Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,495,120 times

Advertisements

Obama squashed the Arizona illegal alien law. Obama is the anti-defender of America. I would say that Obama is the threat to American security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM

327 posts, read 321,061 times
Mexico seems to be winning if we are at war.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,020,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I disagree. I think that action on the border involving the US military would not only make problems much worse, I believe that fighting would become much more vicious, ruthless, and it'd be very close to home. Do you really want a bunch of thugs who have proven their willingness to commit horrible acts deciding that they want to come up into the border states to bring the fight to us, like we've been doing to other people? Imagine San Diego, or Tucson, or Phoenix turning into the warzone instead of Juarez.

How would you solve the situation then?
What evidence do you have that sealing the border with use of the military leads to vicous, ruthless fighting?

You are claiming the drug lords would go to war with the US military on US soil?

And to prevent this we should just let our borders remain pourous?

I'd like to read about this theory. Do you have any expert sources that make your argument?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,213,645 times
If Mexico hadn't bought into the greed is good bull****, the multinational corporations would never have taken over Mexico. Give the land back to the people, legalize drugs, and the drug cartels won't have any leverage over broken people with nothing else to do except to get filthy, stinking rich fighting over turf. Many of the wars on the border happened because of multinationals taking over these areas, which left the peasants without any land. Of course, they are mad. Of course, they are going to end up here.

Greed and it's consequences will bite the whole world in it's big, fat, stupid ass soon enough.

Totus mundus stultizat.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,695,587 times
I agree... They are all over the country, they are not 5000 miles away in the Middle East.

They are our neighbors for God's sake! One would think people would focus more on that country because they are so close...but no....

It took me a long time to realize this but what are we fighting for over there? We are not defending our freedom by being in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. Terrorists are born everyday; they will always be around. You kill 1, 100 more will come. You can't get rid of all of them. It is all a waste of money.

How about we defend our freedom HERE? How about we enforce the laws in the books? Why is it so hard to understand that?!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM

25,843 posts, read 20,790,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Being defenseless against an invasion is worse. We have troops and it does not make sense we are defending other countries for free

Are you scared to defend your country?
We aren't doing it for 'free.' We wouldn't be anywhere near those countries if there wasn't something material to be gained by being there.

I continue to be fascinated by the OP's fixation with the border. On any given weekend there are more murders in NYC than there have been in El Paso and Las Cruces combined in the past three or four years total.
Surely the OP has some suggestions for managing crime in his or her own backyard?

Yes, there have been unspeakable horrors perpetrated in Juarez and elsewhere in Mexico, however, to suggest, as the blogger quoted by the OP does, that there have been more deaths 'on the border' than there have been in Iraq is absolute rubbish.
This fact alone renders this 'expert' completely incredible.

There is more security on the border now than there has ever been.
But, then, when the governor of Texas repeatedly implies that a city in his state is unsafe despite being one of the safest large cities in the U.S., and shows his ignorance of the fact that drones are already patrolling the border, and have been for some time, what chance does the average citizen have of actually learning the truth?

U.S. border cities prove havens from Mexico's drug violence - USATODAY.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/op...t-el-paso.html

http://thestantonmagazine.com/2011/0...y-assumptions/

Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,498,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Being defenseless against an invasion is worse. We have troops and it does not make sense we are defending other countries for free

Are you scared to defend your country?
I agree, we seem to have no problems defending this Country and that Country, but when it comes to defending our own Country and our open vicious borders, we can't, and why is that, just why is that!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,213,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
We aren't doing it for 'free.' We wouldn't be anywhere near those countries if there wasn't something material to be gained by being there.

Of course.

I hope our army wakes up, soon. They are sacrificing themselves for all the wrong reasons; so we can wear jeans, I once heard a country song declare.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,695,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I continue to be fascinated by the OP's fixation with the border. On any given weekend there are more murders in NYC than there have been in El Paso and Las Cruces combined in the past three or four years total.
Surely the OP has some suggestions for managing crime in his or her own backyard?

Yes, there have been unspeakable horrors perpetrated in Juarez and elsewhere in Mexico, however, to suggest, as the blogger quoted by the OP does, that there have been more deaths 'on the border' than there have been in Iraq is absolute rubbish.
This fact alone renders this 'expert' completely incredible.

There is more security on the border now than there has ever been.
I see you have been drinking Napolitano's Kool-Aid!

Funny how the authorities in Arizona seem to disagree with your statement. It's not like they know what they are talking about...!

Just because El Paso seems safer than Ciudad Juarez (Ciudad Juarez is the most dangerous city in the world after all) doesn't mean it is as safe as it should be. So do you want to compare the US to Mexico now?

And you also realize that the violence won't always stay just around the border right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/us...pagewanted=all

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-02-26-drugs_N.htm (broken link)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041901916.html

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...oil/?page=full

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...25cartels.html

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 10-18-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM

25,843 posts, read 20,790,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I see you have been drinking Napolitano's Kool-Aid!

Funny how the authorities in Arizona seem to disagree with your statement. It's not like they know what they are talking about...!

Just because El Paso seems safer than Ciudad Juarez (Ciudad Juarez is the most dangerous city in the world after all) doesn't mean it is as safe as it should be. So do you want to compare the US to Mexico now?

And you also realize that the violence won't always stay just around the border right?

Mexican Drug Cartel Violence Spills Over, Alarming U.S. - NYTimes.com

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-02-26-drugs_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-02-26-drugs_N.htm - broken link)

From Mexico, Drug Violence Spills Into U.S.

Mexican drug cartels now doing business on US soil - The Boston Globe

Napolitano: Mexican drug cartels threaten U.S. cities
I see you live in Boston, far, far, far away from any first-hand knowledge of what actually goes on in a border city, whereas I live 40 miles from Juarez.
I know of what I speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies