Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you worried about the possibility of human-robot marriages?
Yes, I'm worried about it 11 8.53%
No, I'm not 113 87.60%
Not sure 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,221,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
People will want to marry their pets first.

Or like Sue, marry themselves.
And since pets cannot enter into any contract whatsoever, it won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Many years ago people thought it was plain idiotic for gays/lesbians to do what they are doing now. Who would imagine? Gays/lesbians have done so much to get where they are and finally have been accepted by at least half of the USA, or so it seems. Why are you guys afraid/intimidated of other preferences/orientations?

Show me where children can enter legal contracts.

WHen you do, you'll have a point.

Until then, to assume that marriage rights will be extended to kids, robots, and inanimate objects is idiotic.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM

8,181 posts, read 9,269,065 times
Quote:
It’s a free country where you live but to have government forcing its people to follow a religion or to support homosexuality, doesn’t sound good…
Only in bizzaro world is it considered force to allow free adults to enter into consensual contracts.

Quote:
You keep avoiding the questions I make you and other points I bring and instead rely on jabs, insults, etc. Are you running out of ideas? I am fine with you bringing your points, it is fun. If you can’t answer those points for whatever reason then leave it like that. Insults and jabs are a bit teeny really and I am sure you are a bit more mature than that, right?

Ok…I’ll reply to Hooligan since he brought some interesting points…
You need to understand, I think very rationally and I am very consistent in my thought process. I try very hard to not let emotions of an issue drive my thought process. When I am confronted with someone who constantly says the same irrational, emotionally based arguments over and over, I lose interest real fast.

I have a real problem dealing with people, who don’t think rationally, now that is not a putdown, most people are that way. Occasionally some people figure it out though.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,513,092 times
Quote:
And I’ll say it slowly…things change and are redefined. Why can’t other preferences/orientations redefine laws, contracts, religion, etc. just like gays/lesbians have been doing? Why not let them fight as well? Why are gays/lesbians and supporters so threatened by them also fighting for so called rights and privileges? I have not ignored the point. You guys keep saying “Oh, but they are minors…oh, they can’t because that is not legal…” well, gays/lesbians had all kinds of barriers and now look at them. Well, other preferences/orientations have bunch of barriers too, why not let them follow what gays/lesbians have done to get as far as they gotten now? Why would gays/lesbians be the “better” preference/orientation?...
You still haven't answered the question. TODAY it is illegal for homosexuals ONLY to enter into the marriage contract, nothing else. So, by what rationale is it OK to deny homosexuals the ability to enter into the marriage contract?

TODAY it is illegal for minors to enter into ANY AND ALL contracts. When they change the age of consent and or the age of legal adulthood, we can talk about that. If they change the age of legal responsibility to 15, then I'll argue that 15 year olds should be allowed to marry, as well.

See how that works?

I never said that homosexuals were the "better preference/orientation", it's simply a matter of them being the only ones suffering inequality. The minor/robots/pets/whatever arguement is a non-starter since there is no inequality there - they can't enter into contracts, period.

Now please answer the question about homosexual marriage being illegal when they are allowed to enter into any other contractual agreement legally.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,775,903 times
Quote:
The bible and other religious literature say it clearly, homosexuality is a sin. Don’t know what is so confusing about it. I posted a few verses before in this thread, even from the Quran.
So? The U.S. doesn't have an official religion, and no one is required to believe in anything. There's also a significant percentage of the population that questions or doesn't believe in the existence of a God. They are just as equal as those who believe in a God.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM

8,181 posts, read 9,269,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You still haven't answered the question. TODAY it is illegal for homosexuals ONLY to enter into the marriage contract, nothing else. So, by what rationale is it OK to deny homosexuals the ability to enter into the marriage contract?

TODAY it is illegal for minors to enter into ANY AND ALL contracts. When they change the age of consent and or the age of legal adulthood, we can talk about that. If they change the age of legal responsibility to 15, then I'll argue that 15 year olds should be allowed to marry, as well.

See how that works?

Now please answer the question about homosexual marriage being illegal when they are allowed to enter into any other contractual agreement legally.
You get to the problem with our current government permission based system. Technically you are correct BUT the problem is with all government licenses they have rules and regulations stating who or how you are allowed to "earn" the license. This is why they were created in the first place, to restrict access.

As with a birth certificate there is no government judgment, you were either born or not. A certificate recorded by the government still has all of the protections for parents, they can authorize medical care, pass on inheritance etc. If we went back to a Marriage Certifying system, we would not have an issue.

Government Free Marriage

Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,396,480 times
Quote:
The bible and other religious literature say it clearly, homosexuality is a sin. Don’t know what is so confusing about it. I posted a few verses before in this thread, even from the Quran.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The book Heather Has Two Mommies
being gay is just one more kind of love
Just a good a book as the Bible or Quran

Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,314,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Yeah. You completely skipped over what he said.

Homosexuals can enter into any legal contract except marriage
Many states have accepted their unions. Something nobody even thought possible many years ago. I won’t be surprised when they get accepted 100% in the USA and laws are redefined completely. Won’t be surprised if religions that teach that homosexuality is a sin, against nature, etc. are banned. Won’t be surprised if other preferences/orientations follow their lead. It’s a free country after all.

Quote:
Children (and teenagers who've yet to reach the age of consent), pets, robots can not enter into any legal contract
The age of consent is different per state. If a teenager can drive, chose which college to go, hold a job, etc. don’t see why they can’t also REDEFINE laws, contracts, practices, unions, etc. Why are gays/lesbians so against other preferences/orientations? What is so intimidating, threatening, etc.? I’ve heard from gays/lesbians before that it is perverted, oh the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Show me where children can enter legal contracts.

When you do, you'll have a point
Teenagers, children, etc. can’t enter a legal contract…FOR NOW. Bring your question back many many years ago and ask people “Show me where gays/lesbians can enter legal contracts, unions, march with their pride parades, etc. when you do, you’ll have a point”. People back then would think of your statement as something idiotic. Fast forward to year 2011 and look how far gays/lesbians have gone. Things do change through time, don’t they? Other preferences/orientations will follow gay/lesbian lead and their example. If they could do it, why not others?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,074,569 times
Quote:
“Show me where gays/lesbians can enter legal contracts,
Gays have always been able to enter legal contracts.

Case closed.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,221,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Gays have always been able to enter legal contracts.

Case closed.
This. Aside from marriage, gays have always been able to enter into a legal contract.

onihC, name one time in the history of America where there was legal precedent to prevent homosexuals from signing a legal contract (aside from marriage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies