Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing "Made in the USA" on all sorts of stuff and, unfortunately, I didn't think about it much and perhaps took it for granted. Now, when I see that phrase on something, there is a slight twinge of sadness as I ponder how I hardly see it on anything anymore.

[since we're reminiscing]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I remember seeing "Made in the USA" on all sorts of stuff and, unfortunately, I didn't think about it much and perhaps took it for granted. Now, when I see that phrase on something, there is a slight twinge of sadness as I ponder how I hardly see it on anything anymore.

[since we're reminiscing]

I bought a Toshiba computer some years back and showed it to a friend.

My friend used to drive Army tanks back in the day.

He asked me why I did not buy American. I told him that I did.

I flipped the laptop over and showed him the sticker. It was made in California.

The IBM I considered buying was made in Asia.

We looked at each other and realized that we were getting old.

Funny but true.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
I bought a Toshiba computer some years back and showed it to a friend.

My friend used to drive Army tanks back in the day.

He asked me why I did not buy American. I told him that I did.

I flipped the laptop over and showed him the sticker. It was made in California.

The IBM I considered buying was made in Asia.

We looked at each other and realized that we were getting old.

Funny but true.
My Mom has a bottle opener that was made in the US. I'm thinking she better keep it somewhere safe because it will be a collector's item someday.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
My Mom has a bottle opener that was made in the US. I'm thinking she better keep it somewhere safe because it will be a collector's item someday.
My Fender Stratocaster is American made.

It is a bit beat from me playing it to death and I have all but worn the frets off, but I love it.

I have 2 older Ford Short bed P.U.'s. One is a 4X4.

They ain't pretty but they do run.

We need to get back to made in the USA.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS crashed the stock market, ruined home values, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, and paid no taxes?

Yeah... me neither.

This thread is meant by Kerby to trash Republicans. It isn't working. It isn't about the swing set in the backyard when we were kids.

It is about how public employees and entitlements are supposed to be glorified.

Kerby will never admit that these things cost us money. Or at least he will never say that this expenditure isn't well spent.

The guy is a dreamer. And doesn't care at all how much these programs cost.

Cowboy Poetry Festival. Cut that from the taxpayer obligation right now.

Not Harry Reid -- Not Kerby.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Ah, yes, remembering things that never happened. Nothing throws a huge "L" on your forehead better....

Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
This thread is meant by Kerby to trash Republicans. It isn't working. It isn't about the swing set in the backyard when we were kids.

It is about how public employees and entitlements are supposed to be glorified.

Kerby will never admit that these things cost us money. Or at least he will never say that this expenditure isn't well spent.

The guy is a dreamer. And doesn't care at all how much these programs cost.

Cowboy Poetry Festival. Cut that from the taxpayer obligation right now.

Not Harry Reid -- Not Kerby.
Festivals. Thank our local Federal pols for those perks.

Gonna be real hard to stop that kind of spending. People want that federal pork at home.

We really have to cut away all fat that is not absolutely necessary.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Oh yeah I remember well. Those goddamn teachers and their lavish salaries. We of course can't forget those leech, drains on society cops and firefighters. They don't skate away from blame with their 30-40,000 dollar salary.
"Average teacher salary in New Hampshire is only slightly below the national average, according to records from 2007 through 2009. In 2009, teaching salaries in New Hampshire were at $48,560, about $1000 lower than the national average of $49,720." Earn More! Average Teacher Salary in New Hampshire, NH Teaching Salaries

"The median expected salary for a typical Fire Fighter in the United States is $41,308." Average Fire Fighter Salary Information plus Job, Career Education & Unemployment Help

Average salary of a police officer was $57,000, supervisory police officer $67,000, Police Sargeant $74,000. Police Officer Salary in New Hampshire | Indeed.com And why are cops needed to hand out traffic tickets and direct traffic for public events? We wouldn't need 24 cops for each town of 12,000 residents if they limited themselves to protecting citizens and investigating crimes.

We won't even get into the working hours of teachers (4 months off per year), firefighters who work 2 days a week and get paid for a 40-hour week plus 8 hours of overtime, the very early retirement and low employee contribution costs for their extremely generous benefits.

I would love to see public employees equalized with the new private sector world standards of working 80 hours a week and getting paid for 40, wages that stagnated in the 1970s, one 2-week vacation a year but at least 10 hours of that time spent in conference calls on work problems, pensions that were vested but legally stolen by scumbag CEOs, and a thousand other things that make living in poverty better than working.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
My Fender Stratocaster is American made.

It is a bit beat from me playing it to death and I have all but worn the frets off, but I love it.

I have 2 older Ford Short bed P.U.'s. One is a 4X4.

They ain't pretty but they do run.

We need to get back to made in the USA.
I have a late 80's/early 90's (I think -it was purchased used) Cannondale mountain bike that proudly says "Made in the USA". I don't know if it was actually made in the US or simply assembled but I am inclined to keep it because I don't think anyone would believe that Cannondales were once made in the US!

[or only had 18 speeds!]

Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yeah!

Those damn teachers with their 1995 Nissans and $35k/year retirements.
I wish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies