Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So if we play nice, they will too? Is that the rationale?
No. But then, rationale is a big word among the immature.

Quote:
And, wasn't it waterboarding that gave us the intel that led to OBL? I thought all intel garnered through "torture" was useless? At least that's what the libs tell us ad nauseum.
Prove it. One could also argue that it was the wonderfulness and appropriateness of the Patriot Act that did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
This assertion is contradicted by statements from current and Bush administration officials and counter-terrorism personnel. KSM gave his info about the courier a year after waterboarding was stopped.
Its what I've heard, Bro. Maybe they switched to cattle prods and live rats.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its what I've heard, Bro. Maybe they switched to cattle prods and live rats.

Ouch, that would make me spill my guts, for sure...

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No. But then, rationale is a big word among the immature.
Well, I know you like to fancy yourself as more intelligent and mature than the rest of us, so please do explain your rationale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Prove it. One could also argue that it was the wonderfulness and appropriateness of the Patriot Act that did it.
That's what has been reported in the news. I'm not privy to intel reports garnered from detainees at GTMO, so I guess we will need to rely on what the WH and news outlets report. Do you have proof that it wasn't information from enhanced interrogation techniques?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
I thought all intel garnered through "torture" was useless? At least that's what the libs tell us ad nauseum.
I didn't realize that experts in interrogation and intel gathering were all "libs".

Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, I do believe in waterboarding but if you do not, that's fine. I do not think waterboarding is torture but many do.
It's not simply a matter of personal opinion. After WW2 the US tried and executed Japanese officers who waterboarded American POWs stating it was a clear example of torture which periodically resulting in prisoners dying. The US has also had subjects die while being waterboarded. It's a fact that the US defined waterboarding as torture when it happened to Americans just as it is a fact we executed Japanese officers for it saying it was a war crime.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I didn't realize that experts in interrogation and intel gathering were all "libs".
Try comprehending what you're reading first. It does wonders.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Well, I know you like to fancy yourself as more intelligent and mature than the rest of us, so please do explain your rationale.
I don't have to fancy anything. It would be pathetic to even make an attempt at that.

Quote:
That's what has been reported in the news. I'm not privy to intel reports garnered from detainees at GTMO, so I guess we will need to rely on what the WH and news outlets report. Do you have proof that it wasn't information from enhanced interrogation techniques?
I don't have any proof, and certainly won't take your word or your news media's either. I did hear this morning that the revelation came from a prison in Eastern Europe. Gitmo wasn't mentioned. If you're not into proof but just what you hear, then you certainly aren't a candidate to discuss rationale with.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So we have a Republican who is personally known to lie in the past (claiming there were death penals) spewing talking points about things he knows nothing about? I know the Republicans believe the truth doesn't matter as long as you repeat a lie over and over but really, when they have no knowledge about an operation then they should stop spouting their political lies. CNN said that the courier dropped OBL's tapes off at Al Jazeera (who cooperated with their own government's investigation who then shared it with American officials). The CIA then did the old fashioned following one guy to the next until they finally got to the big cheese. It's pretty clear you don't need torture to get the results when you're just following one suspect to the next up a chain of command. That's classic police work which even the anti-Mafia cops of the 1930's would be familiar with.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
That's what has been reported in the news.
What's been reported is that key information leading to locating bin Laden came from detainees at Gitmo.

What's been assumed, and loudly trumpeted, is that this means waterboarding was what elicited this information.

Can you provide links to reports making this claim, other than Fox and Peter King? Because I'm seeing reported, in numerous media, that the Gitmo detainees provided this information long after waterboarding had stopped.

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld tells Newsmax the information that led to the killing of Osama bin Laden was obtained through “normal interrogation approaches” and says the notion that terrorist suspects were waterboarded at Guantanamo Bay is a “myth.”

Rumsfeld Exclusive: There Was No Waterboarding of Courier Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies