Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times

Advertisements

When the baby's bottle gets empty you fill it.The same with the public congress has filled it so many times , that it will be hard people get used to actually having a job and earning your own money.I am not sure if there ever should have been any type of public assistance ,you had to find ways to feed yourself it 's called self reliance .It is something that is missing in America today,when you know that there is a seat cushion under you,you may not look as hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
A lot of people don't want to be on assistance. It's a source of shame for a lot of people. I closed my case as soon as I didn't need it. Not everyone fits into the narrow definition of "welfare queen" that CD'ers so love to bash.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
By the time our economy recovers, 70% of all Americans will be hooked on some sort of government assistance, as I see it.

How will they be weaned off?
You don't get it. The Democrats want more people on the dole. That's how they expand the Democrat voting base. Make more people dependent of Democrat freebies and they'll stay in power.

Stop encouraging people to go on Food Stamps: Commented on this in another thread: "U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack backed a White House claim that food stamps, which the Department of Agriculture administers, actually constitute a stimulus program, describing it as “the most direct stimulus you can get into the economy during these tough times.” The reason the number of recipients has increased is that the federal government has been working more closely with local governments to get more Americans on food stamps, Vilsack said."

Ag Secretary Vilsack: Food Stamps Stimulate Jobs

Did I fall asleep and wake up in Bizarro World? What he really should have said is make more people dependent on the federal dole and it will stimulate Democrat voting.

Welfare Reform: The same way it was done with welfare reform in 1996 (before it was tinkered with later on), with work requirements for recipients and drop dead dates to be taken off welfare.

Drop illegal aliens from government freebies. It's only incentivizing them to move here and take jobs from poor Americans. You've got 6 months to go home because we're turning off the spigot.

Vote out Democrats while there is still time. Democrats like it when there is high unemployment because it makes voters more dependent on their largesse with taxpayer money. That's why Obama is giving lip service to job creation. He wants you to be unemployed and dependent on Democrats for your survival so you keep voting them in.

End Social Security for people not on it now or who are under a certain age. Paul Ryan had this one right.

Medicaid: I don't know because I don't know how this one works now in conjunction with the states.

Medicare: Same as social security above.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
That's just the way the left wants it. Which party do you suppose those on the dole vote for?
Well, the TP members on SS vote Republican for the most part.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can't wean them off. -- And the economy isn't going to recover with 70% of Americans on government assistance.

Also it's not just Americans living off welfare handouts, there are millions of illegals here doing that also, and more coming.
Yep...our new normal.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yep, one of the few programs that we actually directly pay into (and *should* be fully funded because of this). How about welfare, food stamps, section 8, and the like. Which party overwhelmingly supports that?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
When the baby's bottle gets empty you fill it.The same with the public congress has filled it so many times , that it will be hard people get used to actually having a job and earning your own money.I am not sure if there ever should have been any type of public assistance ,you had to find ways to feed yourself it 's called self reliance .It is something that is missing in America today,when you know that there is a seat cushion under you,you may not look as hard.
Are you kidding me? Not everyone on public assistance wants to be there. Most want JOBS. There are people on unemployment who are barely making $1000 a month and trying to support families and pay off student loans on that type of salary. Would you want to live off that type of salary? Truthfully, I would rather pick veggies for $12 an hour. At least that is $480 a week which is more than $1000 a month for an unemployment check. Not to bad for a single person, but when I applied, they told me I needed to speak Spanish to pick fruit.

I have actually heard of some people trying to make it on a lousy $700 a month for welfare payments and trying to support a family. You can't do that.

Granted there are people who don't want to work. That is something you will see in any economy. I know in 2004, the economy was booming and jobs were plentiful. The unemployment rate was 5% or so. Therefore, I think that there is 5% of the population that doesn't want to work. The rest of the 15% who are unemployed want jobs. I am using the uncooked unemployment numbers.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
SS is an insurance that people PAID for.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yep, one of the few programs that we actually directly pay into (and *should* be fully funded because of this). How about welfare, food stamps, section 8, and the like. Which party overwhelmingly supports that?
Farmers support food stamps, b/c the intent of the program is to prop up prices for them and make a market for foodstuffs. I would guess landlords and contractors who build apartment buildings support Section 8 for the same reasons. It helps keep rent prices up, and makes work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
SS is an insurance that people PAID for.
I support SS myself. But a lot of RWs don't; they call it a "ponzi scheme" (which it most certainly is NOT), keep talking about eliminating it in favor of private savings, etc. And do keep in mind that one does not get out what one pays in, dollar for dollar. Some get back MUCH more.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Farmers support food stamps, b/c the intent of the program is to prop up prices for them and make a market for foodstuffs. I would guess landlords and contractors who build apartment buildings support Section 8 for the same reasons. It helps keep rent prices up, and makes work for them.

I support SS myself. But a lot of RWs don't; they call it a "ponzi scheme" (which it most certainly is NOT), keep talking about eliminating it in favor of private savings, etc. And do keep in mind that one does not get out what one pays in, dollar for dollar. Some get back MUCH more.
I do not support SS however I do not see it as welfare.

Just my choice not to pay in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies