Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,618,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Read the link I posted above.

NASCAR is doing everything it can to attract a more diverse fan base from women, to Blacks, to Hispanics, to Asians.

If minorities don't wan't to be a part of it you can't force it down their throats.

Can't ever say NASCAR never tried.

Well looky what do we have here...a Black Female driver in NASCAR? It couldn't be!!!

Tia Norfleet Tries To Become First Female, Black NASCAR Driver
whew...glad you understand that consumers have a right to choose. As a woman they'd have to give out a gift certificate for 5k worth of clothing from Lord and Taylor before I'd go to a NASCAR race.

In Bristol Va, the people come, trash the streets, and throw beer cans all over, then leave in their hook up RV's...its so down and dirty its pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,173,324 times
Quote:

NASCAR is doing everything it can to attract a more diverse fan base from women, to Blacks, to Hispanics, to Asians.
I don't mean this in the wrong way but what benefit is there to NASCAR for attracting a diverse fan base besides the money?

Is it just to wave the race card around and say "Look at all these minorities interested in NASCAR!"

Old 09-02-2011, 03:53 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,482,799 times
Quote:

If minorities don't wan't to be a part of it you can't force it down their throats.

Can't ever say NASCAR never tried.
No, you can't blame NASCAR for trying to attract a more diverse fan base because they want to [continue to] grow the sport, and they need more fans to fill the empty seats. But, throughout NASCAR's hsitory it has attracted mostly blue-collar, hard-working people that leaned toward low-income country folks that lived mainly in outskirt areas in NC, SC, VA and TN. NASCAR has indeed expanded their territory by closing the small tracks and adding numerous tracks all over the U.S., but NASCAR has only slightly (maybe) elevated the 'type' of fan the sport draws. NASCAR fans are still almost entirely made up of whites...and I don't see that changing.

NASCAR has found that attracting a higher level (higher education, white collar, etc.) fan is very difficult. As difficult as attracking white collar people to a mud wrestling event. The sport just draws a certain type of person... That said, most Hispanic males are known to enjoy working on mechanical things (cars, etc.) so they would be the most likely to enjoy NASCAR. Asians less so. Blacks - no.

Therefore, I agree with you that; "If minorities don't wan't to be a part of it you can't force it down their throats. Can't ever say NASCAR never tried."

Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,143,604 times
NASCAR fans and drivers are the most racist individuals in American sports. If I were Obama I wouldn’t have even extended an invitation.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,023,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
No, you can't blame NASCAR for trying to attract a more diverse fan base because they want to [continue to] grow the sport, and they need more fans to fill the empty seats. But, throughout NASCAR's hsitory it has attracted mostly blue-collar, hard-working people that leaned toward low-income country folks that lived mainly in outskirt areas in NC, SC, VA and TN. NASCAR has indeed expanded their territory by closing the small tracks and adding numerous tracks all over the U.S., but NASCAR has only slightly (maybe) elevated the 'type' of fan the sport draws. NASCAR fans are still almost entirely made up of whites...and I don't see that changing.

NASCAR has found that attracting a higher level (higher education, white collar, etc.) fan is very difficult. As difficult as attracking white collar people to a mud wrestling event. The sport just draws a certain type of person... That said, most Hispanic males are known to enjoy working on mechanical things (cars, etc.) so they would be the most likely to enjoy NASCAR. Asians less so. Blacks - no.

Therefore, I agree with you that; "If minorities don't wan't to be a part of it you can't force it down their throats. Can't ever say NASCAR never tried."
Asians are more interested in Drifting & Drag Racing that's why.

Maybe now that Toyota is allowed to compete in NASCAR that will change.

Asians just don't like to drive American cars...most of them anyways.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly and 5 of their drivers snubbing the first black president will not help them in this quest.
First bi-racial president, chief.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
NASCAR fans and drivers are the most racist individuals in American sports. If I were Obama I wouldn’t have even extended an invitation.
Oh before it was golf & tennis right?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:19 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,482,799 times
Quote:
Asians are more interested in Drifting & Drag Racing that's why.

Maybe now that Toyota is allowed to compete in NASCAR that will change.

Asians just don't like to drive American cars...most of them anyways.
Agree...

Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,857,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
Considering half the drivers aren't showing up, it definitely proves to some extent that they are conservative.
Nascar drivers have very busy schedules. They dont get to just sit around and wait for the weekend to go to work. Sponsers give them double digit millions of dollars. They have many events that are required by their sponsers.

Tony is a team owner Which means he has extra work, As is Harvick

On Top of that how much notice was givin to ask them to attend this event?

Who really cares if they show up or not. Doubt they are the 1st to decline and invite and I doubt they will be the last.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
It's all about 2012 elections with Obama..nothing more.
Maybe those drivers saw it for what it was and decided they weren't going to play the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies