Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Rates of growth of small numbers can be misleading. This is especially true for the Hispanic population. My 2c.
My point exactly. That is one reason I left Pgh., because there was so few Hispanic/Latinos and because it's not a great place for professional blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My point exactly. That is one reason I left Pgh., because there was so few Hispanic/Latinos and because it's not a great place for professional blacks.

If you're uncomfortable being a member of a small minority in a region, I can appreciate that.

But why don't you think Pittsburgh is a good place for African American professionals, and which areas are better for these professionals and why? Can a city be a good place for black professionals even if there isn't a very large number?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If you're uncomfortable being a member of a small minority in a region, I can appreciate that.

But why don't you think Pittsburgh is a good place for African American professionals, and which areas are better for these professionals and why? Can a city be a good place for black professionals even if there isn't a very large number?
I had discussed this on another thread. This is why I said Pgh. wasn't a very good place for black professionals:

No middle-to-upper class residential areas that are 1. predominantly Black or 2. welcoming to Blacks. A very small population of middle-to-upper-class Blacks in general.

No social/cultural places, such as Black-owned restaurants, clubs, etc. for people to hang out. Very little black economic activity (business ownership, etc.) compared to other cities.

Very few Black politicians (especially elected) in places of power in city/local government.

Until very recently, no Black-oriented radio station (as WAMO had gone out of business).

Traditionally Black neighborhoods that are high-crime and gang-infested.

Terrible schools, especially in Black neighborhoods.

Few job opportunities for Black professionals (which is why many educated Blacks flee Pgh. as fast as they can).

A reputation among local Blacks as being a very racist city/region.

Where's better? Wash DC, NY/NJ, Chicago, Atlanta, North Carolina, to name a few.

Can a place with relatively few blacks be a good place for black professionals? I'm sure it can, though I can't think of a place that fits that description offhand.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Both Hartford and Providence have metro area populations that exceed one million people.
I read that once predominately Irish/Italian Providence is now 40% Latino, 35% white.

Talk about a sudden change of demographics.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
True, but the populations are still minuscule.
The Asian proportion is actually above average among the cities in the comparison.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I read that once predominately Irish/Italian Providence is now 40% Latino, 35% white.

Talk about a sudden change of demographics.
I believe it. I think Hartford is now about 10% caucasian while the rest of the population is part of a minority group. The south end still has quite a few Italians but aside from that most of the city is non white.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
Quote:
I had discussed this on another thread. This is why I said Pgh. wasn't a very good place for black professionals:

No middle-to-upper class residential areas that are 1. predominantly Black or 2. welcoming to Blacks. A very small population of middle-to-upper-class Blacks in general.

No social/cultural places, such as Black-owned restaurants, clubs, etc. for people to hang out. Very little black economic activity (business ownership, etc.) compared to other cities.

Very few Black politicians (especially elected) in places of power in city/local government.

Until very recently, no Black-oriented radio station (as WAMO had gone out of business).

Traditionally Black neighborhoods that are high-crime and gang-infested.

Terrible schools, especially in Black neighborhoods.

Few job opportunities for Black professionals (which is why many educated Blacks flee Pgh. as fast as they can).

A reputation among local Blacks as being a very racist city/region.

Where's better? Wash DC, NY/NJ, Chicago, Atlanta, North Carolina, to name a few.

Can a place with relatively few blacks be a good place for black professionals? I'm sure it can, though I can't think of a place that fits that description offhand.
just a minor quibble but all those other places have terrible schools, particularly in black neighborhoods. chicago, in particular, has many of the worst neighborhoods in the country, traditionally black. of course, that's why blacks left chicago en masse I imagine. atlanta isn't much different and neither is DC. the main difference is probably the quantity of professional, educated blacks that choose to stay in pittsburgh vs those other places IMO.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
just a minor quibble but all those other places have terrible schools, particularly in black neighborhoods. chicago, in particular, has many of the worst neighborhoods in the country, traditionally black. of course, that's why blacks left chicago en masse I imagine. atlanta isn't much different and neither is DC. the main difference is probably the quantity of professional, educated blacks that choose to stay in pittsburgh vs those other places IMO.
I am not really speaking of just within the city limits; I am talking about the metropolitan areas in general. There are also suburban areas in DC/MD/VA, AG, Chgo, etc, that have everything the city does not (schools, safety) AND are welcoming to professional blacks. It's just not the case in Pgh., which is why black professionals see no reason to stay around.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
Quote:
I am not really speaking of just within the city limits; I am talking about the metropolitan areas in general. There are also suburban areas in DC/MD/VA, AG, Chgo, etc, that have everything the city does not (schools, safety) AND are welcoming to professional blacks. It's just not the case in Pgh., which is why black professionals see no reason to stay around.
just trying to point out that those thigns exist in all the "better areas" so it's not that they exist in pittsburgh that is the problem, it's simply that the positive side (black middle class) does not in any meaningful way. I ahve hope that will change but I recognize it's difficult to be among the first to do something and wouldn't chastise someone for wanting to just be somewhere they fit in rather than try to create it from scratch.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
just trying to point out that those thigns exist in all the "better areas" so it's not that they exist in pittsburgh that is the problem, it's simply that the positive side (black middle class) does not in any meaningful way.
But you haven't seen what I've said. Professional blacks leave Pgh because there is nothing there for us. No welcoming neighborhoods. No social life. No political/social/economic power. Why try to create something from scratch when we can go to a similar place (a city) where there is already something there?

Quote:

I ahve hope that will change but I recognize it's difficult to be among the first to do something and wouldn't chastise someone for wanting to just be somewhere they fit in rather than try to create it from scratch.
We tend to think that if something good hasn't happened for black people in Pgh, it's not going to happen. Pgh has been there for a couple hundred years and things haven't gotten any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh