Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,201,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
<snip>When you elected him, I hoped for the best, but he is worse than I ever dreamt possible.
The fact that you don't like him has nothing to do with the birther argument so why are you here?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,461,486 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court interprets the law according to the Constitution and the founders intent. We have yet to get this issue before the highest court in the land.
not true. the case was the US vs wong kim ark

United States v. Wong Kim Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

which set the standard for jus soli, if you are born in this country you are a citizen regardless of your parents citizenship ( with the exceptions of foreign diplomat or member of an invading army ). there are only two types of citizen in this country, citizen at birth ( which would be NBC ) or naturalized citizen ( which requires an action to be taken to be naturalized ).

the birthers like to point out that the phrase "natural born citizen" is not in the SCOTUS final ruling. this is true. but the decision was upholding a lower courts ruling that did specifically use the term.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It has been posted in many places that at the time Obama traveled to Pakistan, Americans were not allowed to travel to that country on American passports.
Just because it's "posted," even in "many places," doesn't make it true. Americans had no trouble traveling to Pakistan in 1981. A State Department travel advisory stated that you could get a 30-day visa at the airport; a NY Times article that year describes an American couple traveling through the country. President Reagan around the same time hosted President Zia ul Haq, toasting him for shared tourism, among other things.

Yet another birther lie that completely falls apart the second you examine it with any degree of skepticism.

Quote:
If they would rule according to the founders intent, Obama would be found to be ineligible to hold office
The Supreme Court ruled on the question of natural born citizenship in 1897.

Quote:
It thus clearly appears that, by the law of England for the last three centuries, beginning before the settlement of this country and continuing to the present day, aliens, while residing in the dominions possessed by the Crown of England, were within the allegiance, the obedience, the faith or loyalty, the protection, the power, the jurisdiction of the English Sovereign, and therefore every child born in England of alien parents was a natural-born subject unless the child of an ambassador or other diplomatic agent of a foreign State or of an alien enemy in hostile occupation of the place where the child was born.

III. The same rule was in force in all the English Colonies upon this continent down to the time of the Declaration of Independence, and in the United States afterwards, and continued to prevail under the Constitution as originally established.

Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1897).

The case is one of the leading ones on citizenship, and clearly states that anybody born in the US is a natural born citizen with two inapplicable exceptions.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court interprets the law according to the Constitution and the founders intent. We have yet to get this issue before the highest court in the land. They have punted this issue so far. But, we'll keep working on it. They are there to follow the Constitution, not this usurper. They seem to be in a state of confusion.
If they would rule according to the founders intent, Obama would be found to be ineligible to hold office, and everything he has done is null and void. I don't really want President Biteme, so this is not a personal agenda. I want the Constitution enforced, and allegiance to this flag, first and foremost.
When you elected him, I hoped for the best, but he is worse than I ever dreamt possible.
You guys really are rediculous. First, you can hate him all you want. I think its funny you are calling him an Usurper. This has already been interpreted by the Supreme Court a long time ago. Someone already referenced it in this thread. Just because you don't Like Obama, for whatever reason, be it logical or illogical (In this case illogical), doesn't mean he's trying to destroy this country. Plus, i don't remember the Supreme Court ever working for Obama, especially with that ruling on campaign contributions. That's not gonna help him. And I do believe the worse President ever was and still is James Buchanan. I also hope you do know that the Constitution has been up to interpretation ever since the beginning. Every president interpreted it differently.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
If they would rule according to the founders intent,....
what evidence do you have that the founders intent was to have only US citizen parents?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
oops I see someone else already responded.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Can this be confirmed? Could an American have traveled to Pakistan using an American passport in 1981?
NYTimes travel section, 1981

LAHORE, A SURVIVOR WITH A BITTERSWEET HISTORY - NYTimes.com

Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The other records that have been asked for--the college records, etc.--could easily be released...
to require the list of documents the birthers are demanding would require two amendments to the US constitution.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING THE QUESTION WITHOUT FLYING OFF THE HANDLE!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,150 times
Quote:
THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING THE QUESTION WITHOUT FLYING OFF THE HANDLE!!!!
Sorry if you feel that I was flying off the handle, I'm just tired of seeing the same long-debunked talking points getting recycled over and over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.