Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
That's the ironic part though isn't it.. Everyone keeps saying the homeless and job seekers need a phone to communicate AFTER the application has been submitted, because they need to be IMMEDIATELY in touch with the prospective applicant. Just how did that app get submitted in the first place??? If I'm an HR person, and I want to interview a prospective employee, it won't be dependent on them answering the phone right away. It'll be based on their job qualifications... plain and simple. Yes, if they don't call or e-mail or at least contact me within a reasonable time their SOL...

Perhaps a better solution would be a cell phone lending library if you will. While you are job searching, here's your free phone. You have use of it for X amount of time. At that point it should be returned or it will be cut off. It can be "renewed" for X amount of time... but you will not have it for your lifetime....

Homeless people generally are not applying for the kind of jobs you suggest, and don't have the high qualifications such an employer would require.

These people are more likely applying at fast food outlets where it would be rare (if not unheard of) for one specific applicant to stand out to the point where the employer would continue to pursue him if he didn;t answer the phone right away the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Homeless people generally are not applying for the kind of jobs you suggest, and don't have the high qualifications such an employer would require.

These people are more likely applying at fast food outlets where it would be rare (if not unheard of) for one specific applicant to stand out to the point where the employer would continue to pursue him if he didn;t answer the phone right away the first time.
Not likely when most unskilled jobs these days have many people standing in line to apply for them.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Default Why liberals make themselves easy targets with their abject stupidity

Probably stupid crap like this. Cell phones are now a right granted from da guberment?
Times are tough, and you might be faced with choosing whether or not you can continue paying for your mobile phone, if you even have one. But did you know you the government has authorized phone companies to provide free cell phones and service to tens of millions Americans at no charge? Just how much would one of these free government cell phones change your life?
Free Government Cell Phones – #1 Authority on Free Cell Phones Program

One thing I can say I have in common with this lot of lumpenprole Liberaces who claim their right to all the bling, bling the nipple can give them , I too am homeless, politically.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
this is nothing about liberals or whatever. This is about following a law that says every home/household should have a means to be able to communicate. whether its a telephone, fax, and/or through mail. Mostly because these are needed in times of EMERGENCIES (health, weather, natural disasters warning etc)

FACT: Telephone companies HATE providing residential service. the majority of earnings for these companies are through the business contracts they have. As residential services are declining due to the influx of mobile telephone, many phone companies are not bothering with providing free TELEPHONES and service (YES, this was subsidized by the govt as well) to those who could not afford service.

Now, this law is "changing" to accommodate mobile services.

This "accommodation" has been around since LAN lines were popular in the home. As households move away from LAN lines, the accommodation have been updated:

Lifeline: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers | FCC.gov

and no, they aren't getting fancy smancy smart phones. They are getting your basic mobile phones that you are able to call in/call out and maybe do some text messaging. No video watching, no email, no facebooking or the like.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM

I rest my case.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Indeed, it would appear that their fixation on entitlements has become somewhat of a "tar baby" for the (pseudo-) Liberals.

The more largesse they seek the power to dispense, the further they paint themselves into a corner as the real "priveleged fat cats" seeking more power and influence.

And the more their pointing, grunting, dysfunctional clientele cheers them on, the more clear it becomes that the only rule recognized by the Lefties is that the end justifies the means.

I'll pass, thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
this is nothing about liberals or whatever. This is about following a law that says every home/household should have a means to be able to communicate. whether its a telephone, fax, and/or through mail. Mostly because these are needed in times of EMERGENCIES (health, weather, natural disasters warning etc)

FACT: Telephone companies HATE providing residential service. the majority of earnings for these companies are through the business contracts they have. As residential services are declining due to the influx of mobile telephone, many phone companies are not bothering with providing free TELEPHONES and service (YES, this was subsidized by the govt as well) to those who could not afford service.

Now, this law is "changing" to accommodate mobile services.

This "accommodation" has been around since LAN lines were popular in the home. As households move away from LAN lines, the accommodation have been updated:

Lifeline: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers | FCC.gov

and no, they aren't getting fancy smancy smart phones. They are getting your basic mobile phones that you are able to call in/call out and maybe do some text messaging. No video watching, no email, no facebooking or the like.

Quote:
This is about following a law that says every home/household should have a means to be able to communicate. whether its a telephone, fax, and/or through mail.
What law would that be? A "law" never uses the word "should" to create a mandate. Please point us to this mandate. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Probably stupid crap like this. Cell phones are now a right granted from da guberment?
Times are tough, and you might be faced with choosing whether or not you can continue paying for your mobile phone, if you even have one. But did you know you the government has authorized phone companies to provide free cell phones and service to tens of millions Americans at no charge? Just how much would one of these free government cell phones change your life?
Free Government Cell Phones – #1 Authority on Free Cell Phones Program

One thing I can say I have in common with this lot of lumpenprole Liberaces who claim their right to all the bling, bling the nipple can give them , I too am homeless, politically.
People who don't know how to use the search function aren't allowed to call others stupid: https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ones-poor.html

Old 06-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
People who don't know how to use the search function aren't allowed to call others stupid: https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ones-poor.html

They are if they are as smart and lazy as I am.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
They are if they are as smart and lazy as I am.

Haha! Are you my son? If not, you two are peas in a pod. Smart is as smart does...

I don't own a cell phone. I'm too cheap and I live too close to home.

As for abject stupidity, I can do that trick...and I have plenty of bipartisan company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies