Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,611,043 times

Advertisements

Loughner -- the lone suspect in last year's Tucson shooting that killed six people and injured 13, including former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords -- pleaded guilty to 19 charges in federal court on August 7, 2012, after being found competent to understand the charges against him.

As part of the plea deal, Loughner can't appeal his convictions, can't try any sort of insanity defenses, and won't ever be eligible for parole.

As part of the plea agreement, Loughner won't have to face the death penalty.

Was his sentencing fair? Has anyone heard anything new in the news media about this story (Besides the Gabby Giffords updates)?.

Do other politicians regularly hold "Congress on your Corner" open air meetings every few months? I know they do not do this in the northeast.

Just wondering if anyone here has any feedback, thanks.

Jared Loughner Pleads Guilty to 19 Charges, Will Spend the Rest of His Life in Prison - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM

45,464 posts, read 60,680,465 times
You pretty much distilled the outcome. Satisfied? It saved the cost and trauma of a trial which would have dragged on for months if not a year or more. The plea bargain conditions sound pretty standard.

As far as our local Congressman (Steny Hoyer) holding events like that, he does hold Town Hall style meetings occasionally.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the response. I was looking at pics of the Safeway shopping mall where it happened. It didnt seem very secure.

True, a trial would not have been practical. But still wonder why much more hasn't been discussed in the media about Loughner himself.
Supposedly he is in a federal prison in Missouri now? or perhaps I am mistaken.

Did his parents move from the area? I'd imagine they would want to. Very odd, sad story for them as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Here is a copy of his plea agreement, for anyone interested.

Loughner Plea Agreement

Judy Clarke , his defense attorney also defended the Unabomber. Interesting.

Judy Clarke: Loughner's Lawyer Defended the Unabomber - TIME

Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks for the response. I was looking at pics of the Safeway shopping mall where it happened. It didnt seem very secure.

It's a grocery store parking lot. Do grocery store parking lots now need nannies?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,449,473 times
Quote:
Did his parents move from the area? I'd imagine they would want to. Very odd, sad story for them as well.
They should be in the jail cell next to him. This kid had years of bizarre behavior and run ins with the police. Goes off to college and has further issues with the campus police that resulted in a 54 page file detailing his classroom outbursts and culminated in his suspension from the school until he would submit to a psych evaluation. Did he get one? No, he and his parents just had him withdraw. This kid was spiraling out of control leading up to the shooting, even getting bullet tattoos on his shoulder. His dad confronted him the morning of the shooting after witnessing him remove a black bag from the car trunk, but Jared took off into the desert... did his dad call anyone? No. As far as I'm concerned, his parents are just as guilty for not getting him the help he so desperately needed.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Do you have a link?, I recall reading he was on medication, and yes something about the father just denying the mental issues in that family.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,449,473 times
start here: Jared Loughner's Father Pursued Son Before Shooting

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,884,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
They should be in the jail cell next to him. This kid had years of bizarre behavior and run ins with the police. Goes off to college and has further issues with the campus police that resulted in a 54 page file detailing his classroom outbursts and culminated in his suspension from the school until he would submit to a psych evaluation. Did he get one? No, he and his parents just had him withdraw. This kid was spiraling out of control leading up to the shooting, even getting bullet tattoos on his shoulder. His dad confronted him the morning of the shooting after witnessing him remove a black bag from the car trunk, but Jared took off into the desert... did his dad call anyone? No. As far as I'm concerned, his parents are just as guilty for not getting him the help he so desperately needed.
He was an adult.

It is not so easy as you make it seem.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,414,667 times
Quote:
Loughner -- the lone suspect in last year's Tucson shooting that killed six people and injured 13, including former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords -- pleaded guilty to 19 charges in federal court on August 7, 2012, after being found competent to understand the charges against him.

As part of the plea deal, Loughner can't appeal his convictions, can't try any sort of insanity defenses, and won't ever be eligible for parole.

As part of the plea agreement, Loughner won't have to face the death penalty.

Was his sentencing fair? Has anyone heard anything new in the news media about this story (Besides the Gabby Giffords updates)?.

Do other politicians regularly hold "Congress on your Corner" open air meetings every few months? I know they do not do this in the northeast.

Just wondering if anyone here has any feedback, thanks.

Jared Loughner Pleads Guilty to 19 Charges, Will Spend the Rest of His Life in Prison - Phoenix - News - Valley Fever
Yes, I think his sentencing was fair. He opted for life without parole and no appeals instead of taking a chance on a trial and being sentenced to death. Btw, I think any time anyone enters a guilty plea to anything, they agree that the sentence is final and they waive the right to appeals; those are standard conditions for a plea deal.

I thought they had to medicate Loughner for a long time before he was mentally well enough to be able to understand the charges and well enough to make a decision regarding whether or not he wanted to enter a plea or go to trial. I think he got a good deal actually. Judy Clarke is a good and very, very well respected attorney in this area of the law. She certainly gets my thumbs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies