Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Ha ha, more like the Staten Island of Pittsburgh. If Pgh had an upper west side type area, which neighborhood(s) would it be?
Having lived both on the UWS and in Sq Hill, I have to say Squirrel Hill, adjusted for city size/density is a really close analogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If I had to wager, I'd guess that factoring out the non inhabitable portions, Sq Hill S is more densely populated than Sq Hill North, because it has more apartment buildings and duplexes, and homes/yards tend to be much smaller.

Squirrel Hill South is much denser overall. The dark red areas are mostly the census blocks where the two major apartment districts (the one around Beacon and the other around Forward) are located. Squirrel Hill South also has far more of the moderately dense blocks, with between 15,001 and 30,000 people per square mile.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Ha ha, more like the Staten Island of Pittsburgh. If Pgh had an upper west side type area, which neighborhood(s) would it be?
Staten Island? AY*KM? Staten Island is like Squirrel Hill to you?

I think of the UWS as a neighborhood where intellectuals live, college professors, scientists, doctors. People from Columbia U. Traditionally it's been this way, at least (I haven't lived in NY for a long time). Now, I suppose it's hedge fundies and the "international rich," mostly, like the rest of Manhattan. Staten Island, OTOH, is where you live if you're a fireman or a cop. Not that there's anything wrong with being a fireman or a cop, but Elliott Stabler on SVU didn't live on Riverside Drive (though Chris Meloni used to).

And in Pittsburgh, Squirrel Hill is where professors, scientists, doctors, etc., tend to live.

Both places are known for their substantial Jewish population, as well.

Squirrel Hill : Pittsburgh = Staten Island : New York City? I don't think anyone but you has ever put forth that proposition.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Staten Island? AY*KM? Staten Island is like Squirrel Hill to you?

I think of the UWS as a neighborhood where intellectuals live, college professors, scientists, doctors. People from Columbia U. Traditionally it's been this way, at least (I haven't lived in NY for a long time). Now, I suppose it's hedge fundies and the "international rich," mostly, like the rest of Manhattan. Staten Island, OTOH, is where you live if you're a fireman or a cop. Not that there's anything wrong with being a fireman or a cop, but Elliott Stabler on SVU didn't live on Riverside Drive (though Chris Meloni used to).

And in Pittsburgh, Squirrel Hill is where professors, scientists, doctors, etc., tend to live.

Both places are known for their substantial Jewish population, as well.

Squirrel Hill : Pittsburgh = Staten Island : New York City? I don't think anyone but you has ever put forth that proposition.
I'm not talking about the stereotypes of the people who live there - just the look and feel of the area. Because this whole side discussion started with talking about how urban or suburburban, SH is. that rarely has much to do with residents careers or social status.

Last edited by _Buster; 10-05-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the stereotypes of the people who live there - just the look and feel of the area. Because this whole side discussion started with talking about how urban or suburburban, SH is. that rarely has much to do with residents careers or social status.
Certain portions of Staten Island do look like Squirrel Hill South. Barring brick houses being pretty rare in much of Staten Island.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's some random streetviews from residential streets in Squirrel Hill.

Squirrel Hill Ave
Solway Street
Aylesboro Avenue
Hobart Street
Pocusset Street
Mt Royal Boulevard
Fernwald Road

Yes, the streets have sidewalks, and most of the houses were built before 1950. But I don't see what makes the streetscapes fundamentally different from any number of streets in the first-ring suburbs built out over the same period. Even most of the areas you find two flats, rowhouses, and apartment buildings are built out in a semi-suburban style, with generous setbacks from the street and big front lawns. Most of this has to do with the time it was built out as a neighborhood - when automobiles became a big thing (don't forget Squirrel Hill had the first gas station in Pittsburgh).

Squirrel Hill does have the Forbes-Murray business district of course, which is walkable. But Murray Avenue's business district is only slightly longer than Uptown Mount Lebanon. I think the best description of Squirrel Hill is a suburban neighborhood with an "urban-light" backbone of commercial and higher-density residential running through it.
I could probably find street views like those in most Pittsburgh city neighborhoods. Does it mean that those neighborhoods are also suburban?

I'd argue that Mt. Lebanon is closer to a city neighborhood, then Sq Hill is to suburban neighborhood. Especially with the T extending through part of ML. When I think of suburban, I don't necessary think of those locations very near the city or places that have a central business district where the neighborhood branches off from it. I think of places where neighborhoods were just plopped down somewhere, and almost always require one to drive anywhere, either because of distance and/or because of the lack of suitable sidewalks for walking. To me, that is the point of living in the suburbs. You are a bit further away from places to go then you are in or near the city.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
In most of the country "suburban" connotates a large yard, probably measured in terms of partial acres than feet, an integral multi car garage, few sidewalks, windy cul de sacs "grids", strip mall or faux town center business districts, and virtually no multi-units that aren't full on apartment complexes. Squirrel Hill simply isn't that.

While it's not the poster child for "urban", it's clearly not the poster child for "suburban" either.

You could call it a tie based solely on the built environment, but city services, city government, city taxes, city school, and proximity to the unquestionably urban parts of Pittsburgh tip it towards "urban" in my opinion.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
If SH isn't Urban, I don't know what is.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If SH isn't Urban, I don't know what is.
Agreed!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I don't know what is.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh