Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,967,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you have data on your phone? Thats what your paying for, the rest is given to you, below cost or for nothing. High data users especially pay nothing for voice.

Its viewed as an advertising expense.
Memphis, that's not true and you KNOW that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I think the biggest problem that most of us have isn't so much the cell-phones in and of themselves... but it's this:

Assistance available..
Aid for Education
Aid for Housing - Section 8
Aid for childcare
Aid for health services
Aid for for heating and cooling bills
WIC
Welfare
Cell-phones

Where does it end???

Ya'll have convinced me... maybe it's time we quit our jobs and just live off the assistance.. Without having to pay for all these things myself, who needs money?
Then quit your job and stop whining about other people. I can guarantee you that there are many "lowly welfare scum" (as you think of them) who would gladly trade being on welfare for having a job and being able to earn a living.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,150,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Interesting. You're against the poor having cell phones?

According to the latest information, as of the last two days, one out of every two people is now poor, and a substantial number of them are homeless. How would you propose giving a "landline" to someone that does not even have a home? Want him dragging a cord from under one bridge to the next? Would you like to trip over that cord when you're walking across the parking lot into your favorite restaurant? With one out of two poor, there should be enough cords strung across the parking lot that you should be able to catch at least one with your toe.
First of all, if I as a tax payer have to pay for the poor to have cell phones, when I can't even pay my own cell phone bill, then yeah I'm against them having a cell phone. If they want one so badly, then they should go get a job and pay for it themselves, just like most other people who have cell phones.
Secondly, if they are homeless, who are they gonna call? Ghostbusters? If they have a family member or friend who they can call, then why isn't that person helping him/her get off the streets, and be a productive member of society? I didn't see anything in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution that said all people have the right to have a cell phone. It is a privlage, not a right. Just as healthcare, housing, and anything else that you want is a privlage, and I, as a tax payer, don't want to be forced pay for anyone to have these things when I can barely afford them myself.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,967,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think caring for the underdog is more important than defense. Way more important. We should take care of our internal problems first. I guess that's where you and I differ ideologically. It is in everyone's interest because those people may have something great to contribute to society in the form of knowledge but may simply not have the means to do so. Giving them the means to do so allows them to make those contributions, for the betterment of society as a whole.

It would be great if we could shift from selfishness to altruism. It would really do wonders not only for our country, but for our planet as a whole. That would also eliminate the need to spend money on defense.
Unfortunately most people are dishonest.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,163,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Then quit your job and stop whining about other people. I can guarantee you that there are many "lowly welfare scum" (as you think of them) who would gladly trade being on welfare for having a job and being able to earn a living.
Oh.. did I hit a nerve? You have no idea how I think.. I've never had a problem with people receiving help when it's NEEDED. What I have a problem with is when it no longer becomes a hand-up, but a hand-out with a gimme gimme entitlement attitude...

Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,524,960 times
Quote:
Oh.. did I hit a nerve? You have no idea how I think.. I've never had a problem with people receiving help when it's NEEDED. What I have a problem with is when it no longer becomes a hand-up, but a hand-out with a gimme gimme entitlement attitude...

And since when is a cell phone an absolute necessity? I mean, seriously, most of us didn't have them before about 15 years ago and virtually no one did about 20 years ago and we SURVIVED! Oh the horror!

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,150,262 times
Quote:
oh.. Did i hit a nerve? You have no idea how i think.. I've never had a problem with people receiving help when it's needed. What i have a problem with is when it no longer becomes a hand-up, but a hand-out with a gimme gimme entitlement attitude...
^^^i agree with this person right here!^^^
:d

Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,163,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

And since when is a cell phone an absolute necessity?
Exactly... I can remember when party lines existed and if your neighbor was yacking you couldn't even receive a call. Does anybody even remember what a busy signal sounded like these days?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

And since when is a cell phone an absolute necessity? I mean, seriously, most of us didn't have them before about 15 years ago and virtually no one did about 20 years ago and we SURVIVED! Oh the horror!
Sorry to interrupt your little circle jerk, but this is 2011, not 1985. Cell phones are no longer a "luxury" item and if you're looking for work, they are an extremely useful (or even vital) tool to have. A Metro PCS phone will only cost you $40 a month, which is little more than a landline. In my case, I don't even have a landline, just a cell phone.

There, please get back to kissing one another's asses now. That sums up my contribution to this silly thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM

1,147 posts, read 912,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
^^^i agree with this person right here!^^^
:d
Ditto. You need a place to sleep, some bread to eat, or some clothes for your back? I'm glad to help. Your kids need all those things? No problem.

A cell phone? lol....... It's insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies