Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
1) The story was proven false by those very same congressional hearings, which were not even necessary given the New York Times propensity to manufacture lies on the spot.
2) My rant against the New York Times has to do with their credibility. They continually hire reporters who plagerize and manufacture stories that are not even remotely true. Anyone who takes anything the New York Times has to say seriously is an idiot.
3) All links with Iran were cut in 1979. Which is why the US sold those weapons in Iran/Contra to Israel and not Iran directly.
And yet Oliver North was found guilty of abetting the obstruction of Congress while at the same time seeking a presidential pardon..

And if it was proven false by those very same congressional hearings, then why did you just say it was true? Remember this?

As far as Iran/Contra was concerned, the US sold weapons to Israel who in turn sold them to the Reform Party in Iran, which were then used to free American hostages in Beirut, Lebanon. Reagan acknowledged that as a mistake. It was never his intention to negotiate with terrorists. Reagan used the proceeds from the sale of those weapons to Israel to fund the efforts of the Contras, which is how he got around the Boland Amendment

You are grasping at straws to argue about nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
#2 is what the people of Libya requested. #2 is what the UN supported. #2 is what our troops obeyed. #3 is where we're headed if when our representation declares intent to 'install' anything.
No....the UN mandate does not allow the coalition to take sides.

It can't support the rebel forces at all.

Of course that was broken on the first or second day as coalition planes were coordinating bombing runs on Libyan troops to aid the rebels.

Nice who Obama used the UN to get the useful idiots on board and then abandoned any pretense of following it.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And yet Oliver North was found guilty of abetting the obstruction of Congress while at the same time seeking a presidential pardon..
The US Court of Appeals in Washington voided Col. North's convictions on July 20, 1990, acquitting him of all charges. Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And if it was proven false by those very same congressional hearings, then why did you just say it was true? Remember this?

As far as Iran/Contra was concerned, the US sold weapons to Israel who in turn sold them to the Reform Party in Iran, which were then used to free American hostages in Beirut, Lebanon. Reagan acknowledged that as a mistake. It was never his intention to negotiate with terrorists. Reagan used the proceeds from the sale of those weapons to Israel to fund the efforts of the Contras, which is how he got around the Boland Amendment

You are grasping at straws to argue about nothing
The congressional hearings proved that no US weapons were sold to Iran or Iraq during the 1980s. Although they did find that four civilian US helicopters were sold to Iraq during the 1980s.

Are you incapable of comprehending what you read? What part of "the US sold weapons to Israel" are you not able to grasp? Did Israel somehow suddenly become synonymous with Iran, or can you not distinguish between the two countries?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why? Why should we spend taxpayers' $$$ fighting for Libyans when so much at home needs attention? And since you express a desire for a "secular free society", how do you propose we ensure that? A democracy certainly doesn't guarantee it. Who are we to impose our will on another nation?
if you had followed my other posts in other threads, you would also know, I want the french to be in charge with us just providing logistical support, tomahawks and air cover....

why you ask?
Because I think it is the responsibility of all free people to hope for, and help those that are enslaved, to achieve peace and freedom...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
The US Court of Appeals in Washington voided Col. North's convictions on July 20, 1990, acquitting him of all charges. Try again.
Actually its you that needs to try again.. They reversed his felony conviction of destroying classified documents and then suspended the other charges.. Thats not an acquittal..
Quote:
The congressional hearings proved that no US weapons were sold to Iran or Iraq during the 1980s. Although they did find that four civilian US helicopters were sold to Iraq during the 1980s.

Are you incapable of comprehending what you read? What part of "the US sold weapons to Israel" are you not able to grasp? Did Israel somehow suddenly become synonymous with Iran, or can you not distinguish between the two countries?
Which then sold them to Iran.. See I can do slappy face as well. Do you have a point in all of this, and what the heck does this have to do with the thread?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
I don't think Obama really should get any blame here, since its a Clinton that obviously in charge now. Bill for press conferences, Hillary for foreign affairs. Chelsea is on call for domestic. Socks is dead.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take this headline on Drudge Report and create a thread here.

Out of the following possibilities...
1- Ignore Gaddaffi's actions (Technically support Gaddaffi)
2- Weaken Gaddaffi's use of military over the rebels (Technically, support the rebellion)
3- Direct engage in war with the government in Libya

I support #2. What do you?

I would have included;

#4- Do nothing.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
One should never mistake protesters with the masses.
If I were to believe the protesters I happen to see, I would guess that Alabama is a strongly anti-war, pro-choice state.
I didn't mistake the masses with protesters. It's something sweeping northern africa. Surely I could see Libyan diplomats slaying him by the very coup he lived by in their own quest for power but this is much bigger than even just Libya. I'd say this is al jazeera.
Battles rage for control of Libya - Africa - Al Jazeera English

Watch the rats scurry...
(Ain't globalization grand? )
'Gaddafi funded Sarkozy's election bid'
'Time to arm the masses' - Gaddafi | WORLD News (http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/time-arm-masses-gaddafi-4073006 - broken link)
Quote:
"It is now necessary to open the stores and arm all the masses with all types of weapons to defend the independence, unity and honour of Libya," Gaddafi said in an audio message broadcast on state television hours after the strikes began.
Quote:
Thousands of Libyans packed into Muammar Gaddafi's heavily fortified Tripoli compound to form a human shield against air strikes by allied forces.
So, IF he did arm the masses (meaning arming his own loyalists), do you suppose they'll shoot him, shoot the military shooting at their neighbors, or shoot at the rebellion? What would a good Muslim do?

Knowing his history, it's a safe bet he isn't about to be arming the masses.
Is Libya's Gaddafi turning to foreign mercenaries? | News by Country | Reuters
Quote:
A lawyer in Benghazi said on Wednesday a security committee formed by civilians there had arrested 36 mercenaries from Chad, Niger and Sudan hired by Gaddafi's elite Praetorian Guard.

In Egypt, a 21-year-old Libyan student named Saddam said he had seen French-speaking fighters from west and north Africa open fire on protesters before he fled.
Gee all this French language going on in the oddest places. French connection? Time will tell how many rats set off bombs in France.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No....the UN mandate does not allow the coalition to take sides.

It can't support the rebel forces at all.
Civilians were being massacred with military aircraft. It's my understanding the authorization for force is targeting military. This action intrinsically benefits 'rebel forces' (some now armed, some remain as peaceful demonstrators). Your supposition is irrational.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
On technicalities. He's as innocent as OJ Simpson. Keep spinning (in the mud).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies