Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Boondocks and their character Uncle Ruckus politically incorrect
Yes 7 36.84%
No 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM

13,186 posts, read 12,379,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But Tom DuBois is happily married with a child. I'm single, no kids, and a recent college grad. I was hinting towards a teenager Black male who is nerdy, single, socially awkward, kind of like how I was in high school.
Hmm, interesting but how would they introduce that character into the show since riley and Huey are not even teenagers and Uncle Ruckus would not have anything that positive in his family. Wait, maybe he can be a relative of Tom?

I better write to the producers for the rights as soon as I find away to make him really funny

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,747,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
These stereotypes aren't made up. I understand the Boondocks one hundred percent. Why? I live in the same exact town where the creator Aaron McGruder grew up in Columbia, Maryland. The fictional town of Woodcrest is blatantly based on Columbia, MD. All of the animated locales on the show mirror real life places in Columbia (i.e. Woodcrest Post Pavillion = Merriweather Post Pavilion). The stuck up elitist attitudes of the rich and upper middle class white people on the Boondocks (i.e. the "Garden Party" episode of Season 1) are spot on of how such folks act out here. Also, there are tons of real life Riley Freemans in this town. Young Black boys who were born in nearby Baltimore city or ghetto areas in other big cities but live in the county and feel the need to prove how "hood" they are at every chance to old White grandmothers and the like. Characters like Uncle Ruckus are representative of the older mentally-ill self hating Black man. There are many an Uncle Ruckus in every big city in America. I remember a few years ago when I walked by the Lexington Market metro in downtown Baltimore, I heard an overweight older Black man yelling "I hate Black people!" and he was dead serious. I couldn't help but think of Uncle Ruckus.
You just blew my mind out of the water, into another body of water, and then out of that body of water. It totally IS Columbia!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No uncle Ruckus does believe in stereotyping and reducing people to racial caricatures. You sure you watched the show?

My whole family is black. I have been around and still am around black people my whole life. I have never met any of those tv characters or racial caricatures in my life, that because I understand that human beings are more complex than either.

So you don't get it...fine don't watch it!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I ran into one person who believed that too and I told him off. The bible is plain. You are what you believe. Yet truth reigns.. God's word is true and takes precedence over man's beliefs..This is the actual truth. Everyone is born in the image of God.
Ok, I will make it simple for you. The people that lived in that area at the time were dark skinned people, so therefore the odds of a white blond hair blue eyed Jesus did not exist

Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,323,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So you don't get it...fine don't watch it!
Huh?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am not defensive. I am actually trying to take the stigma of racism away. Many people in the past have been slaves. It is not just a black person who has history of slavery in the past. Many whites were looked down by the Europeans and killed and treated badly. Read about the Irish slavery and the black slavery. The black slaves were valued over the irish slaves.

Even when coming to America the Irish were not accepted as white, and the italians were called WOPS.. without papers. Acceptance was not the rule here in America.

You cannot take the "stigma" out of slavery and there was no comparision between the enslavement of the peoples of Africa here in America and the enslavement of other people. American slavery was set up based upon racial superiority and continues today. this is unlike the enslavement of the Irish, who over time have been embraced and accepted by their past slavemasters since in reality they were indentured servants and were given their freedom after a specific point in time.

"Those who do not understand their history are unable to teach their children what their ancestors have learned" ------Simonism

Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme73 View Post
huh?
if...you...do...not...understand....what...the.... show...is...about.....don't....watch....it!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

73,267 posts, read 63,186,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hmm, interesting but how would they introduce that character into the show since riley and Huey are not even teenagers and Uncle Ruckus would not have anything that positive in his family. Wait, maybe he can be a relative of Tom?

I better write to the producers for the rights as soon as I find away to make him really funny
You're on to something. Make it a relative of Tom's. Or even make it a relative of Huey and Riley's. Making it a relative of Tom's would make sense, and the character could be a complement to Tom's character. Or if it's a relative of Huey and Riley's, make the nerdy Black teenager's character clash with Huey(and even more so with Riley).

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM

43 posts, read 31,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
There are, unfortunately, a few Uncle Ruckus(es) around. See Jessie Lee Peterson, Armstrong Williams, and Larry Elder.

Otherwise, I think the Boondocks is hilarious.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM

73,267 posts, read 63,186,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsetto Pete View Post
There are, unfortunately, a few Uncle Ruckus(es) around. See Jessie Lee Peterson, Armstrong Williams, and Larry Elder.

Otherwise, I think the Boondocks is hilarious.
I could understand Jesse Lee Peterson being like Uncle Ruckus. I don't understand how Larry Elder and Armstrong Williams would be anything like Uncle Ruckus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.