Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,970,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You've biased the poll by using the word 'murder'
What is "suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets" if not murder?

By the way,so far 100% of participants of that poll answered "I'm a Christian and I condemn all that would slaughter innocent people in the name of Christianity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,418,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Okay,since you seem unable to comprehend....
It's not my comprehension skills that should be called into question here

Quote:
Go ahead,post a poll worded exactly this way:
"How many Christians think that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets are justified in order to defend Christianity from its enemies?"
*emphasis mine

Your question, exactly as worded, is asking people to estimate the number of Christians who think that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets are justified in order to defend Christianity from its enemies.

Is that what you want to know?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,970,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's not my comprehension skills that should be called into question here

*emphasis mine

Your question, exactly as worded, is asking people to estimate the number of Christians who think that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets are justified in order to defend Christianity from its enemies.

Is that what you want to know?
The question is obviously open only to Christians,because an Atheist like yourself would have no way of knowing the answer...you could lie I guess.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,034,746 times
Only a "tiny, small minority" of muslims are extremists, say the apologists. Just how small exactly?

1% of 1 billion Muslims = 10 million Islamic extremists. 10 million isn't so tiny.
.01% of 1 billion Muslims = 100,000 Islamic extremists. still too many.
.001% of 1 billion Muslims = 10,000 maniacs.
.0001% of 1 billion Muslims = 1,000 ways to die.
.00001% of 1 billion Muslims = 100, as in: the number of idiots burning US flags on 9/11 outside the US embassy in the UK
.000001% of 1 billion Muslims = 10, as in: Muslim extremists have sent text messages to at least 10 church leaders in Khartoum saying they are planning to target Christian leaders, buildings and institutions.
.0000001% of 1 billion Muslims = 1, is one too many Islamic terrorist extremists in this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
That's nothing. Well over ten million Christian conservatives (in this country alone) got up, went to work and didn't hurt anyone.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The question is obviously open only to Christians,because an Atheist like yourself would have no way of knowing the answer...you could lie I guess.
LOL. You still can't comprehend it.
Your question, exactly as worded, asks people to guess how many Christians...

Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
What is "suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilian targets" if not murder?

By the way,so far 100% of participants of that poll answered "I'm a Christian and I condemn all that would slaughter innocent people in the name of Christianity".
Again. It's a slanted poll. The use of the word "murder" and the use of the idea of "convert" compared to the idea of "defend" used in the question to muslims.

Regardless of the poll, the actual number for either group, or any group is probably in the 50-80 % range.

When asked directly, people answer the "good" answer disproportionatly. See the WW2 thread for example. If I asked "is it ok to murder civilians on order to defend America" I'd predict vastly different responses than those the question as worded received.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,637,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
But a few million world wide woke up in their usual hate filled state just itching to kill some innocent people.
They met in Egypt on Friday night, actually they control Egypt. They do lynchings now.
DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security

The Egyptian authorities only tackled the mob when violent groups broke into police headquarters in the upscale Giza district, stripped the gunroom and shared the weapons among themselves before returning to the street. Before that, the local police stood by and watched them sacking and burning the embassy without moving.
Scared of the rioters, the Egyptian commandos ordered to rescue the six Israelis under threat of lynch, discarded their uniforms and mingled with the crowd. When they reached the locked room, they were unable to open the steel door. The head of Egyptian unit had to find the Israeli Shin Bet director Yoram Cohen, who was in urgent conference with Israel's national leaders in the situation room, to obtain the code.
They then dressed the six Israelis like typical Egyptians and hustled them to safety past a throng of 40,000 howling for Israeli blood.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:38 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,556,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I've met many Muslims. Many were and are nice people. So were a lot of Nazis. That still doesn't prevent me from disliking Islam. You still haven't answered my questions about under what circumstances we're allowed to dislike Islam. Islam is a philosophy and nothing more. It should not be deemed off limits from criticism as implied by the OP.
You can dislike Islam for any reason. I dislike Islam myself, because I'm an atheist and I think it's simply not true.

But some guy once said something about "the speck in your neighbor's eye" that was pretty sensible. And vulgar anti-Islamic diatribes are offensive in what purports to be a modern society.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:45 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You can dislike Islam for any reason. I dislike Islam myself, because I'm an atheist and I think it's simply not true.

But some guy once said something about "the speck in your neighbor's eye" that was pretty sensible. And vulgar anti-Islamic diatribes are offensive in what purports to be a modern society.
What's truly offensive is the attempt to shut down debate on a particular subject.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM

It looks like about 80% of CD PnC posters feel that targeting civilians is acceptable at least some of the time when defending their own lifestyle-according to the WW2 thread that I created.

That is about four times the percentage of Muslims that feel that targeting civilians is ok some of the time when defending Islam, according to the oft-cited and oft-not understood PEW poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies