Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 AM

30,570 posts, read 52,304,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Can you eat Python? I enjoy rattle snake.
It makes me sad to read all the jokes about eating and/or killing these beautifully majestic (and usually docile) creatures... whether or not it needs to be done, I don't know, but it's still hard for somebody who loves these animals to read that stuff.

Iris: "What are they saying about us?? OMG!!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I still don't see an issue here. If pythons are the equivalent of rats then you should not need a permit to kill one found in the wild.
It depends on the exact species... some snakes are protected, and you could face a MAJOR fine for killing one. Did you know BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) was threatened with a $1M fine, and had their expansion to SFO halted, all because a San Francisco Garter was killed during construction? Not sure if any pythons fall under these regulations, but you'd best check before going huntin'!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Oh! I see...these invasive snakes are hopping on planes and ships on their own volition to enter the USA to vacation in Florida.
People breed them here in the US now, so it's no longer just about regulating importation... I'm a breeder myself, and know of hundreds more in this country alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Ive seen that show about fla fish and game and they catch them alive. Dont know why. Dosnt realy make sense.
Why not? If they can be transported to a safe facility, rather than killing them needlessly, I don't see a problem with that. Plenty of "snake farms" or private collectors will take them in, and most of us are responsible enough to not let them loose again... go on my snake forum and offer up some free Burms, you'll get more offers than you could fill!

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
They are an invasive species, they don't belong here, kill them all.

I don't know anyone in the south who would feel bad if fire ants were destroyed.

I'm not saying kill every python on the planet, plenty of them where they come from.
Many popular pets here are "invasive species," and that doesn't mean we need to kill them all - for goodness sakes, do you people have NO respect for the life of such a magnificent animal? Try killing my snakes, and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands... if I don't stop you first.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 AM

9,183 posts, read 5,871,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It makes me sad to read all the jokes about eating and/or killing these beautifully majestic (and usually docile) creatures... whether or not it needs to be done, I don't know, but it's still hard for somebody who loves these animals to read that stuff.

Hey, I love snakes, but deer are "beautifully majestic (and usually docile)
creatures" and tasty too. If a population of tasty animals is out of control,
I don't see why you have a problem eating them and using the hides.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 AM

9,183 posts, read 5,871,602 times
Quote:
I think that snake, or the ones I've eaten, tastes more similar to frog legs. I love me some fried frog legs.

Declare open season on all pythons in the United States. No limit, year round. Kill em' all. Instead of paying a bunch of park officials to taking eggs and finding snakes, let the public do it for recreation.

You know there are a lot of people who might enjoy hunting snakes that large.

They taste like frog legs?
We gotta get us some pythons.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 AM

7,984 posts, read 7,414,222 times
Maybe they could relocate them to the OWS locations. They could combat the rats (or other vermin).

Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Hey, I love snakes, but deer are "beautifully majestic (and usually docile)
creatures" and tasty too. If a population of tasty animals is out of control,
I don't see why you have a problem eating them and using the hides.
I didn't say I had a problem with it, I only said it makes me sad... I'm sad thinking about eating deer too, which is probably why I've never personally tried one. I'm just a bleeding heart when it comes to certain (most) animals, but that doesn't mean I'd stop you from eating them.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,420,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

This is not 10-20 feet long and hungry.
That's where the problems come from.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,420,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Maybe they could relocate them to the OWS locations. They could combat the rats (or other vermin).
Or to your local teabagger site. Since you insisted on making this hatefully partisan. Not that it surprises me one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies