Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,118,077 times

Advertisements

More bombastic rhetorical cherry picking from the extreme fringes of the far right wing. Biden who is known to be an obtuse full of himself, loose w/ the facts flibbertigibbet, not only did not write the bill in 1995, the Patriot Act is at best a tangential cousin to it at points.

The 1995 Omnibus Counterterrorism Act, was written by the Justice Department. The Patriot Act's main author Viet Dinh I'm sure would confirm as much. The aforementioned preview of the PATRIOT Act is not quite correct as the Counter terrorism Act didn't was for deportation of illegal aliens and those who were in the country illegally and were suspected of terrorist acts.

But instead of misleading and cherry picking let's go to the tape...
TERROR IN OKLAHOMA: IN CONGRESS; Anti-Terrorism Bill: Blast Turns a Snail Into a Race Horse - New York Times

Ah, another Faux News & Spam Vannity special blown up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:43 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,492,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
More bombastic rhetorical cherry picking from the extreme fringes of the far right wing. Biden who is known to be an obtuse full of himself, loose w/ the facts flibbertigibbet, not only did not write the bill in 1995, the Patriot Act is at best a tangential cousin to it at points.

The 1995 Omnibus Counterterrorism Act, was written by the Justice Department. The Patriot Act's main author Viet Dinh I'm sure would confirm as much. The aforementioned preview of the PATRIOT Act is not quite correct as the Counter terrorism Act didn't was for deportation of illegal aliens and those who were in the country illegally and were suspected of terrorist acts.

But instead of misleading and cherry picking let's go to the tape...
TERROR IN OKLAHOMA: IN CONGRESS; Anti-Terrorism Bill: Blast Turns a Snail Into a Race Horse - New York Times

Ah, another Faux News & Spam Vannity special blown up again.
No, you're wrong. Go look it up. Actually just read what I posted. Why must you argue facts? It only makes you look silly. Biden said himself that when ******** brought the Patriot Act to Bush, it was HIS (Biden's) bill. Reading comprehension is your friend. Second of all, Bills don't get written by the Justice Department, they get written by Congress.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,058,171 times
Well, they only seemed to hate the PA when a republican was in office. Notice their silence on PA issues that obama has kept in place and expanded beyond what the Bush administration did.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,179,400 times
I'm not a dem, or a repub and I think the patriot act is one of the worst things to happen against personal privacy since America was founded.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

196 posts, read 209,734 times
Any intelligent patriotic American should hate the Patriot Act. It's nazi b.s.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM

78,965 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes it was definitely bipartisan, but the kicker is that the Left wanted to hang Bush for it, meanwhile it was one of their own who authored it. DOH!
This is no different than Bush's massive spending or Obama's continuation of the war. TRUE conservatives oppose massive spending and true anti-war people oppose the war despite whom is in the whitehouse.

So, you have the truism that most of the hardcore dems and reps are party slaves that will reverse their positions on any topic they are told and then rationalize it to themselves. They just want their side to *win*.

The few with the guts and\or intelligence to admit their party screwed them with things like NAFTA, Gulf War, Afghanistan surge, patriot act etc etc etc. you have to admire for being ISSUES oriented instead of a zombie.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, they only seemed to hate the PA when a republican was in office. Notice their silence on PA issues that obama has kept in place and expanded beyond what the Bush administration did.
What a foolish thing to say.

I'm likely the biggest flaming liberal here and proud of it.

Please search City Data under "Obama" for Titles started by me.

You'll notice of dozen threads taking him to task for civil liberties.

AND I've met maybe one liberal here who disagrees with me?

The fact of the matter is most liberals have been consistent.

We have principles unlike yourself who goes after Obama on civil liberties when you yourself favor taking those civil liberties away in the name of the "war on terror"....LOL

Who are you trying to fool?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM

6,792 posts, read 7,310,986 times
Anyone who supports the patriot act needs to pack their bags and go live somewhere else, they are not real Americans

Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM

37,184 posts, read 42,381,270 times
I'm a republican and I don't like it.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM

30,268 posts, read 18,828,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
When you voted the guy who wrote it into the VP spot in the WH? Don't you fools feel really dumb now blaming Bush for this when it was one of your Progressive heros that actually wrote it? It just makes sense, Progressives are ALL about nabbing freedoms, power and control, but are too ideological to see it or admit it. Sneaky snakes!

Newsvine - In 1995 Joe Biden Basically Wrote The PATRIOT Act.-
Perhaps they are unpatriotic. Wouldn't that be a shock.

Is it not odd that the same types who oppose the Patriot Act are very much for the frisking of 80 year old women and nuns at airports, while adamantly opposing profiling of those who have committed terrorist acts? Either fifth columnists or the insane have take control of the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies