Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You are completely off the reservation yet again. Will you finally comprehend this or what....Never once did I say anything about REFUSING to pay! I said if they CAN'T pay! Pay attention will you?!?! I'm not talking about just men, 99% of the time it is the MAN saddled with support payments, but YES it could be the woman too, but hardly ever is it that way.
LOL...we agree on very little, but I'm with you on this SourD. For the man who is unemployed and unable to find work, he's SOL when the child support payment is due. Judge doesn't want to hear about the economy; the arrears will accrue and eventually your license will be suspended and/or you will be jailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL...we agree on very little, but I'm with you on this SourD. For the man who is unemployed and unable to find work, he's SOL when the child support payment is due. Judge doesn't want to hear about the economy; the arrears will accrue and eventually your license will be suspended and/or you will be jailed.
as would a woman who owes support

Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Yes, but there is a difference. The woman chooses her own destiny (having the child). For the man who gets no real say, that's a tough and bitter pill to swallow.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
I found an interesting article discussing the biological arguments regarding who actually has the right to decide.

On the outside chance that anyone would be interested.

Abortion: Paradigms and Women's Rights

Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
And I'm not trying to control what she does with her body. I said I'm pro-choice.

But if she wants to raise a baby so badly and the male doesn't, she should pay for it by herself.

Birth control can fail.

And you're missing the point. The point is what I said on my OP. A female can get out of paying for a baby she doesn't want, so a male should be able to.

Why can females force a male to pay but males can't force a female to pay?

Note: I'm not saying males should force females to pay. I'm just saying females shouldn't force males to pay. No one should force anyone to pay.
Most societies have long histories of determining paternity...for a whole host of reasons.

Most modern countries do not absolve the male form the upbringing of the child. In one form or another.

The courts and the State see to separate issues. 1)The pregnancy and 2)the upbringing of the child.

There is no law, I know of, that states the male is responsible for the woman durring the pregnancy...the State and the courts are concerned with the male's responsiblity after the birth.

Last edited by 1751texan; 06-09-2011 at 01:34 PM..

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but there is a difference. The woman chooses her own destiny (having the child). For the man who gets no real say, that's a tough and bitter pill to swallow.
so a man doesn't have choice in if he uses birth control or not when he has relations with a woman. are men so stupid they don't know they may have a pregnancy if they don't try to prevent it? so many people are against abortion, now you want to punish the woman for not believing or not having the ability to go through with an abortion? I guess the bitter pill is the woman's she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, and as usual the man can wash his hands of it all.

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
I wonder what the guy who is so broke he can't afford to pay a nickel of child support eats? I wonder where he sleeps? If he's not working, why isn't he watching his kids while the mother is out working three jobs to keep a roof over the kids' heads?

There is no such thing as I can't afford child support. If he is unemployed, then he's probably getting unemployment insurance. If not - then he can go mow lawns, dig ditches, pick lettuce, or collect cans on the side of the road. Being a bum to avoid having to pay even a dime to feed a child some loser fathered is lower than a dog.

I'd love to see how this imaginary guy lives, the one who has NO MONEY to feed his kids. I have a feeling he's probably wearing shoes and clothes, has a ride and a mobile phone, has a PS3 or an X-Box to while away the time feeling so bummed out about not being able to earn any money while he's smoking spliffs with his buddies and eating Cheetos.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,003 times
Quote:
That's a lie haha

Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
what about the man using birth control something the matter with that? you make a baby no matter if you want it or not, if the child is born because the woman does not believe in abortion you need to support it. do these dead beat dads care what implications the child grows up with experiencing a non supportive or father in his life. no that's right, they don't care.

Um, what about B/C? Why is it so much of an issue? If abortion were illegal, I would agree with you. But it's not. The woman is given all the power and choice with regard to having a baby or not. With that, comes responsibility. In this situation, I support not only the right to an abortion, but would encourage it. Raising a child alone is incredibly difficult.

Can you not see the difference between a married couple or a LTR where the couple makes a choice to have a child, and the father skips, as opposed to a one-night roll in the hay?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Stop spinning, you are making yourself dizzy. Does the mother go to jail if she can't afford to feed her children that she has IN HER CUSTODY? NO! She will get assistance. Why shouldn't the man get some type of temporary assistance if he can't pay instead of going to jail?
Why are you making this into a gender issue when it's not?

It's a custody issue.

When a man has custody of the child and the woman doesn't pay child support, she gets all the same consequences as it would be if it was the other way around.

Try a different issue, this one doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies