Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,842,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I still don't see an issue here. If pythons are the equivalent of rats then you should not need a permit to kill one found in the wild.
Is it particularly easy to kill a snake, large or small?

I'm not a snake expert. But from what I've heard, they have distributed nervous systems. One gunshot generally won't do it, and even several are problematic - they generally heal up, unless a massive infection starts.

People tell me that shotguns are the way to go - they generally make so many wounds that the snake cannot survive. Unless it's a really big snake (15' or more), in which case even a shotgun blast might not do the job.

Only "real" way, is to chop off the snake's head, or otherwise cut it in pieces. And a gun won't do that. You have to get up close and personal to accomplish that.

And the snake might object, before you get the chance to swing the machete or whatever.

And they have pretty effective ways of objecting, especially the really big ones.

Hard to kill a snake if you're inside him, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM

33,116 posts, read 19,755,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Oh! I see...these invasive snakes are hopping on planes and ships on their own volition to enter the USA to vacation in Florida.
and??
this has been happening for the last 40 years

FLORIDA has enacted laws to prevent dumping......but PEOPLE (humans) still do it anyhow

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) initiated a task force to concentrate on identifying the most invasive animals. The agency created a list of "Reptiles of Concern" for the Burmese python, African rock python (Python sebae), amethystine python (Morelia amethistina), reticulated python (Python reticulatus), green anaconda (Eunectes murinus), and the Nile monitor (Varanus niloticus), all of which were chosen for their formidable sizes and aggressive natures. Florida also began requiring owners to pay a permit fee of $100 a year and place microchips on the animals.

The FWC has furthermore allowed hunters permits to capture Reptiles of Concern in a specific hunting season in wildlife management areas, euthenize the animals immediately and sell the meat and hides...

that's what florida has done

plus

To combat the number of exotic snakes in the U.S., and specifically in South Florida, the U.S. Department of the Interior added four species of snakes—Burmese pythons, two subspecies of African rock pythons (northern and southern), and the yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)—to Lacey Act provisions, making their import into the U.S. illegal, in 2012((((http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/us/flo...ban/index.html)))) U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the inclusion of these species at Everglades National Park.

that is the FEDERAL resonse

what more do you want

Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM

79,538 posts, read 61,691,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is it particularly easy to kill a snake, large or small?

I'm not a snake expert. But from what I've heard, they have distributed nervous systems. One gunshot generally won't do it, and even several are problematic - they generally heal up, unless a massive infection starts.

People tell me that shotguns are the way to go - they generally make so many wounds that the snake cannot survive. Unless it's a really big snake (15' or more), in which case even a shotgun blast might not do the job.

Only "real" way, is to chop off the snake's head, or otherwise cut it in pieces. And a gun won't do that. You have to get up close and personal to accomplish that.

And the snake might object, before you get the chance to swing the machete or whatever.

And they have pretty effective ways of objecting, especially the really big ones.

Hard to kill a snake if you're inside him, you know?
Even a huge python would be fairly easy to dispatch with a 12gauge blast to the head. You could get up to about 6 feet away and that's that.

Spotting them is a bigger issue.

An issue of national geographic magazine from over 100 years ago documents a hunter\explorer in the pacific rim shoot a very large python lurking in the branches over the trail they were on. (Likely planning to drop on unsuspected prey) I believe he mortally wounded it with a single shot.

P.S. If you are out in snake territory and fear large pythons they *hate* alchohol. In fact, some breeders keep a bottle of jack daniels etc. on hand to pour in it's mouth if it starts to attack\overpower them. Even a 15ft. burm can kill a strong male.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM

79,538 posts, read 61,691,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I was joking but um, I hate to break it to you but Florida is a known haven for people that are into illegal exotics given the warmer temps year round.

There have been SEVERAL documented snake escapes including a man that walked out into his garage one night and was faced with a 12ft. king cobra escapee.

Like I said, I follow this stuff and the general public has ZERO idea what some of their neighbors might be into.

ARFF - Exotic "Pet" Incidents in Florida

Be sure to read July 1, 2009.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,267,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Now, what eats 24 ft aggressive constrictor snakes that can swallow a small pig? Big pigs? Black Bears? Asian Tigers? Bigger snakes?
Believe that the longest one found so far was 17 ft, although there may be 20 footers. A 16 foot python was killed that had a 75 pound deer inside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is nothing in Florida that is going to match up against a burmese or reticulated python of that size. Even an 18 footer would be too much for all but a very large gator.
An adult cougar (Florida panther) or black bear would be too much for even a big snake, in fact, one of these apex predators might turn the tables and hunt the snakes. If the python were to surprise a panther or bear by ambush it would be instantly biten and clawed. A snake with 2 inch fangs driven to the hilt into it's body is going to be in a lot of hurt, and will want to get away.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,142,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and??
this has been happening for the last 40 years

FLORIDA has enacted laws to prevent dumping......but PEOPLE (humans) still do it anyhow

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) initiated a task force to concentrate on identifying the most invasive animals. The agency created a list of "Reptiles of Concern" for the Burmese python, African rock python (Python sebae), amethystine python (Morelia amethistina), reticulated python (Python reticulatus), green anaconda (Eunectes murinus), and the Nile monitor (Varanus niloticus), all of which were chosen for their formidable sizes and aggressive natures. Florida also began requiring owners to pay a permit fee of $100 a year and place microchips on the animals.

The FWC has furthermore allowed hunters permits to capture Reptiles of Concern in a specific hunting season in wildlife management areas, euthenize the animals immediately and sell the meat and hides...
The current policy is a joke that won't do anything. With a bounty of x dollars per pound and additional $ for bringing in eggs, I think the problem could be under control quickly. Find a bunch of people, train them, and send them out in groups of five in thick rubber weighters and thick rubber gloves with machetes. If one is spotted, hack it to pieces. If eggs are found, collect them. Dropping massive blocks of dry ice into the water could lure them out.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM

33,116 posts, read 19,755,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The current policy is a joke that won't do anything. With a bounty of x dollars per pound and additional $ for bringing in eggs, I think the problem could be under control quickly. Find a bunch of people, train them, and send them out in groups of five in thick rubber weighters and thick rubber gloves with machetes. If one is spotted, hack it to pieces. If eggs are found, collect them. Dropping massive blocks of dry ice into the water could lure them out.
the current policy is fine..but like most laws it needs to be ADHEARED to and enforced

you can have a dozen of the most restrictive laws on the books..but if the PEOPLE dont care or abide by those laws they mean nothing...adding new laws on top of old laws is a worthless adventure

Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,540,236 times
Python steak (1kg)
Shallots (4-5, peeled and sliced)
Turmeric powder (1 tablespoon)
Garlic (5-7 cloves, peeled and pounded)
Ginger (2-3 inches long, peeled and pounded)
Lime wedges
Kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
Lemon peel/skin
Lemon grass (ten stems, peeled; tender parts finely chopped and pounded)
Paprika (2 teaspoons)
White rice wine (4-5 pegs)
Salt (2 teaspoons)
Peanut oil (2 tablespoons)
Chillies or black pepper seeds (as much as you like, pounded)
Several pints of mountain spring water

Sounds like its time for a new hunting season to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,425,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Python steak (1kg)
Shallots (4-5, peeled and sliced)
Turmeric powder (1 tablespoon)
Garlic (5-7 cloves, peeled and pounded)
Ginger (2-3 inches long, peeled and pounded)
Lime wedges
Kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
Lemon peel/skin
Lemon grass (ten stems, peeled; tender parts finely chopped and pounded)
Paprika (2 teaspoons)
White rice wine (4-5 pegs)
Salt (2 teaspoons)
Peanut oil (2 tablespoons)
Chillies or black pepper seeds (as much as you like, pounded)
Several pints of mountain spring water

Sounds like its time for a new hunting season to me.
You forgot the calories.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,540,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You forgot the calories.
Its the south, calories be damned, how does it taste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies