Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,970,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The insane can be motivated by anything, video games, music, animals (son of Sam said a dog spoke to him). You can't organize your actions around what could possibly trigger nuts to act.
Perhaps a good topic for a new thread....

What words,images or speech would make you kill other people?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM

79,552 posts, read 61,717,437 times
Blaming the actions of some crazy guy for political gain is pretty pathetic.

What's next? Do we blame the "Hollywood liberals" and Jodie Foster for Hinkley blasting Reagan and a couple others?

Really, this incident is an ink-blot test and most of us see the blot as some crazy guy....others are using it to try to project their own biases for political gain which is sad.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,171,067 times
Oh, BTW....if anyone should be ashamed of their actions, it would be hollywood, with all of their violent imagery on the movie screen, especially Robert Dinero, who's character in Taxi Driver more closely resembles this lunatic than anyone else.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,531,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
He's right. They started out immediately blaming Palin--putting her crosshairs map up for people to see. Then it changed to talk show host. They seem to be bent on blaming anyone but the nut job that did it.
I don't think anyone started out blaming Palin. When tragedies like this happen, people look for reasons, "signs", etc. That was one proposal. The fact that Palin took it right down didn't help, either.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,970,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"Hate speech" is far different than "inflammatory rhetoric".

Yet again, the left is grabbing an opportunity to play the blame game due to the actions of someone who much closer resembles them, than the one's on which they are laying blame.

The truth is, he's a pot smoking, drop out, military reject, communist, racist atheist. and the left is treating him as a victim of the right.

Go figure!
There is blame, not total blame for the shooter, but some level of culpability on both sides. Some pundits on both sides are beginning to accept that, although mostly on the left, some on the right are starting to as well. It is not a political issue, it's a common sense issue.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,970,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think anyone started out blaming Palin. When tragedies like this happen, people look for reasons, "signs", etc. That was one proposal. The fact that Palin took it right down didn't help, either.
Actually,the THIRD reply to the original thread was blaming the right,Padcrasher was the poster.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

13,722 posts, read 20,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Obviously all people are reasonable and sane, none susceptible to hate and violence speech, direct or indirect. We certainly should not bash right or left wing pundits that do exercise their right to free speech. After all, they could not possibly move anyone to be violent. Right?
Other than his own mental illness, what exactly moved this guy to violence? And please do not manufacture yet another round of BS. I would like you to point out a solid causal connection. Solid.

Furthermore, what exactly would move YOU to violence?

I would like to know. Really. Are you some sheep that needs a shephard? Are you simply a drone? Are you not in control of your own faculties?

Again, what kind of vitriol or rhetoric would motivate you to pick up a gun and start shooting innocents? If you believe it happened to this guy, certainly you must believe it could happen to you.

I mean, some of the things you post here are among the stupidest, most idiotic things I have ever read. Yet I have no desire to even ring your doorbell and run. And I am quite sure you feel the same about me. Yet I doubt you have any desire to gun me down.

I await your answers. Make them good ones.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,858,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There is blame, not total blame for the shooter, but some level of culpability on both sides. Some pundits on both sides are beginning to accept that, although mostly on the left, some on the right are starting to as well. It is not a political issue, it's a common sense issue.
Please provide some evidence (other that what you feel) that leads you to the conclusion that he was motivated by political speech, much less aware that it existed.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,905,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"Hate speech" is far different than "inflammatory rhetoric".

Very good point. Thanks. Wish I could edit it now but I can't.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,905,835 times
[quote=shorebaby;17362169]The insane can be motivated by anything, video games, music, animals (son of Sam said a dog spoke to him). You can't organize your actions around what could possibly trigger nuts to act.[/quote]

Exactly right.

Honestly, sometimes I think Ann Coulter was right - liberalism is a mental illness. The lengths to which those on the left will go to try to blame Palin, Rush, Beck, O'Reilly for this lunatic's actions are, well, lunatic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies