Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,544,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
According to The New York Times, the United States supplied the following arms to Iran:
  • August 20, 1985. 96 TOW anti-tank missiles
  • September 14, 1985. 408 more TOWs
  • November 24, 1985. 18 Hawk anti-aircraft missiles
  • February 17, 1986. 500 TOWs
  • February 27, 1986. 500 TOWs
  • May 24, 1986. 508 TOWs, 240 Hawk spare parts
  • August 4, 1986. More Hawk spares
  • October 28, 1986. 500 TOWs
Thanks.. you beat me to it..

I thought everyone knew about the Iran Contra affair..
Consider the source. You, of all people, citing the New York Times as a "credible source?" ROFLMAO!

As far as Iran/Contra was concerned, the US sold weapons to Israel who in turn sold them to the Reform Party in Iran, which were then used to free American hostages in Beirut, Lebanon. Reagan acknowledged that as a mistake. It was never his intention to negotiate with terrorists. Reagan used the proceeds from the sale of those weapons to Israel to fund the efforts of the Contras, which is how he got around the Boland Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,832,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Obama Mission du Jour in Libya: “Installing a democratic system” « Hot Air

"But “installing a democratic system” sounds an awful lot like the nation-building on which both Obama and Hillary heaped criticism while running for President in 2007-8."

Gee, I guess this isn't just a no fly zone. Perhaps this jack ass can finish his little vacat.... I mean tour in South America and come back home and explain things. Seems to me, he is as confused to what our purpose over there is, or he just doesn't want to be honest about it.
Doesn't matter where any of them are on the globe. This isn't 1800. Telecommunications, camera crews, internet-- there's no excuse for being this vague. "Installing" is also not vague. I'm opposed to 'installing' any damned thing. If they want our brand of democracy I'd be more than happy to send them a copy of the constitution and an explanation of our legal system. I'd be more than happy to sponsor that education if it will help them in their intent to self determine. They need to build and install it themselves or they'll never understand what's worthy of defending. The fatal error of 'nation building'.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Consider the source. You, of all people, citing the New York Times as a "credible source?" ROFLMAO!

As far as Iran/Contra was concerned, the US sold weapons to Israel who in turn sold them to the Reform Party in Iran, which were then used to free American hostages in Beirut, Lebanon. Reagan acknowledged that as a mistake. It was never his intention to negotiate with terrorists. Reagan used the proceeds from the sale of those weapons to Israel to fund the efforts of the Contras, which is how he got around the Boland Amendment.
1) The story was validated to be true by Congressional hearings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaeWZoXK1MM
2) I have no idea what your rant against the NY Times is, especially considering I've never criticized the NY Times, let alone a story which has been validated as true.
3) You said all links were cut.. clearly they were NOT by your own posting right here..

Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,293,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Doesn't matter where any of them are on the globe. This isn't 1800. Telecommunications, camera crews, internet-- there's no excuse for being this vague. "Installing" is also not vague. I'm opposed to 'installing' any damned thing. If they want our brand of democracy I'd be more than happy to send them a copy of the constitution and an explanation of our legal system. I'd be more than happy to sponsor that education if it will help them in their intent to self determine. They need to build and install it themselves or they'll never understand what's worthy of defending. The fatal error of 'nation building'.
Very good post. Worthy of being repeated!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take this headline on Drudge Report and create a thread here.

Out of the following possibilities...
1- Ignore Gaddaffi's actions (Technically support Gaddaffi)
2- Weaken Gaddaffi's use of military over the rebels (Technically, support the rebellion)
3- Direct engage in war with the government in Libya

I support #2. What do you?
#2 is what the people of Libya requested. #2 is what the UN supported. #2 is what our troops obeyed. #3 is where we're headed if when our representation declares intent to 'install' anything.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,626,189 times
Quote:
#2 is what the people of Libya requested.
What people? How do you know this?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Very good post. Worthy of being repeated!
Yes.. for a change Harbor posted a very good posting.. The only issue I have with it is that not even the United States was built up by ourself. We received lots of support from other nations while we were establishing ourself as a country.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
What people? How do you know this?
The protesters were requesting it on open frequency. The masses were repulsed by the conduct of their own government and the protesting increased. The leadership surrounding Gadaffi rebuked him. The international community has rebuked his actions. Is there another vote we didn't count beyond Gadaffi loyalists or those falling in line with state sponsored propaganda?

Should AMERICA remove Gadaffi? Hell no! That's their work in self determination. It's their work sorting truth from lies. It's their work dodging yet another despot if this is staged. The accusations that America caused a mutiny are already being hurled around. I guess we'll find out if main street Muslims are committed to telling the truth or not, won't we?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,626,189 times
Quote:
The protesters were requesting it on open frequency. The masses were repulsed by the conduct of their own government and the protesting increased.
One should never mistake protesters with the masses.
If I were to believe the protesters I happen to see, I would guess that Alabama is a strongly anti-war, pro-choice state.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,544,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
1) The story was validated to be true by Congressional hearings
2) I have no idea what your rant against the NY Times is, especially considering I've never criticized the NY Times, let alone a story which has been validated as true.
3) You said all links were cut.. clearly they were NOT by your own posting right here..
1) The story was proven false by those very same congressional hearings, which were not even necessary given the New York Times propensity to manufacture lies on the spot.
2) My rant against the New York Times has to do with their credibility. They continually hire reporters who plagerize and manufacture stories that are not even remotely true. Anyone who takes anything the New York Times has to say seriously is an idiot.
3) All links with Iran were cut in 1979. Which is why the US sold those weapons in Iran/Contra to Israel and not Iran directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies