Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Greater Pittsburgh is really difficult to pigeonhole, folks, due to the varied topography and the schizophrenic level of municipal fragmentation.

Wilkinsburg is a "suburb" but feels more included in the urban fabric of the city than East Hills, which is in the city proper.

Swisshelm Park is in the city proper but feels less urban than Swissvale, a "suburb".

Squirrel Hill is in the city proper and feels like a dense streetcar suburb---comparable to Cleveland Heights, OH, perhaps.

Brookline, in the city proper, is a mirror image of Dormont, a suburb, in my opinion.

Is there really that much of a difference between Stanton Heights and Baldwin? Brentwood and Westwood?

The truth of the matter is that we have some very urban suburbs and some very suburban city neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:56 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Greater Pittsburgh is really difficult to pigeonhole, folks, due to the varied topography and the schizophrenic level of municipal fragmentation.

Wilkinsburg is a "suburb" but feels more included in the urban fabric of the city than East Hills, which is in the city proper.

Agreed. Not that it's dispositive of urbanity, but Wilkinsburg was briefly annexed by the City.

Swisshelm Park is in the city proper but feels less urban than Swissvale, a "suburb".

Agreed. It's isolated in its own little corner.

Squirrel Hill is in the city proper and feels like a dense streetcar suburb---comparable to Cleveland Heights, OH, perhaps.

That's the best way of putting it, IMO. The overall density is 6,800/square mile. It's much more compact and walkable North of Forbes, or NoFo as it were.

Brookline, in the city proper, is a mirror image of Dormont, a suburb, in my opinion.

I don't know if I'd say "mirror image," but I can definitely appreciate the similarities.

Is there really that much of a difference between Stanton Heights and Baldwin? Brentwood and Westwood?

Stanton Heights is Levittesque, but much denser than Baldwin. It's a bit less dense, but in their "heydays," Eastmont in Wilkins Township served a similar function.

The truth of the matter is that we have some very urban suburbs and some very suburban city neighborhoods.
10chars

Old 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
What makes it a regionally important node, other than its population and land size as the largest city neighborhood and the fact that it bumps up against CMU?

Don’t get me wrong, I think its a great neighborhood and very important. I am just trying got figure out what makes it so special? And to be honest, I am not even sure what is still located in the Squirrel Hill business district.
Access to two significant urban parks, the school district's "flagship" high school is located there, it's the city's cultural center for a major religion, home to arguably the city's "no. 2" library, plus several other amenities that aren't found in many other in-city neighborhoods (a first-run movie house, a bowling alley, 24 hour pharmacy, etc.).

It is certainly not "just another neighborhood."

Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Squirrel Hill is a lot like suburbia? LOL. That is a good one.

Maybe if you are in the Summerset new housing area, then I could see that. Even still, you can easily walk from Sumerset to the central business district in SH. Public transportation in SH is extremely easy to take to just about anywhere. There are plenty of apartment buildings mixed in with the traditional housing. No long strip malls.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Squirrel Hill is a lot like suburbia? LOL. That is a good one.

Maybe if you are in the Summerset new housing area, then I could see that. Even still, you can easily walk from Sumerset to the central business district in SH. Public transportation in SH is extremely easy to take to just about anywhere. There are plenty of apartment buildings mixed in with the traditional housing. No long strip malls.
I agree, I think a place like Squirrel Hill would be considered an urban neighborhood in almost any area of the US, aside from dense northeast/midatlantic cities. Personally, I consider it 'mildly urban'.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I agree, I think a place like Squirrel Hill would be considered an urban neighborhood in almost any area of the US, aside from dense northeast/midatlantic cities. Personally, I consider it 'mildly urban'.
Squirrel Hill: the Upper West Side of Pittsburgh.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
I live in Crafton which is its own borough, yet closer to downtown than other neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Here's some random streetviews from residential streets in Squirrel Hill.

Squirrel Hill Ave
Solway Street
Aylesboro Avenue
Hobart Street
Pocusset Street
Mt Royal Boulevard
Fernwald Road

Yes, the streets have sidewalks, and most of the houses were built before 1950. But I don't see what makes the streetscapes fundamentally different from any number of streets in the first-ring suburbs built out over the same period. Even most of the areas you find two flats, rowhouses, and apartment buildings are built out in a semi-suburban style, with generous setbacks from the street and big front lawns. Most of this has to do with the time it was built out as a neighborhood - when automobiles became a big thing (don't forget Squirrel Hill had the first gas station in Pittsburgh).

Squirrel Hill does have the Forbes-Murray business district of course, which is walkable. But Murray Avenue's business district is only slightly longer than Uptown Mount Lebanon. I think the best description of Squirrel Hill is a suburban neighborhood with an "urban-light" backbone of commercial and higher-density residential running through it.

Last edited by eschaton; 10-05-2015 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 01:36 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Squirrel Hill: the Upper West Side of Pittsburgh.
Ha ha, more like the Staten Island of Pittsburgh. If Pgh had an upper west side type area, which neighborhood(s) would it be?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:45 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
I think one would need to have a very narrow definition of urban to consider Squirrel Hill suburban. Sure, it's not central business district urban, but its overall population density rivals cities like Seattle, Baltimore and Pittsburgh itself. Squirrel Hill South's population density is skewed by the inclusion of two huge parks. If I had to wager, I'd guess that factoring out the non inhabitable portions, Sq Hill Sis more densely populated than Sq Hill North, because it has more apartment buildings and duplexes, and homes/yards tend to be much smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh