Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,415,200 times

Advertisements

If I was caught during war, I can fully expect to be tortured. It's going to happen (no matter what laws or bans are in place), so I'd say that all of this debate is moot and purely an exercise in "what if". The reality is that torture will take place, whether good intel or not, is given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Try comprehending what you're reading first. It does wonders.
Try not making false claims.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,326,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I didn't realize that experts in interrogation and intel gathering were all "libs".
Not to mention Douglas McAurthor was hardly a liberal but he declared waterboarding torture and happily saw Japanese war criminals executed for it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
If I was caught during war, I can fully expect to be tortured.
You can expect, yes. But those who torture you better be winners. Remember, Japanese soldiers were hung by the US for waterboarding POWs.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,326,559 times
Quote:
What's been reported is that key information leading to locating bin Laden came from detainees at Gitmo.

What's been assumed, and loudly trumpeted, is that this means waterboarding was what elicited this information.

Can you provide links to reports making this claim, other than Fox and Peter King? Because I'm seeing reported, in numerous media, that the Gitmo detainees provided this information long after waterboarding had stopped.

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld tells Newsmax the information that led to the killing of Osama bin Laden was obtained through “normal interrogation approaches” and says the notion that terrorist suspects were waterboarded at Guantanamo Bay is a “myth.”

Rumsfeld Exclusive: There Was No Waterboarding of Courier Source
Thank you. When even Rumsfeld is admitting the truth it is time for Fox News and our local wing nuts to also stop telling the lie that waterboarding ever produced any actionable intelligence or stopped any attack ever. It was a completely useless dead end which never got us anything even as it made our country look bad for breaking the anti-torture treates we had signed in the past (and in those treaties waterboarding was listed as torture).

Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,415,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You can expect, yes. But those who torture you better be winners. Remember, Japanese soldiers were hung by the US for waterboarding POWs.
That has always been the way. To the victors, not only go the spoils, but also their version of history and interpretation of crimes committed.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,802,913 times
Quote:
If I was caught during war, I can fully expect to be tortured. It's going to happen (no matter what laws or bans are in place), so I'd say that all of this debate is moot and purely an exercise in "what if". The reality is that torture will take place, whether good intel or not, is given.
Pretty much.

Little story:

Old neighbor was an Italian who did not care for Mussolini and defected. Joined the US Army and having good language skills, was assigned to intelligence.

They would bring captured prisoners to him. Told me he always started by asking nicely. He would then beat their brains out (think of the cops in LA Confidential) until they broke.

Did not enjoy it. Was not proud of it. But he collected vital information and saved American and British lives.

"War is Hell" is not just mindless rhetoric.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times
Quote:
What's been reported is that key information leading to locating bin Laden came from detainees at Gitmo.

What's been assumed, and loudly trumpeted, is that this means waterboarding was what elicited this information.

Can you provide links to reports making this claim, other than Fox and Peter King? Because I'm seeing reported, in numerous media, that the Gitmo detainees provided this information long after waterboarding had stopped.

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld tells Newsmax the information that led to the killing of Osama bin Laden was obtained through “normal interrogation approaches” and says the notion that terrorist suspects were waterboarded at Guantanamo Bay is a “myth.”

Rumsfeld Exclusive: There Was No Waterboarding of Courier Source
"Deny" "deny" "deny", is a legal strategy.

Usually, it is just a tactic.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,851,841 times
Quote:
That has always been the way. To the victors, not only go the spoils, but also their version of history and interpretation of crimes committed.
An interpretation of history isn't limited to the winners. Losers do that too, they just do it in the capacity of what they are, however. They simply wait for their turn, sometimes forever.

But, to an educated outsider, it doesn't take much to see hypocrisy.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,346,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Neo Progs are incessantly whining about how evil water boarding is, yet they are now rejoicing that Bin Laden took two between the eyes. Help me understand the tortured logic so I don't assume hypocrisy.
You are being deliberately disingenuous. OBL was not a presumed terrorist, he was the self-confessed madman who orchestrated the murders of thousands of innocent people.

Bin Laden & co. "took two between the eyes" because they resisted being captured. There is no tortured logic and no need for you to assume hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies