Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,913,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I know what you are saying, that even in light of his behavior that got him expelled from college, we should be wary of forcing mental healthcare on people. We are all different, and those differences should be valued. But a mental health assessment of this man, especially in light of his behavior, and of his general incoherence, I think would have revealed that he was at risk. His friends and classmates all report his inability to maintain a coherent conversation. That's not a minor problem. His obsession with lucid dreaming combined with his other disassociative behaviors would all have been red flags.
I am not the one to discuss what should be done with the seriously mentally ill,I favor locking them up and unless incredibly compelling evidence is shown,not letting them out.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,340,819 times
Quote:
I know what you are saying, that even in light of his behavior that got him expelled from college, we should be wary of forcing mental healthcare on people. We are all different, and those differences should be valued. But a mental health assessment of this man, especially in light of his behavior, and of his general incoherence, I think would have revealed that he was at risk. His friends and classmates all report his inability to maintain a coherent conversation. That's not a minor problem. His obsession with lucid dreaming combined with his other disassociative behaviors would all have been red flags.
The problem is that there is no central place for people to report all those red flags. It's only in hindsight that they all come to light in one place and become clear indicators. With the exception of his parents who surely must have seen what was going on.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The problem is that there is no central place for people to report all those red flags. It's only in hindsight that they all come to light in one place and become clear indicators. With the exception of his parents who surely must have seen what was going on.
Yes there is,as far as trying to purchase a firearm anyway.

The fedgov. checks the records of every person who buys a firearm through an FFL.
Problem is,those records are incomplete due to medical privacy laws.

So the question we should be asking is,how private should our medical records be?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,060,856 times
Quote:
The problem is that there is no central place for people to report all those red flags. It's only in hindsight that they all come to light in one place and become clear. With the exception of his parents who surely must have seen what was going on.
While Sheriff Dupnik himself has said there were previous threats made (not known to who or about what) and the local mental health services has found no records of his getting treatment, it appears the ball was dropped several times in this young man's case. My first concern is why the local law enforcement, knowing of these threats and concerns by Pima CC, did not follow up and get this young man evaluated.

Others could have sought evaluation for Arizona suspect

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,340,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes there is,as far as trying to purchase a firearm anyway.

The fedgov. checks the records of every person who buys a firearm through an FFL.
Problem is,those records are incomplete due to medical privacy laws.

So the question we should be asking is,how private should our medical records be?
Didn't he use a fake driver's license to purchase that gun? However.......from Southbell's link:
Quote:
National surveys have ranked Arizona near the bottom for how it provides mental health services. And more recently, like other states, Arizona has seen its mental health budget cut dramatically.
If, as it appears, Loughner was never "adjudicated" mentally ill - the standard that appears on federal firearms forms - then his name would not have been flagged in any background check when he sought to buy the 9mm Glock he allegedly used in the shootings.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-11-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

That is one law ripe to be abused:

Quote:
Mental health experts say that, unlike many other states - where little can be done to force an unstable person into treatment until he or she becomes violent and poses a danger to themself or others - Arizona is different.
Any person in Arizona can petition the court for a psychiatric evaluation solely because a person appears to be mentally ill and doesn't know it.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Didn't he use a fake driver's license to purchase that gun?
News to me....can't find that anywhere.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Okay,now that it seems we are past blaming maps and words,what do y'all think could be done to curb(you will never stop) such events from happening again?

From all that has been posted,he had some pretty obvious signs of mental problems.He hadn't received treatment however.

The object he used to kill is unimportant in my opinion,if he had used a car we wouldn't be going on about it.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,971,233 times
Quote:
His parents' situation reminds me of what it's like when you live with someone who is changing. Whether it's parents aging, or whether it's a child growing up. There is something in the familiarity of the day-to-day that makes those changes much more subtle. And in a family with a mentally ill person, that's true, too. Their behavior may be increasingly bizarre, but when you live with someone, you don't have the objectivity to even quantify the change in behavior. And your bias, to your child, to think that everything is all right, must be overwhelming. I think they probably were concerned a long time ago, but as humans we adjust to concerns, to anxiety. His expulsion from school was a critical turning point. I think that's when he needed a mental health assessment, and that a professional would have seen the red flags.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
His parents' situation reminds me of what it's like when you live with someone who is changing. Whether it's parents aging, or whether it's a child growing up. There is something in the familiarity of the day-to-day that makes those changes much more subtle. And in a family with a mentally ill person, that's true, too. Their behavior may be increasingly bizarre, but when you live with someone, you don't have the objectivity to even quantify the change in behavior. And your bias, to your child, to think that everything is all right, must be overwhelming. I think they probably were concerned a long time ago, but as humans we adjust to concerns, to anxiety. His expulsion from school was a critical turning point. I think that's when he needed a mental health assessment, and that a professional would have seen the red flags.
This is very true,it took us a long time to realise the changes that were happening in my MIL.....hopefully it isn't too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies