Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 PM

30,601 posts, read 52,341,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Have you ever seen photos of people they capture with these exotic pets...more often than not in Florida? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Yes, I see "them" every day when I look into the mirror... and "they" look pretty darned normal to me! I also see them when I visit certain friends, or when I'm conversing with people on my snake forums - and yet again, they look just like anyone else you'd encounter in the streets. What was your point, exactly?

P.S. These exotic pets are legal in most states/cities, so people aren't generally being "captured" with them. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Glad to hear there is some progress!

Snake keeping isn't bad (snakes are probably more appropriate to being kept in confinement as pets than most other animals)...humans just need to be responsible, like all pet owners. Spay and neuter your pets, and don't let them roam free outdoors - it's not just dangerous toward people and other animals, it's dangerous for them too!
Agreed!! Well, with everything except for spaying and neutering snakes... I don't even think that's possible, LOL.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Now we are getting somewhere, trained dogs to seek out the pythons. Funding for the program and limited number of dogs are a problem, but at least some progress is being made.
www.saltyeggs.com/everglades-best-friend-ecodogs-python/
www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/auburn-university-ecodogs-sniff-out-invaders
My dog could probably do that, in fact he's already somewhat trained to find snakes and wayward feeder rodents... all I have to do is say "where's the snake/rat?" and he goes a-looking! He is actually more of a herding dog (as opposed to scent hound or hunter), but still knows how to use that nose.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:27 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,239,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Have you ever seen photos of people they capture with these exotic pets...more often than not in Florida? A picture is worth a thousand words.
I agree that really big snakes should fit the definition of an exotic and be illegal. Could, say, a 14 foot long snake live on rats alone? It's a sad thought to think if might be fed larger animals, like rabbits and dare I say anything else. They might eat such things in the wild, but it's not really a fair fight to drop them into an enclosed space with no escape route. It's practically animal cruelty, I think, which many of us accept at a certain level, but there is a cultural threshold there somewhere that needs to be enforced. For instance, if cats and dogs are routinely butchered and eaten in Asia, should we as a society allow that to happen here? No.

I don't have a problem with the confinement of snakes, and certainly think that a reasonable sized snake would make a fine pet. Other exotics, are more questionable. Elephants will kill humans in the wild if they feel like they've been disrespected. A tiger that would love to roam free or a gorilla that gets depressed during imprisonment are obvious instances of animals that should be protected from mistreatment.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,958,742 times
Looks like there might soon be a new dish on the menu for those pythons
Giant, nine-pound Gambian rats invading Florida Keys | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM

41,457 posts, read 60,161,575 times
The pythons might have a new food supply but the rat problem might have a fix. Gee, a nine pound rat would make a good .22 target for my failing eyesite. Easier to hit than the two pound variety.

FWIW - Sending a dog after a 20 ft constrictor snake is called feeding exotic wildlife not hunting.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 AM

93 posts, read 72,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Bugs are a little trickier but they can be eliminated too. Just modify their genes with mutations that will make them weaker and let them breed to circulate the bad genes. Just weakening the immune systems of cockroaches would put a large dent in their population. Unfortunately, the biggest hurdle to eliminating cockroaches are humans that are against genetically modifying anything.
Jesus christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies