Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Boondocks and their character Uncle Ruckus politically incorrect
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times

Advertisements

I don't watch it, so I can't comment. The neat thing about TV, if you don't like a show...you don't watch it.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What, exactly, is "political correctness?" It's someone else saying you're wrong if you aren't in line with their belief system.

Why should it be the case that you're right and I'm wrong? Couldn't I be right and you wrong?

The moment some high-and-mighty, crusading do-gooder tells me something is politically incorrect, the first thought that jumps into my mind is, I've gotta check this out!
Political correctness is a meaningless slogan of people who don't like to be held responsible for the ideas and the words they present to the word. So whenever they are called to account for those things, they say I am being persecuted because I am not politically correct. It is a why to avoid discussing their ideas or words and instead change the subject to nonsense.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Uncle Ruckus rocks and its so true!!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
If you want to watch something that is definitely not "PC" watch South Park. Hi-freaking-larious.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
I think it falls under the category of satire.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Uncle Ruckus is a great tv cartoon character, but a Real life Uncle Ruckus would be a miserable jerk and insane.

Such a man would believe he had reverse vitiligo in which his white skin was turned black. He would worship white people, and would loudly repeat this fact.

He would write explicitly racist songs with a racist country music singer. He would promote a religion based on explicit hatred of black people which encouraged you to go up and hit black people.

These are all things that the Uncle Ruckus character has done on the show. It was hilarious. I loved boondocks it was a great show. I thought Uncle Ruckus was the funniest character.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If you want to watch something that is definitely not "PC" watch South Park. Hi-freaking-larious.
I love that show too. Cartman ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Uncle Ruckus is a great tv cartoon character, but a Real life Uncle Ruckus would be a miserable jerk and insane.

Such a man would believe he had reverse vitiligo in which his white skin was turned black. He would worship white people, and would loudly repeat this fact.

He would write explicitly racist songs with a racist country music singer. He would promote a religion based on explicit hatred of black people which encouraged you to go up and hit black people.

These are all things that the Uncle Ruckus character has done on the show. It was hilarious. I loved boondocks it was a great show. I thought Uncle Ruckus was the funniest character.
And I know a guy just like that..younger but he fits the character perfectly...and we now all call him Uncle Ruckus

Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

And I know a guy just like that..younger but he fits the character perfectly...and we now all call him Uncle Ruckus
No real human being can be Uncle Ruckus. Uncle Ruckus worshipped white people and white skin, thought he suffered from reverse vitiligo, created a religion based on hatred of black people which encouraged its members to beat the black out of people, and created racist songs with a racist country singer.

Uncle Ruckus normally calls black people racist names like gorilla, monkey, coon, etc.

I doubt if the guy you are referring to has done any of those things or anything close to approaching those things.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I laugh at it for the exact same reasons that black people laugh at various white (and black) stand-up comics who's bits are centered around "Man, white people, they're a trip. White people do <launch bit from here>".......because it's funny.

Just because a certain ethnicity doesn't get brought up in a certain culture doesn't mean that ethnicity isn't smart enough to figure out that culture's quirks or understand that culture. It's an insult to the intelligence of the person you're claiming can't figure it out.
I don't see satire & comedy as the same thing. They might both make you laugh, but they serve different purposes. So while Boondocks has both satire & comedy, stand up rarely has satire, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Do you see a difference between what Boondocks satirizes vs what they're joking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's incredibly un-PC and I love Aaron McGruder for it.

@Eddie I like it for its wit and social commentary. And it seems like the show tries to promote some good morals for the most part. The characters are all pretty great. I'll certainly never connect with the show the way black folks will, but I still find it entertaining.
I don't think you need to be Black to connect with the show, just open to the idea that Black people can be fed up with the same buffoonery that the rest of the world is. The fact that you understand that there's a witty side & a social commentary side shows that you probably could connect with the show's intention more than some Black people out there.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
...respect mah authoritah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies