it was, the GOP is doing one helluva job trying to corrupt and dismantle it.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
More wildlife was affected in the Everglades by the aggressive water "management" or rather mismanagement policies in Florida over the decades, than a few pythons loose. No one seems to scream and rant about that issue...I guess it is not too sensational to write headlines about greedy farmers in Florida who took acres of water from normal drainage and turned the Everglades into a virtual desert, eliminating and descimating animal habitat. That is the real crime, and completely changed the landscape of the Everglades. But no one cares about that virtual environmental rape. Let's just blame pythons for all of the problems.
The issue seems to be that the pythons are eating everything in site.
One of the links I perused discussed a python eating a 6 foot alligator.
Apparently all smaller species are being eaten.
Pythons can have 54 progeny at a time.

Why do we have Burmese pythons being imported?
I can't bring cheese from Europe into the US. The cheese is processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies