Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have searched through the forum and have not seen this topic posted yet. I have been noticing Pittsburgh aligning more with cities such as Baltimore, DC, and Philly and less with cities such as Detroit, Cleveland and the like. I read topics and how people believe that Pittsburgh is the midwest due to its proximity to Cleveland, but honestly for people in the eastern and southern part of the metro one can get to Baltimore/Washington faster than to Cleveland. Also, with megabus trips to cities such as DC, Philly and NYC have been selling out much more quickly than lines to Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, and the failed line to Chicago. For the sake of a comparison: does Pittsburgh compare better to Cleveland or to Baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I get the sense Pittsburgh has more ties these days with DC, at least it seems that way. In that way I might think more with Baltimore. I also see more one way connection. Pittsburgh to the Eastern cities as opposed to the opposite

Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Pittsburgh is it's own city. Period. I am from there. I lived in Philly, and now live in Reading, PA. Pittsburgh doesn't need to be classified as east coast or midwest. It isn't nearly similiar to Ohio cities and it is nowhere close to east coast cities.

Is it a bad thing that it isn't like East Coast cities? No. I would do anything to get out of the range of the east coast. The East Coast is a bunch of tools who think they are self important because of their location on a map. The people from East Coast cities seriously need to get over themselves. There is a whole huge country out there, and people in the East Coast only think it is about them. Yet it is the most least desirable place in the country in my opinon.

Pittsburgh just has to do it's own thing, keep creating it's own identity, and doesn't need people on City-data forum trying to label it some way or another. Pretty much from my travels you have everywhereville, mountian town, beach town, big city, then Pittsburgh. I like being home in Pittsburgh. There is something about it and it is hard to expain. It isn't east coast, midwestern, or anything, just Pittsburgh.

Last edited by KingKrab; 09-26-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
There is no way you can get to DC faster than Cleveland from any part of Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is in the interior northeast and probably never looked all that much to the midwest. Heck, Cleveland does not really look to the midwest to a dominate extent.

Pittsburgh is built more like Baltimore but the people are more like Cleveland. Although Pittsburgh has a bit of an Appalachian influence the Cleveland does not.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I was amazed at the reactions when I moved here and told people I was from Michigan. They acted like that was another planet. I had always considered Pittsburgh just another midwestern city, being that it's only a 4 hour drive from Michigan. But the people here seem to have closer ties to the east coast and don't recognize Michigan as a nearby state.

Another thing I notice is that while Pittsburghers tend to be negative about their own city, that kind of becomes neutralized when you tell them you're from Michigan (think Detroit or Flint) because their city doesn't seem to be so bad in comparison....(or because they have no frame of reference for it). You mean there might actually be worse places that Pittsburgh?!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I don't think Pittsburghers affiliate themselves with any other city really. We've always had mega bus trips to NYC and DC. That's nothing new. I can't say that means we identify with those cities more. They simply have more to offer as a destination cities.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyar66 View Post
Pittsburgh is Midwestern
You'd think so given how the rivers flow. But Pittsburghers like to think of themselves as Eastern if given a choice.

But truth be told, Pittsburgh is either both or neither.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I get the sense Pittsburgh has more ties these days with DC, at least it seems that way.
I think this is a trend that will accelerate in the coming years, depending upon how well Pittsburgh's job market fares and how much more expensive Metro DC becomes. What many are realizing is that you can move from a place like Northern Virginia, which is the most affluent and expensive area in the nation, take a modest pay-cut by moving to Pittsburgh, and yet you can STILL improve your overall quality-of-life. I'm evidence of this. With my two jobs now I'll be earning an annual net income of roughly $25,000. That's less than what I was earning in NoVA, yet up here in Pittsburgh I have a nicer apartment in a better neighborhood, deal with little, if any, traffic congestion, interact with much kinder (less stressed) people, have enjoyed a less pretentious dating pool, and actually feel like I "belong" here. I never quite found my niche in NoVA.

Anyone who hasn't noticed an uptick in MD and VA license plates here, especially in the East End, is in denial.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I was amazed at the reactions when I moved here and told people I was from Michigan. They acted like that was another planet. I had always considered Pittsburgh just another midwestern city, being that it's only a 4 hour drive from Michigan. But the people here seem to have closer ties to the east coast and don't recognize Michigan as a nearby state.
It's weird but true for my family. We never go west (except in planes to the Rockies or West Coast). We usually go north, south or east. I realize Michigan is only a few hours away but I never had a burning desire to visit there. I feel that way about most midwestern cities and states. It really has nothing to do with identifying or not identifying with them. They just don't peak my interest, except I would like to check out Chicago someday.

I think it's because when I drive into Ohio, the landscape is unappealing to me. I don't like flat landscapes. I love the rugged terrain of Pittsburgh's green hillsides. The midwest states are just not appealing for a drive. Hubby and son went on a trip to New Mexico. They said driving through the midwest states was a total bore.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Michigan is actually a very pretty state. The scenery is a lot different than PA. It's not flat and boring like much of Ohio is. The towns are a lot cleaner and more beautifully kept, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh