Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You saying GOP is pro-python?
There were some very funny comments about this issue in some of the links I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
As a (smaller species) python collector myself, I only care that these irresponsible morons are giving us responsible owners a bad name - and in the process, causing government action banning the import of certain species. A few links on that:

Pet Related Laws & Legislation
http://united-states-association-of-...milies-alread/
U.S. bans imports of 4 exotic snake species - CNN

Thankfully these bans don't affect me personally, but they're a bad omen of things to come... and one day they might come after my harmless little snakes, forcing me to make some difficult decisions (break the law or surrender my beloved pets). What we need to do is go after the irresponsible owners, who are releasing these snakes into the wild, and maybe tighten up the regulations on who's allowed to purchase them. Right now you can walk into a place like East Bay Vivarium, and purchase a little Burmese baby with no screening process. Those cute little things eventually grow as big as 18-23ft, and their owners suddenly realize "Wait, I have to provide housing and food for this gigantic snake? Guess I'll just let them go!"

Increased government intervention isn't the solution, IMO... education and better screening at the time of purchase is a better way to handle this, rather than punishing us responsible owners/breeders and potentially destroying a multi-million dollar industry. I know people who do this (breeding, selling, educational programs, etc) as their SOLE profession, and they don't deserve to lose their livelihood because of some idiots in Florida. My two cents, as probably the only one personally affected by this issue on the thread.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-20-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I will start worrying when Pythons are taking over Yellowstone Park, and with global warming, that may not be too far away.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM

P.S. As mentioned in my first sentence, I don't collect anything as large as a Burm... my biggest snake is a Jungle Carpet Python, who will eventually reach 6-7ft (he's still growing), and most are in the 4-5ft range. If I let one of mine go loose here in Northern CA, they'd most likely die within a month - and if they did survive, it would only affect the rodent population. Who needs more mice & rats, anyway? But of course, I would never ever do such a thing!!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM

One more thing, LOL. Banning the importation of these animals, which is all that's being done right now, doesn't really help the problem anyway... there are SO many collectors and breeders/dealers in the United States, the industry will survive even without importation (although it does hurt a bit). I'm a breeder myself, selling Ball Pythons and Spotted Pythons, who are all laid & hatched right here in my California home - and I only sell locally, so the inter-state transfer laws also don't affect me.

I do screen my buyers, btw, and have rejected more than one potential owner over the years. Since I only do this as a hobby and on a very small scale, it's easy for me to be picky about who buys them. Not so easy for the large-scale dealers, though!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,402 times
Florida needed to attack the Pythons as CA does a fruit fly. Now they have the problem.

The only solution at this point will be to control them. Wiping them out is no longer possible....

That by the way is exactly what CA has striven to avoid.

And that problem was a fruit destructor.

Perhaps a biological solution will be discovered...but short of that they are likely in the Everglades forever. And likely the local fauna will have to adopt...mostly by ceasing to exist.

Sad but likely a done deal..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thankfully these bans don't affect me personally, but they're a bad omen of things to come... and one day they might come after my harmless little snakes, forcing me to make some difficult decisions (break the law or surrender my beloved pets).

Faced with that dilemma, many
owners would release their pets
rather than turn them in to be killed.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I think what is shameful and a national disgrace are the clueless ying-yangs who were personally irresponsible and dumped their snakes into an eco system that was never meant to support them.
It's inevitable that such species will make it into the environment, from my understanding the big issues started after some of the recent hurricanes. There was even breeding farms that got wiped out.

The only way you can prevent these species from becoming an issue is to never let them in to begin with. Even with strict controls it's going to be hard enough to prevent these problems.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I will start worrying when Pythons are taking over Yellowstone Park, and with global warming, that may not be too far away.
The projections I've seen suggest they will spread to much of the Southeast states as far north as the Carolina's or possibly into the Virgina's and Maryland. They are really unsure how much cold they will be able to handle, the big concern is if they cross breed with native snake and take on the genes that allow them to live in colder climate.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry. I'm not clear on what you think is shameful and a national disgrace?

The government not acting on it years ago?

Personally, I think what is shameful and a national disgrace are the clueless ying-yangs who were personally irresponsible and dumped their snakes into an eco system that was never meant to support them.
There is some evidence that the "ying-yangs" may not be the only ones responsible for letting them loose. The hurricane that wiped out Homestead may have also released them from the zoo. There were a number of other animals that got loose when the zoo was damaged, and not all the snakes were recovered.

It's not just pythons A couple of months ago, animal planet did a piece on people that were bitten by poisonous snakes. A resident of Miami was working in his back yard and was bitten by a slender green snake. It turned out to be a Green African Mamba. The hope is that it is the only one and will not be able to reproduce.

Pythons, in the wild, seem to be interbreeding as well. A Burmese Python is huge. A Rock Python is very aggressive. Mix the two and you have a very aggressive, huge snake. Again, if you watch Animal Planet, Swamp Wars, you'll be able to see the guys that are always catching pythons around the Miami area.

While they seem to be most heavily concentrated in the southeast part of Florida, they have been found pythons north of Orlando, along the gulf coast areas. Unchecked, they are expected to spread as far north as Tennessee, and eventually all southern states. Currently, snakes kept as pets are required to have microchips. I would hate to have them find a snake, with a microchip registered to me, in the wild. I don't know what the fine is, and I don't expect to find out the hard way. I do not have any snakes.

But, it's not just pythons. There are also Nile Monitor Lizards and a species of rat that grows quite large that have been imported and released. All are considered "invasive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies