Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times

Advertisements

Bill would ban baggage fees on 1st bag - Nov. 22, 2011

OK, who here is smart enough to realize that an outright ban on baggage fees would ultimately lead to higher air fares for the consumer?

Also, is it the government's role to tell businesses what to charge for their services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Bill would ban baggage fees on 1st bag - Nov. 22, 2011

OK, who here is smart enough to realize that an outright ban on baggage fees would ultimately lead to higher air fares for the consumer?
I would rather pay higher fair than be chump changed into baggage fees and snacks.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
No kidding.

Airlines were deregulated over 30 years ago. This was HUGELY beneficial to the vast majority of Americans - before then, most could not afford to fly, now almost everyone can and does.

Why continue the process of re-regulation? The airlines are private businesses and should be permitted to set their own prices for the various services they provide (I'm counting transportation of bags as an additional service...the bags take up space in the cargo hold and the weight results in additional fuel being used).

Now I will say this - they are using these fees as a means of tax evasion. That should not be allowed. The taxes collected on fares should also be collected on these fees.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would rather pay higher fair than be chump changed into baggage fees and snacks.
Why? There's no difference between being charged $25 extra for bags vs $25 for extra fare, except for those of us who carry-on, we'll be the ones who suffer.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Economically illiterate morons, I swear.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
And if it were passed, the ticket prices would just go up.

A stupid law for our federal government to even consider.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Typical brilliant plan from the 4th generation congresswoman.

Of course, Average Joe consumer will think it's a deal while, as you mentioned, the airlines will just tack it onto their ticket price.

Gotta love politicians. Always trying to look like the hero.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
LOL....does anyone in this forum actually need to be explained why this might be the most ignorant post EVER put forth in any forum anywhere?

Tell ya what. Look up the words "money" and "fungibility" and decide if you want to retract this statement.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Why? There's no difference between being charged $25 extra for bags vs $25 for extra fare, except for those of us who carry-on, we'll be the ones who suffer.
People have better visibility to fares than hidden charges, or be controlled to plan their trips by the airlines. So, they can shop for best fare. It is why I chose to book tickets on British Airways to London last month, even though the flight was by American Airlines. If I were to book on American Airlines, we would have gotten the same flight, but paid $120 more on bags, but about $100 less on tickets. So, even though the tickets were cheaper under American Airlines, the expense was lower on British Airways. But even if that weren't the case, I would still choose an airline that respects its customers more and affords greater freedom.

BTW, American Airlines is the only one of five airlines I've considered/flown this year that has the stupid baggage fee on second bag on international flights. The others being Lufthansa (Germany), British Airways, Jet Airways (India) and Air India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL....does anyone in this forum actually need to be explained why this might be the most ignorant post EVER put forth in any forum anywhere? Tell ya what. Look up the words "money" and "fungibility" and decide if you want to retract this statement.
Not really. Ignorance rules these forums, your post illustrates just that.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 11-23-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
People have better visibility to fares than hidden charges, or be controlled to plan their trips by the airlines. So, they can shop for best fare. It is why I chose to book tickets on British Airways to London last month, even though the flight was by American Airlines. If I were to book on American Airlines, we would have gotten the same flight, but paid $120 more on bags, but about $100 less on tickets. So, even though the tickets were cheaper under American Airlines, the expense was lower on British Airways. But even if that weren't the case, I would still choose an airline that respects its customers more and affords greater freedom.
Look at that - you, the consumer, were able to do your homework and find the best rate, despite baggage fees.

Do you think that you're smarter than everyone else? Oh wait.. "Einstein's Ghost"...

Newsflash - you're not. And the only things that a law like this would do are add more unnecessary regulation and bloat, and it would penalize people like myself that travel light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies