Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

There may be reason to sound the alarm. Bees pollinate 90 percent of commercial crops, worth $12 billion in the United States, according to CNN. But almost every country has a thriving beekeeping industry. A lot of money -- not to mention food -- stands to be lost if bees someday die off.

Are Cell Phones Killing off Bees? - AOL Small Business

This article made me think...
If humans are the only animal with a conscience, why are we the ones that are ultimately destroying this planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
I read this article yesterday. I guess only time will tell if that's the reason although that test was food for thought.

I'm 57. When I was a kid only old people got cancer. Yeah it happened to younger people but that wasn't the norm. Autism? ADD? Obeseity? Are we slowly killing ourselves and everything around us with technology and all the advancements we have made? Food for thought I guess.

I don't think the answer will come in my lifetime. I worry about my kids and grandchildren and all the generations behind me.

I was watering some new flowers I planted a few days ago this morning. Lots of bees around. I was glad to see them. Hope they're around for a long time.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM

202 posts, read 187,405 times
What about mosquitoes and flies...??

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I read this article yesterday. I guess only time will tell if that's the reason although that test was food for thought.

I'm 57. When I was a kid only old people got cancer. Yeah it happened to younger people but that wasn't the norm. Autism? ADD? Obeseity? Are we slowly killing ourselves and everything around us with technology and all the advancements we have made? Food for thought I guess.

I don't think the answer will come in my lifetime. I worry about my kids and grandchildren and all the generations behind me.

I was watering some new flowers I planted a few days ago this morning. Lots of bees around. I was glad to see them. Hope they're around for a long time.
I personally don't think technology is hurting us, but the media is more widespread and at our fingertips. You said when you were younger, only old people got cancer, but now you hear about babies, kids, etc. and I think it was happening even back then, but you just didn't hear about it as often b/c people didn't have access to the internet, digital TV, etc. to read about it.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I personally don't think technology is hurting us, but the media is more widespread and at our fingertips. You said when you were younger, only old people got cancer, but now you hear about babies, kids, etc. and I think it was happening even back then, but you just didn't hear about it as often b/c people didn't have access to the internet, digital TV, etc. to read about it.
Many technologies have been beneficial and just as many have not. What may, on the surface seem to be an advance, on the other hand can have a detrimental affect in the long run. Many technologies are put into the mainstream before they are thoroughly tested and researched to determine long term affects. For this reason there are now investment portfolios that exclusively deal with responsible or green technologies. For example, the pharmaceutical industry has recalled a multitude of drugs due to adverse affects. These drugs did not go through a rigorous or prolonged enough testing phase before being brought to the market. The oil industry technology concerning deep water drilling speaks for itself with the current catastrophe in the gulf. Electronic technology has created a huge problem regarding the pollution cause by manufacturing and in the disposal of these electronics when they are discarded as “newer and better†models are introduced. Even the pharmaceuticals have been showing up in water supplies due to the way they are disposed of. We are a throw away nation that relies too heavily on plastics. I am amazed at the amount of garbage that is unnecessary.

You are incorrect when you assume that we are not seeing more and more illnesses and conditions due to many technological advances. Our water, air and soil is being poisoned and our eco systems and wildlife are suffering.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Interesting idea. I am not a fan of cell phones except for people who really need them, such as people out in the field who need to stay in contact for business reasons. For most people in any other category, a cell phone is little more than a social networking device. Neither my DIL nor her mom can leave their houses without one of their kids calling them within 30 minutes for one thing or another.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Interesting idea. I am not a fan of cell phones except for people who really need them, such as people out in the field who need to stay in contact for business reasons. For most people in any other category, a cell phone is little more than a social networking device. Neither my DIL nor her mom can leave their houses without one of their kids calling them within 30 minutes for one thing or another.
Agreed. I own one, but mostly use it to retrieve business messages. I find it intrusive and refuse to be tracked dwon by friends and family when I am out and about.
I have yet to overhear a conversation when I am in public rhat even remotely resembles intelligent or thoughtful repartee. Most of the time they are used as distractions from creative thought and introspection. Not worth endangering bees for, that is for certain.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
We live in a contaminated world, and it's sad that we HAVE to add filters to our air cleaning systems to keep out the new junk out there. From a neighbor having his/her lawn sprayed, to an electronic interference to our radio receptions, having to smell a dryer exhaust and the nauseating perfumes being sucked into our a/c units....etc. Light, air, water, food pollution, and my pet peeve : noise. When such things become excessive, we have to fight back. We live in a "throw away" society. I side with a harmony in nature. We depend upon a balance, and if humans mess things up, WE have to mend our ways. I don't have a cell phone. We use materials that aren't natural. I can recall stuff made from metal, glass, wood, and hard rubber. Most food came in cans,and glass jars/bottles. Cellophane was a lot safer than some of the plastics.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
Technology isn't a bad thing by any means. But as with anything there is a downside.

The technology that allows us to find better medicines to treat diseases, do less invasive surgeries and find cures also is responsible for causing some of those diseases.

In our goal to have less wrinkles, straighter hair, smoother skin, cleaner clothes and dishes, easier ways to make a meal and greener lawns companies have accomodated us. But if you want to freak out, look at the ingredients in many of those products. They are known cancer causers. I thought that with the advances in technology there would be less animal testing. Quite the opposite. Animal testing is on the rise. We do live in a toxic world.

There was a lot of talk when microwaves first came out. Just like cell phones, there have been many conflicting studies. The same with computers. As with anything, time will tell us exactly what is going on.

We all know about the controversy regarding immunizations and the link to autism. No proof was ever found that the immunizatiions themselves caused the problem. But in studying the causes of autism and ADD extensive blood work was done, I did have the link and can't find it right now, that showed that some of the chemicals used in cleaning products were showing up in those kids tested. The study was a preliminary one and more testing has to be done. And they aren't claiming that was the reason autism and ADD were on the rise. But it does make one wonder.

Same goes to rise in cancer among younger people. Why now and not in other generations when they were younger.

At my last place of employment there were 8 women all of us over 40. 5 women had some sort of issue with breast cancer. Either in the early stages or pre-cancerous cells were found. (Thank God for mammograms). And all of us were transplants from other cities or countries. No common denominator. It is really very scary.

I will still use my cell phone, computer, Ipod, microwave and try and get rid of my wrinkes. But I do read labels more carefully now and I don't care if my lawn is green or not and I watch what cleaning products I use. Of course being old I am doomed from the past anyway.

Sometimes it's nature that tells us first if there are problems out there. We should probably pay a little more attention.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
We live in a contaminated world, and it's sad that we HAVE to add filters to our air cleaning systems to keep out the new junk out there. From a neighbor having his/her lawn sprayed, to an electronic interference to our radio receptions, having to smell a dryer exhaust and the nauseating perfumes being sucked into our a/c units....etc. Light, air, water, food pollution, and my pet peeve : noise. When such things become excessive, we have to fight back. We live in a "throw away" society. I side with a harmony in nature. We depend upon a balance, and if humans mess things up, WE have to mend our ways.
OMG!...The worst. I recently moved to get away from that very problem. Why are people so stupid to believe that they need" fabric softener"? My clothing never left scratches on my skin from not using that poison. It stinks. I also use environmentally friendly cleaning products and when you use them for awhile, you really become sensitive to the other toxic products out there. I gag just thinking about the smells. Don't even get me started on what passes for "perfume" these days.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 07-02-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies