Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
MOST of the people that are on public assistance that were employed WANT TO WORK!

There is no way that public assistance is every going to match the pay of a good paying job.

The entire premise of the thread is much ado about nothing and shows a remarkable lack of understading and compassion for what many Americans are experiencing these days.
While i agree that many unemployed want to work, I also believe that it will be tough going for some time.

How easy will it be to get someone off of assistance, once they get a taste is my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You don't get it. The Democrats want more people on the dole. That's how they expand the Democrat voting base. Make more people dependent of Democrat freebies and they'll stay in power.

Stop encouraging people to go on Food Stamps: Commented on this in another thread: "U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as “the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.” The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps, Vilsack said."

Ag Secretary Vilsack: Food Stamps Stimulate Jobs

Did I fall asleep and wake up in Bizarro World? What he really should have said is make more people dependent on the federal dole and it will stimulate Democrat voting.

Welfare Reform: The same way it was done with welfare reform in 1996 (before it was tinkered with later on), with work requirements for recipients and drop dead dates to be taken off welfare.

Drop illegal aliens from government freebies. It's only incentivizing them to move here and take jobs from poor Americans. You've got 6 months to go home because we're turning off the spigot.

Vote out Democrats while there is still time. Democrats like it when there is high unemployment because it makes voters more dependent on their largesse with taxpayer money. That's why Obama is giving lip service to job creation. He wants you to be unemployed and dependent on Democrats for your survival so you keep voting them in.

End Social Security for people not on it now or who are under a certain age. Paul Ryan had this one right.

Medicaid: I don't know because I don't know how this one works now in conjunction with the states.

Medicare: Same as social security above.
I fully understand that this is a needed voting block for the dems.

I fully agree with your sentiments.

That's why I started this thread.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 AM

If SS and medicare are such wonderful programs, why aren't they voluntary?

I for one, would opt out today if allowed.

One cannot tout the greatness of a program in which you are forced to belong to.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
By the time our economy recovers, 70% of all Americans will be hooked on some sort of government assistance, as I see it.

How will they be weaned off?
The basic problem you have is that you are assuming people want to be on some type of government assistance. And what type of government assistance are you including?

Are you including Medicare and Social Security? The vast majority of people who are eligible for these programs, save the tiny percentage of super-rich who don't need them, are happy they are there, and this includes even far-right and Tea Party types. Your premise, therefore, is fatally flawed.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
By the time our economy recovers, 70% of all Americans will be hooked on some sort of government assistance, as I see it.

Weaned off? I think you mean cut-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Jobs.
There aren't going to be any jobs.

As I told you all 4 years ago, the jobs you would be losing you would be losing permanently, as in those people will never work again.

Never means "at no time ever" for those who don't understand English.

As I have repeatedly proven over and over using the government's own data until I want to vomit, your government knew as early as 2007 that no jobs were available.

Again, as I have repeatedly stated using BLS own data, which they gathered in 2006-2007 for publication in 2008, in the best case scenario:

you would only create 126,000 new jobs per month between 2008 and 2018.

BLS uses an unreliable model (the Birth/Death Model) which has proven to be a failure (and which by their own admission is a failure) so their numbers are differently twisted.

This is as good as it gets. Some of you can't seem to grasp that.

In the 1950s only a small percentage of US households had 2 wage earners.

By the 1970s that had increased to 13% of households with 2 wage earners.

By 2008 (the last reliable figures I have) 67% of US households had 2 wage earners.

By the end of this decade, you will return to the 1970s where perhaps 13% to maybe 16% of households will have 2 wage earners with full-time jobs.

There just aren't going to be any jobs and your economy will not be able to support that level of employment in the future.

So get over it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
A lot of people don't want to be on assistance. It's a source of shame for a lot of people. I closed my case as soon as I didn't need it. Not everyone fits into the narrow definition of "welfare queen" that CD'ers so love to bash.
That's true, but unlike previous generations, you now have generations that have a sense of "entitlement" that these are things they deserve to have.

Quote:
You don't get it. The Democrats want more people on the dole. That's how they expand the Democrat voting base.
That's why they rejected the Republican's proposals and opted for the Grotesque Society instead.

Quote:
Stop encouraging people to go on Food Stamps: Commented on this in another thread: "U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as “the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.” The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps, Vilsack said."

Did I fall asleep and wake up in Bizarro World? What he really should have said is make more people dependent on the federal dole and it will stimulate Democrat voting.
Food Stamps are not stimulus.

It's 4th Grade Math.

Quote:
Welfare Reform: The same way it was done with welfare reform in 1996 (before it was tinkered with later on), with work requirements for recipients and drop dead dates to be taken off welfare.
I see no reason they cannot be walking through the parks, or streets or along the riverbanks/stream banks picking up trash and emptying public trash cans.

Quote:
Drop illegal aliens from government freebies.
Can't do it. They are protected by the 14th Amendment (as appalling as it may be).

I don't like the 14th Amendment as written any more than other person, but the logical solution is to amend it, not violate it.

Quote:
Vote out Democrats while there is still time.
It will take a lot more than that. What you really need is a benevolent dictator to sort out the problems. At this point, democracy is actually an impediment.

Quote:
End Social Security for people not on it now or who are under a certain age. Paul Ryan had this one right.
You can't do that. There is a certain percentage of society who are totally irresponsible, while another percentage of society is totally incapable of planning for the future for any number of reasons and no amount of education or training will ever change that fact.

For those people the best case situation would be to deduct Social Security taxes and take that portion of tax from their employer and put it in private trust fund that they cannot access and neither can the government.

Quote:
Medicaid: I don't know because I don't know how this one works now in conjunction with the states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
SS is an insurance that people PAID for.
Yes. I think people should pay their own unemployment insurance as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Farmers support food stamps, b/c the intent of the program is to prop up prices for them and make a market for foodstuffs.
Food Stamps by definition can never result in increased sales. They can only maintain previously existing sales.

It's simple 4th Grade Math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I support SS myself. But a lot of RWs don't; they call it a "ponzi scheme" (which it most certainly is NOT)
It is a legalized Ponzi Scheme.

All Ponzi Schemes rely on new contributors entering the system or it collapses.

Social Security worked fine when there were 37 workers for every beneficiary but as the number of new people entering the Ponzi Scheme on the bottom declined, it started to collapse.

You only had 16 workers per beneficiary by the late 1950s, and now you have 2.1 workers per beneficiary.

Soon you will have less than 1 worker for each beneficiary.

That is a classic Ponzi Scheme by definition.

Since Obama whined and cried like a sissy to get the tax rate temporarily reduced to 4.2%, there's a high chance that Social Security will default on payments to beneficiaries in the 4th Quarter, creating more fiscal problems.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
While i agree that many unemployed want to work, I also believe that it will be tough going for some time.

How easy will it be to get someone off of assistance, once they get a taste is my question.
Easily. A job with livable wages and good benefits will do it. Life 101. Try it sometime.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Easily. A job with livable wages and good benefits will do it. Life 101. Try it sometime.
Ah....the American dream....

Now, wake up.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't know where you learned that, but what exactly is a "livable wage"?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,309,334 times
Quote:

Very easily, stop giving them the funds. Also, why are there people throwing in Social Security and all of that. To me, that is not categorized as government-assistance. I took it as the OP was talking about things like food stamps.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,670,726 times
Ask me after you give up your mortgage interest deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies