Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Boondocks and their character Uncle Ruckus politically incorrect
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Many whites and other ethnicities might not understand the Boondocks, but I guarantee that every black knows at least one or two characters in real life which makes it funny.

Uncle Ruckus - A blackman that is ashamed of being black
Riley - a wannabe thug
Huey - a conscious blackman
Grandad - Old blackman set in his ways and is clueless as to what is going on
Thugnificent - ignorant rapper
Thomas Dubois - professional blackman with white wife
Sarah Dubois - cool white wife who tolerates her lame husband
Jasmine Dubois - confused biracial daughter
I'm black and I don't know any of those people. I think the need to reduce complex human beings to racial caricatures or tv characters is very simple minded.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Many Black people have been made to believe that being Black was a curse, something horrible, and that being White was a blessing. It is that demise of self-esteem that makes many people wonder if people really believe Jesus was White or if they were being told that out of some other reason.

Actually it was religion that came up with the idea that black people were cursed from the decendant of Hamm. This was taught in Christianity, Mormonism, catholism and in some forms of judaism. This is one of the reasons that Islam has so many black Americans in it's ranks eventhough they have enslaved blacks as well. Blacks were led to believe during slavery that they were suppose to be slaves and that the "white Jesus" was the true god, this helped in keeping them subservant to their masters.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I'm black and I don't know any of those people. I think the need to reduce complex human beings to racial caricatures or tv characters is very simple minded.
Well that proably means that you do not live around blacks or you are the UNCLE RUCKUS of the group

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If you can't see anything offensive when it is completely offensive to me, we are definitely on different wave lengths.. i see it as racist garbage for blacks and whites.

Well quit your bitchin' and don't watch it and be happy watching faux news

Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How is anything Ruckus saying the truth?
His words mirror the actions of others who are in denial of who and what they are

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Well that proably means that you do not live around blacks or you are the UNCLE RUCKUS of the group
No uncle Ruckus does believe in stereotyping and reducing people to racial caricatures. You sure you watched the show?

My whole family is black. I have been around and still am around black people my whole life. I have never met any of those tv characters or racial caricatures in my life, that because I understand that human beings are more complex than either.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
South park is genius as well.
Perfect example of political satire in a cartoon form, the things that are on South Park are not that much different than Boondocks except that it has become more aaccepted by mainstream media. They both made fun of R Kelly and mimic sociaty at large regardless of how painful it is.

There are people that think that Boondocks is racist but don't give south Park a second thought why? When Cartman acted like Hitler and manipulated the town was that not racist? Sure but it was funny as heck! Now a blackman has done exactly the same thing but put more emphasis on the characters and now it is racist? BS!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You have a gross misunderstanding of how race functions in this world.

First the whole idea of race was created in America during the slave trade. Up until that point, human beings never classified themselves on the basis of skin color. Language, religion, customs, etc were the basis of human identity.

But in this nation, this perverted idea of race was introduced by white slaveholders to justify enslaving other human beings and treating them like animals. This is were this idea of the inherent inferiority of black people was introduced and embraced by Europeans on this land.

Sadly, this fabricated white racially identity became a key marker of differentiating Europeans from American whites. In that Europeans who came to this nation largely abandoned their old cultural ethnic identity and embraced this new one of being a white American.

So the black racial identity was forced upon the enslaved. They had no choice in the matter.

So these racial categories were defined that to be white was to be the supreme human being and understand that white Americans embraced this identity, and to be black was to be the scum of the earth and again understand that white Americans embraced that identity.

In the end race is not about what those labeled black want, because what we want is ours as AMERICANS.

Race has and continues to be about white Americans. What does it mean to be a white American without white skin privilege, without racial discrimination against all groups, without the very ideas that are the foundation of that identity?

White Americans still have not figured this out. So racial division continues.
Better check the history books about slavery. It is not just a black race that were slaves. Actually the Italians and Irish were not considered white nor accepted.

Irish Slavery

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Many whites and other ethnicities might not understand the Boondocks, but I guarantee that every black person knows at least one or two characters in real life which makes it so funny.

Uncle Ruckus - A blackman that is ashamed of being black
Riley - a wannabe thug
Huey - a conscious blackman
Grandad - Old blackman set in his ways and is clueless as to what is going on
Thugnificent - ignorant rapper
Thomas Dubois - professional blackman with white wife
Sarah Dubois - cool white wife who tolerates her lame husband
Jasmine Dubois - confused biracial daughter
Ed Wuncler Sr - Old rich white dude
Ed Wuncler jr - Spoiled rich white kid that embraces the hood culture
Gin Rummy - white thug wannabe
People have too much time on their hands to invent all these stereotypes . weird.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Actually it was religion that came up with the idea that black people were cursed from the decendant of Hamm. This was taught in Christianity, Mormonism, catholism and in some forms of judaism. This is one of the reasons that Islam has so many black Americans in it's ranks eventhough they have enslaved blacks as well. Blacks were led to believe during slavery that they were suppose to be slaves and that the "white Jesus" was the true god, this helped in keeping them subservant to their masters.
I ran into one person who believed that too and I told him off. The bible is plain. You are what you believe. Yet truth reigns.. God's word is true and takes precedence over man's beliefs..This is the actual truth. Everyone is born in the image of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies