Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,088,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your post stated "welfare", not "welfare programs".
There is a difference.

Welfare is a program itself.
Welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One very interesting piece in that link above was a study done after Clinton changed the rules on welfare (out after 5 years).
From the link:
"Following these changes, millions of people left the welfare rolls (a 60% drop overall),[25] employment rose, and the child poverty rate was reduced.[20] A 2007 Congressional Budget Office study found that incomes in affected families rose by 35%.[25] The reforms were "widely applauded"[26] after "bitter protest."[20] The Times called the reform "one of the few undisputed triumphs of American government in the past 20 years."
Welfare programs versus welfare. I would think, though you are trying to parse meanings here, that the generic term welfare encompasses all welfare programs. The majority of which are designated for homes with dependent children. Therefore the majority of welfare is for families with dependent children. Children being the operative factor. Children. People without children getting welfare would be the small minority, the exceptions, the non-typical recipients. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 AM

89,888 posts, read 45,592,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One very interesting piece in that link above was a study done after Clinton changed the rules on welfare (out after 5 years).
From the link:
"Following these changes, millions of people left the welfare rolls (a 60% drop overall),[25] employment rose, and the child poverty rate was reduced.[20] A 2007 Congressional Budget Office study found that incomes in affected families rose by 35%.[25] The reforms were "widely applauded"[26] after "bitter protest."[20] The Times called the reform "one of the few undisputed triumphs of American government in the past 20 years."
While that is true, we still have the problem of the 3 to 1 birth rate, which is remaining stubbornly consistent and exponentially growing the dependent class.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 920,223 times
Will obama stop the welfare checks too?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

608 posts, read 1,353,186 times
When I was a kid the US had a population of 240 million, now its over 300 million, so a 60 million increase.

If you don't, as a society, place an emphasis on education. If you don't fully fund schools, pay teachers a real wage that competes with other professions, not have a clear educational plan for all the states, make college unaffordable, you have 60 million people who are unproductive, and can't support themselves.

You ask any kid in school if they would want to be a teacher, they would tell you no way. They don't get any money, and they don't get any respect. Even "bad" students know this. We have trained our children to believe that education is not important. Our children know this, adults don't.

When a school district has no supplies or a kid is sitting in a class with 30 other kids, they think that they are not important, that school is not important so why should I care? I have had kids tell me this. And its not just a federal problem. As we are now a technology driven society the last group to get technology is our schools. We still have kids lug around 20 pounds of textbooks. I teach a lot of military kids in my town, we did an economic project of the cost of things. My kids were shocked to discover that just one tank or one airplane that is 20-30 years old, and has never seen combat cost the same amount of money as the entire yearly budget of the school district they are a part of.

So of the 60 million people added, how many of them are productive citizens with a good job that can pay their taxes, and how many of them were taught that education isn't important and then learned too late in life that they are screwed and the rest of us has to take care of them?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,651,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
If it were possible, we would. Grandma needs round-the -clock care, & MIL works to support herself, & My husband works to support us & our 3 children. I don't work as my youngest child has cerebral palsy, & I must care for him. I know several families this will affect.
I understand that, and I sympathize. My MIL died recently of Alzheimers/Parkinsons. Her husband put his life on hold for 4 years to care for her. It's a tough thing...it really is. I mean no disrespect, but I think that if we wan to, we will find a way. At some point we have to draw a line and not expect government to take care of us in every aspect of life.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM

38,839 posts, read 22,671,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Only if holding a gun to their heads looks to gain him political leverage. The man is a real POS.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

38,839 posts, read 22,671,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I understand that, and I sympathize. My MIL died recently of Alzheimers/Parkinsons. Her husband put his life on hold for 4 years to care for her. It's a tough thing...it really is. I mean no disrespect, but I think that if we wan to, we will find a way. At some point we have to draw a line and not expect government to take care of us in every aspect of life.
We do need to care for the most vulnerable among us, and we do. The problem is that too many politicians see that expanding programs to cover even people who do not need it, is a way of buying votes, and obtaining a campaign slogan.

I feel sorry for kids and adults with ADHD, but do they deserve full blown social security payments and Medicare? Multiply this by tens of thousands, and it siphons billions of monies out of these programs.

SCHIP was expanded to cover families earning $70,000 a year, and many more programs keep getting expanded to cover more and more people, who do not even need the assistance but are unwilling to turn down free government money. so they justify the high taxes as a reason they are owed the money.

If we just helped those people who really need the help, we would be in a much better place today.

In the end, we will have to inform some people that they will no longer be able to receive assistance from government, and they will most likely complain vociferously, but they were never supposed to get the money in the first place. some politician decided to give it to them to buy their votes.

Lets say you go jogging at work each day on your noon lunch break. One day the company is having a fund raising drive for MS, and you tell your boss he can take $40 out of your purse to donate. Then each day while you are off jogging, your boss opens your purse and handouts out money, so people can buy lunch, or take a taxi home after work. One day it's raining too hard and you call off the run, and catch everyone in the act of taking your money.

The sob stories of people complaining, or angry shouts of how dare you take away their money, cuz they cannot buy lunch or take a taxi cab, will roll off your back, because that money should never have been given to them in the first place. You only authorized a donation to MS, because they need the money.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,501,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And who is going to take care of your FIL when HE gets Alzheimers? It's not as difficult when there is a retired spouse who lives with and loves the person (not to say it's easy). But it's horrific when you live 1500 miles away, have young children (when my mother's problems started mine were too young to even leave home alone), have a job of your own and your own family to take care of. Throw in a sibling or two who won't, and I mean won't help, extended family ditto, it's not an easy thing. A little help is appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,959,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
He only said he doesn't know if the SS checks will go out on 8/3.
So assume that welfare, WIC, food stamps, Sec 8 money and all those other entitlement programs will continue to be funded and paid for post 8/3.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,778,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And who is going to take care of your FIL when HE gets Alzheimers? It's not as difficult when there is a retired spouse who lives with and loves the person (not to say it's easy). But it's horrific when you live 1500 miles away, have young children (when my mother's problems started mine were too young to even leave home alone), have a job of your own and your own family to take care of. Throw in a sibling or two who won't, and I mean won't help, extended family ditto, it's not an easy thing. A little help is appreciated.
This happened to my coworker.

His in-laws were in Florida. The husband passed away and shortly after that it became very evident that the wife had Alzheimers and the husband had been covering it. She got very bad. They had to sell her home and move her up to this area. The problem is, they were both working, had kids in high school and one going into college, and could not quit their jobs to care for her. What do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies