Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Consider this: Assuming marriage is only allowed between one man and one woman, what right do I have as a male who is straight, over a male who is gay?
According to the law, we would both be proibited from marrying another man and both be allowed to marry a woman. That's equal treatment and that throws a monkey wrentch into the idea that Prop. 8 was unconstitutional due to the "equal protection" clause. Technically, a male regardless of sexual prefrence, has the same right as any other male to marry any woman they please. Choose to exercise that right great, choose not to fine. However, under the law, both the male who is gay, and the one who is straight, are equally bound by the same law to be able to engage in matrimony with a female, nothing more and nothing less. The adverse is true for females who are gay and females who are straight.
Sorry, but this argument is a few decades out of date.

Back when it was illegal for whites to marry blacks, the argument was that "well, the law applies equally. Whites can marry any white they want, and blacks can marry any blacks they want."

We all know how that ended up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM

47 posts, read 31,660 times
APA stats?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I voted yes. Both my roommates are gay and "if" they wanted to get married so be it.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 08-04-2010 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: added the word "if", my roommates are not getting married LOL.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Much of the arguments for those opposed to Gay marriage is absurd, the argument that well gays can still marry someone of the opposite sex might be the dumbest of them all.

I would like to see same-sex marriage legal in NY. The only stumbling block at this point is the State Senate, and if the Dems do extend their narrow majority chances are same sex marriage will be passed soon in NY.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartTheRevolution! View Post
APA stats?
You called homosexuality a mental disorder or disease [not that it matters] a few pages back and I asked for some stats qualifying that statement....so where are they?
It's post 176.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I just read the entire ruling. It's embarrassing how poorly the Prop. 8 proponents argued their case. You would think that with all the money that they poured into the campaign they could have hired better lawyers. Especially once they knew that they were going up against two of the best litigators in the country. They couldn't even find credible expert witnesses to testify. It implies that no top legal or scholarly minds are willing to touch this one.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
The judge is SPOT ON in his ruling, smart judge (a rarity these days)... Does anyone remember the we have the right to "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"??? Does anyone here even KNOW what that means? That means if a gay person loves another gay person and they aren't physically hurting anyone, they have a RIGHT to pursue their happiness and if that means marriage (I prefer to call them civil unions cause "marriage" is more a religious term) than they have that RIGHT... if you don't like people trampling on your rights don't trample on THEIRS... nuff said...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I just read the entire ruling. It's embarrassing how poorly the Prop. 8 proponents argued their case. You would think that with all the money that they poured into the campaign they could have hired better lawyers. Especially once they knew that they were going up against two of the best litigators in the country. They couldn't even find credible expert witnesses to testify. It implies that no top legal or scholarly minds are willing to touch this one.
maybe it's true that no top legal mind wants to be on the wrong side of history. I'm sure that the mormons and catholics could have come up with a few million $ if asked.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sorry, but this argument is a few decades out of date.

Back when it was illegal for whites to marry blacks, the argument was that "well, the law applies equally. Whites can marry any white they want, and blacks can marry any blacks they want."

We all know how that ended up.
Who said I was arguing aginst gay marriage with my statement? Perhaps I wish for men, regardless of sexual orientation, to be allowed to do what women, regardless of sexual orientation, are allowed to do like marry a man. I also support the reciprocal. Don't dismiss what I'm saying, because eqaul rights for men and women, results in equal rights for people who are straight and people who are gay.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM

952 posts, read 942,121 times
Regarding Marriage,

it's evident Gays will not be happy...until they're allowed to be miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies