Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
What I'm seeing in this thread is that the CD pundits wanted Obama to either A. not mention the consequences or B. lie about it. Since C. he did neither, they explain that he did this to scare people. I guess when the President tells you bad stuff he's bad, and when he tells you nothing or lies about it, he's also bad. Poor guy, he just can't win.

I dunno about you, but not having any money coming in scares the hell out of me. Yes, there might be money to pay it. Will there be someone to make sure it gets paid?
Maybe I can help you in your thinking on this subject. Here is a chance for you to see that when you talk about things like these checks you get answers that are wrapped in bureaucratic BS. This congressman is on the budge committee so he knows a little about what is going on. He is questioning the top actuary from SS about the holding back of the checks.

Listen to Mr. Goss, the actuary, as he finally admits that only Geithner or Obama can cause those checks to be held up. Also, he will say that nobody really knows how the Treasury pays those checks.

You many hear the Congressman, although being very courteous, take Goss to the woodshed and embarrass him very much.

‪Social Security Actuary Confirms: Withholding Checks Would be a Political Decision - July 13, 2011‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Folks, I am seeing that very few here have bothered to look at the link and see why I said the threat by Obama may well have awakened a lot of old people.

Rasmussen says that their daily poll usually doesn't show many results about recent happenings for about 3 days. I watch this specific poll to see if that is the case and sure enough it seems to be pretty close. I bet the negative number is larger tomorrow. It was -18 today for those who don't like to waste time on links.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Its the politics of fear as usual; always played when everything else fails.Nothing new there really.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And they believed what Obama said in the MSM.
No research into whether or not Obama was telling the truth.
No follow up on Congress direct question to the SS guy regarding that 8/3 payment.
No reading that there IS money to make those payments.
Yeah, they're just a bunch of dunderheads, unlike Rush and Glenn's followers, who post ridiculous stuff here on CD b/c their leader told them it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It'd be a shame if family had to care for our old folks, wouldn't it?
mischivdesign: "For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong." - J. Wagoner (http://mischivdesign.blogspot.com/2010/04/every-problem-there-exists-simple-and.html - broken link)

"For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong." - J. Wagoner

I see that KsStorm replied to you, and I agree with her reply. It's not always as simple as it seems. Why just today, NPR ran this story:

AARP Finds Toll On Family Caregivers Is 'Huge' : NPR

"While families are stepping up to the plate and make this contribution to society, the cost to their own health and financial security is huge."

The study finds that those who cut back work lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in income over a lifetime. Feinberg says caregivers are also more prone to depression, physical ailments and social isolation.

"They will burn out, they will get sick, and there will be no other option but to place someone in a nursing home, which is what nobody wants," Feinberg says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
What I'm seeing in this thread is that the CD pundits wanted Obama to either A. not mention the consequences or B. lie about it. Since C. he did neither, they explain that he did this to scare people. I guess when the President tells you bad stuff he's bad, and when he tells you nothing or lies about it, he's also bad. Poor guy, he just can't win.

I dunno about you, but not having any money coming in scares the hell out of me. Yes, there might be money to pay it. Will there be someone to make sure it gets paid?
What he said.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
He should delay the checks for a week and blame the Responsible Republicans holding up the debt celing increase.
Every time I read that sentence i have to think that you really do believe that Obama using things like that as threats is just hunky dory. Somehow I don't see how you think he can seriously blame the Republicans for the checks being late when only he an determine who get paid and who doesn't. Your logic here is lacking completely other than playing politics and using we old people as your weapon.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Some people are over blowing the comment, but when you have nothing else, it's understandable. Carry on.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Some people are over blowing the comment, but when you have nothing else, it's understandable. Carry on.

Casper

Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its the politics of fear as usual; always played when everything else fails.Nothing new there really.
Well we see the fear placed on the retired.
Where is the fear for those on UE ?
Where is the fear for those on welfare ?
Where is the fear for those going to school on government student loans ?
Where is the fear for the contractors not getting paid by the government ?
Where is the fear for food stamps, medicaid, etc all stopping on 8/3 ?

WHY was just the fear given to those on SS ?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:

Does the federal government send out the the welfare checks, or the STATES? Food stamps- handled by the states?

What Obama is saying is that the wallet only has so many dollars, and choices will have to be made. Social security may not be the priority, if push comes to shove. Paying our soldiers, for instance, may come first.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

A lot of people have long run out of unemployment.
Student loans are monies that must be repaid, not quite in the same category.
Maybe the contractors (some of whom are among our most ardent Repubs here on CD) are next.
Food stamps is Dept. of Ag. Can't make the farmers angry.
Medicaid is state-federal.

SS is one of the biggest of govt. expenditures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies