Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,843,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
lol, okay, so you were being facetious and agree with me then? It's torture to pour water down your nose, but not to blow your head off? lol
Right! As I stated above, it's defined under the Geneva convention as to how you can treat a prisoner of war. He was a casualty of war.
Glad you understand.

Prisoner.

Casualty.

Torture: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure

Kill: to deprive of life : cause the death of

You were defining killing as = to torture. They don't mean the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,107,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Right! As I stated above, it's defined under the Geneva convention as to how you can treat a prisoner of war. He was a casualty of war.
Glad you understand.

Prisoner.

Casualty.

Torture: the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic pleasure

Kill: to deprive of life : cause the death of

You were defining killing as = to torture. They don't mean the same thing.

So it's inhumane to pour water down your nose, but not inhumane to blow off the face on which said nose is attached?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,559,465 times
and when exactly did Al-Qaeda sign the Geneva convention?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
And when`s the last time the Swiss had a problem with abetting war crimes -- for example laundering Nazi assets stolen in the Holocaust?

The Geneva Conventions are like the Kyoto Accords (remember them?): a bunch of fatuous "rules" put down by people with the mentality of junior high school girls who never had to engage in a real fight in their lives.

I see Bin Lden's execution as a good start in ridding the world of vermin. Next on the list are Ghadaffy, Hafez Assad, Ahmedinejad, Castro, the leader of Hamas, and Kim Jong Il.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So it's inhumane to pour water down your nose, but not inhumane to blow off the face on which said nose is attached?

A long time ago, I had a cat named Floyd. He was a good cat. I liked that cat. He sometimes came around when I was outside and I would pet him and he would purr. Sometimes, he'd even sit beside me and fall asleep.

One morning, I was going to school. I cranked up my '66 GMC pickup and heard a "WHUMP" sound come from the engine compartment. I got out, opened my hood, and fur fell down from where it had stuck to the hood. Floyd had crawled into the engine compartment to get some warmth from the motor. Floyd was on the ground, in shock, with a good chunk of his upper body missing. Floyd was dying a horrible death.

I went inside the house, got my .22, took it out by my truck and shot Floyd behind the ear. Then I buried him behind the house and drove to school.

He was just a cat. I could've just let him die from his injuries. Or I could've blown his brains out and took him out of his misery.

Torture is inhumane, and we've agreed not to do it. By doing it, we became a nation that endorsed torture. We condemned the Kmer Rouge for it, but we do it. It makes us hypocrites. We declare our morals to be superior, yet do the exact same thing the others are doing, but declare that what we do "really isn't torture."

Torture would've been to let that cat die like he was dying.
Being humane was to blow his brains out.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
A long time ago, I had a cat named Floyd. He was a good cat. I liked that cat. He sometimes came around when I was outside and I would pet him and he would purr. Sometimes, he'd even sit beside me and fall asleep.

One morning, I was going to school. I cranked up my '66 GMC pickup and heard a "WHUMP" sound come from the engine compartment. I got out, opened my hood, and fur fell down from where it had stuck to the hood. Floyd had crawled into the engine compartment to get some warmth from the motor. Floyd was on the ground, in shock with a good chunk of his upper body missing. Floyd was dying a horrible death.

I went inside the house, got my .22, took it out by my truck and shot Floyd behind the ear. Then I buried him behind the house and drove to school.

He was just a cat. I could've just let him die from his injuries. Or I could've blown his brains out and took him out of his misery.

Torture is inhumane, and we've agreed not to do it. By doing it, we became a nation that endorsed torture. We condemn the Kmer Rouge for it, but we do it. It makes us hypocrites. We declare our morals to be superior, yet do the exact same thing the others are doing, but declare that what we do "really isn't torture."

So we should have put Bin Lden in a blender, shut it off just before he died, and then put a round through his bloody skull. I like your style, Fairlane!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So we should have put Bin Lden in a blender, shut it off just before he died, and then put a round through his bloody skull. I like your style, Fairlane!
Repped you for that. That was hilarious. I'm still trying to get the mental picture out of my head.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 AM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Torture is inhumane, and we've agreed not to do it. By doing it, we became a nation that endorsed torture. We condemned the Kmer Rouge for it, but we do it. It makes us hypocrites. We declare our morals to be superior, yet do the exact same thing the others are doing, but declare that what we do "really isn't torture."

I agree... torture is inhumane (but then again terrorists are not humane).

That is why the U.S. applies enhanced interrogation such as waterboarding (not torture).
Waterboarding is done in parts of the military for training purposes.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree... torture is inhumane (but then again terrorists are not humane).

That is why the U.S. applies enhanced interrogation such as waterboarding (not torture).
Waterboarding is done in parts of the military for training purposes.
Good point. I was wondering if my wife took 20 bucks out of my wallet. Think I'll go apply some enhanced interrogation techniques. After all, it's not like I'd be torturing her or anything.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 AM

You've got to wonder sometimes, though, how many important breakthroughs in espionage, military strategy, etc., have occurred because of ruthless interrogations that we have never heard about. The same thing is true of war crimes and other phenomena which have become hot topics in today`s 24-hour news world of journalists with high tech operational components and shallow, adolescent world-views.

Do we really believe that the My Lai massacre in Vietnam was unprecedented in the annals of American combat? Or that the equivalent of waterboardng has not featured prominently in virtually every one of our successes both military and in the world of espionage and dark intelligence?

It is all well and good to hold ourselves to the highest standards of behavior in our military conflicts, to the extent to which that is possible. It is equally important to keep in mind that the niceties of civilized behavior have a way of beng overriden by other necessities in the heat of war or when issues of vital national security are at stake. No one who has never been in combat or involved n the interrogation of truly evil combatants can possibly know what is involved in those circumstances. Nor should they feel qualified to blithely pass judgement on those who are entrusted with keeping them safe without thinking long and hard about what they ask of their protectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies