Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,707,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So, ONE judge gets to nullify the will of the people of California.

Outrageous.

This is liberal judicial activism at it's core.
Funny how when a judge makes a decision that supports a conservative issue the term "judicial activism" is not thrown around. Its also funny how conservatives get worked up about the "will of the people" in cases like this, but they were not making a lot of noise about the will of the people when Bush became President after losing the popular vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This case was argued by Ted Olson, Bush's solicitor general (who also argued Bush v. Gore), and the opinion was issued by a Bush appointed judge. If it's judicial activism, it's by members of Bush's team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Awesome! Now people can marry whoever and whatever they want. Soon, we'll be able to marry our pets and inflatable dolls, too. Hurray for the USA!
A completely spurious (and completely idiotic) statement. What we need is a law requiring people to pass an intelligence test before they can legally marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
It just seems a little hypocritical to say or state "I am OK with civil unions but not gay marriage".
Its kind of like saying, "I have no problem with black people...I just don't want my daughter dating one."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Brown v. Board of Education
Loving v. Virginia

Sometimes the "will of the people" isn't all that.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Gays...arent gaining any rights, rather they are only trampling on the definition and sanctity of marriage.
Oh yes....because heterosexual couples have never muddied the sactity of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Isn't prostitution legal in NV too? haha, no one seems to care about that either.
I'm sure if the Bunny Ranch had male prostitutes that serviced other males...people would suddenly get in an uproar about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartTheRevolution! View Post
Way to another idiot judge who destroys the will of the people of California and institutes his own biased opinion. I guess it has nothing to do with the fact he is a sodomite as well. Real legit. If anyone else needs anything more to see that the justice system in this country is extremely flawed and they people running it care nothing for the PEOPLE anymore then I don't know what will.
Just curious...do you also believe that English should be the only language spoken in this country? I am guessing that you do...although you seem incapable of speaking it properly yourself. Please come back when you can properly articulate an intelligent point.

Quote:
Its not tyranny pal its the voice of the people. Just like when you vote for someone running for office just because your candidate loses you don't take it to court and get him pronounced the winner because some tyrant in a robe says so.
So I am assuming you voted for Gore and are still sore about it?
Quote:
Hopefully it makes it to the SC because if I remember correctly Conservatives still have a majority.
Yup...them southern good ol' boys are gonna outlaw that homosexual marriage...and make it legal to bang their 12 year old cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You seem to like using the word "sodomite"...here's one for ya...Troglodyte.
He's going to have to look that one up on google before he can respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM

47 posts, read 31,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Homosexuals aren't going anywhere regardless of marriage laws. Don't be ignorant.
For now.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
A "privilege" that comes with many exclusive benefits.

That should be extended to all parties.
Any benefits should be extended through "domestic partners"...not marriage.

Marriage is between a man and a woman and produces children. One thing that man has never accomplished and never will...short-cutting Mother Nature. We may screw her up from time to time but she always comes back and wins.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Quote:
For now.
Period.

Again:

The goverment exists to protect the people.

That includes minorities.

Which is why there's a system of checks and balances, and courts can overturn something like this.

To be against this, is to be against America as it was meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Hahahaha, how disgusting. Everyone should be free to do what they want as long as they aren't hurting anyone. EXCEPT FOR THOSE FRIGGIN HOMOS
Its a mental disorder.I say the state needs to get the hell out of marriage period! People should not have to have the consent of a government entity to get married that would do away completely with all this crap. Marriage is and should be a contract between 2 people and God. I don't even understand why government is even in marriage? Someone care to explain that to me?

286 posts, read 699,944 times
Seriously man, not all gays are bad people.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-05-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,852,631 times
Quote:
"right" or not, excluding people from privledges extended to other couples based upon gender preference shouldn't be allowed.

And this is just the tip of hte iceberg.
There is not one person of legal age that is not able to get married already.

While I agree that gay couples needs to be able to see each other in the hosp and such The Citizens of each state needs to vote for their state and all citizens agree to accept the outcome.

But ENOUGH of this calling gay marriage a right its NOT

What do you mean this is the tip of the iceberg?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,296,330 times
A great day to be a libertarian. Missouri and now this...

Quote:
Period.

Again:

The goverment exists to protect the people.

That includes minorities.

Which is why there's a system of checks and balances, and courts can overturn something like this.

To be against this, is to be against America as it was meant to be.
Unless you are Randy Weaver's family,or The branch davidians or thousands of other innocent people murdered by the government. You are protected as long as you stay inside the little sheep pen you are allowed to live in and don't question big brother.

8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Any benefits should be extended through "domestic partners"...not marriage.

Marriage is between a man and a woman and produces children. One thing that man has never accomplished and never will...short-cutting Mother Nature. We may screw her up from time to time but she always comes back and wins.
A: Definition of marriage can easily be changed. Language is not a static thing.

B: I have no problem with stripping all privileges from marriages and having government-recognized civil unions for all. Until such a thing, such privileges NEED to be distributed to all willing and consenting adults, or it's discrimination.

Which is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies