Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,120,868 times

Advertisements

The higher growth rate is mostly explained by the growth being more migration and less birth.

On the other hand, it nonetheless remains true that in such situations, the faster growth locale is (perhaps very slowly) converging on the slower growth locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM

14,205 posts, read 22,874,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The higher growth rate is mostly explained by the growth being more migration and less birth.

On the other hand, it nonetheless remains true that in such situations, the faster growth locale is (perhaps very slowly) converging on the slower growth locale.
I understand that rates of growth are always fast from small population bases, but nonetheless, an above-average rate of growth means that eventually there will be convergence.

Basically, if you took 30,000 white people in Pittsburgh, and made 5,000 of them black and the remaining 25,000 Hispanic, then the city would be more "normal" among its peers in terms of racial/ethnic diversity. If Pittsburgh is less diverse than it "should be," then it's just a matter of fewer blacks and not enough Hispanics yet. It actually does pretty well with Asians.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,948,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, this is the tactic of all race baiting lefties. Skin tone is the only thing that matters. All whites are white, all blacks are black. This is why they can never understand ethnic conflict in places like Africa or the middle east. They think all people of the same skin tone would live together in perfect harmony if it wasn't for the evil, oppressive majority(i.e. white people).
When I was a kid, my father used to joke that our neighborhood (in NJ) was made up of "the three I's": the Irish, the Italians, and the Israelites, i.e., the Jews. That was diversity in my generation.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM

89 posts, read 203,437 times
What is this forums obsession with racial diversity? It seems that some people are upset that Pgh is mostly white? Why?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,368,739 times
Detroit has lost a quarter if its population in the last ten years. I guess I knew that, but seeing the number there . . . that's just insane.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,120,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2pitt View Post
What is this forums obsession with racial diversity? It seems that some people are upset that Pgh is mostly white?
I don't get the sense anyone is saying that.

Speaking just for myself, I think the fact that Pittsburgh is "whiter" than most large metros is an indicator that we have not gotten a lot of international immigrants lately. I think that in turn is a worthy topic of conversation (what are the effects; what are the causes; what, if anything, should we be doing about it; and so on). But I don't think the color ratio is inherently an important issue, and in fact there are independent ways of raising the immigration issue.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

6,362 posts, read 11,168,736 times
Both Hartford and Providence have metro area populations that exceed one million people.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM

14,205 posts, read 22,874,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Both Hartford and Providence have metro area populations that exceed one million people.
Oops.

Well these days they're seen more as satellite cities of New York and Boston anyway, so forgive me for not including them.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM

6,362 posts, read 11,168,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Oops.

Well these days they're seen more as satellite cities of New York and Boston anyway, so forgive me for not including them.
Public misperception.

Hartford is 130 miles from NYC and about 105 miles from Bawston. It still is officially designated as a metropolitan area and likely will be for decades to come. Western Fairfield County, CT is the only part of the state that is more closely tied economically and culturally to NYC than its main city of Stamford. Even Bridgeport which is 60 miles from NYC is still considered its own distinct metropolitan area.

Providence is about 50 miles from Bawston and like Hartford, still retains its own distinct identity from the larger urban area nearby.

Both of these regions are very ethnically mixed and if they were included in your study, would alter the current standings.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,765,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The 2010 Census just illustrated that Pittsburgh gained Hispanics and Asians since 2000.
True, but the populations are still minuscule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh