Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 04:59 PM

586 posts, read 541,507 times

Advertisements

Look at a picture of Phoenix, there are many buildings more than the 6 story ones you just showed me. As I said they are much more dense but tall buildings really aren't prevalent in those Cities.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 PM

And FTR that picture of Prague actually really isn't the core, it's across the river where Prague Castle is located. The core where most people go is a few miles from there and not really big buildings at all.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,042 times
Phoenix has a good layout and is a smaller city. A lot of people like the dry climate and think it's good for things like asthma, allergies...arthritis. We probably have less in the way of flowering plants and plant life in general than a lot of other places, so there would be less pollen in the air. It definitely is good for some things, as higher elevations and cooler, moister air can bother people with asthma and other breathing conditions. Also the winters here are very mild but we do and can have some that are quite cold.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 PM

I think you are off on asthma. The dry dusty air has a greater affect that moist air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitch View Post
Phoenix has a good layout and is a smaller city. A lot of people like the dry climate and think it's good for things like asthma, allergies...arthritis. We probably have less in the way of flowering plants and plant life in general than a lot of other places, so there would be less pollen in the air. It definitely is good for some things, as higher elevations and cooler, moister air can bother people with asthma and other breathing conditions. Also the winters here are very mild but we do and can have some that are quite cold.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:05 PM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
Default I nominate this POTY of 2016 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
But why is Phoenix a small town?
  1. Is it the existence of 4 pro sports teams, NASCAR stops, hosting multiple super bowls, the final 4, our regular big concerts, major performing arts centers?
  2. Is it the existence of 16 fortune 1,000 companies within the metro region?
  3. Perhaps having the 10th busiest airport in the US makes us a small town?
  4. Is the exploding residential boom in downtown Phoenix and Tempe? That's a small town thing right?
  5. Is it our 2.2M person labor force? That sounds small right?
  6. Is it our $220B metro GDP, ranking above the likes of Denver, Pittsburgh, and San Jose?
  7. Maybe it's being the 13th largest media market that does it?
  8. Is it the 10,000 or so residential units under construction in downtown and central Phoenix?
  9. Perhaps it's the presence of the largest university in the nation?
  10. Is it our museums and cultural attractions that make us a small town? The Heard, Desert Botanical Garden(the world's largest collection of desert plants), Taliesin West, the Phoenix Art Museum (the Southwest's largest art museum), the Fleischer Museum, the Science Center, the Hall of Flame (featuring the world's largest collection of fire-fighting equipment), Pueblo Grande, SMOCA, MIM??
The old argument that Phoenix is a small town has gotten pretty tired. It's well past time to retire it and Reno loves the saying so much they even built signage proclaiming it's theirs, so lets let them own it huh? Plus it takes all but 5 minutes to realize there is nothing about the amount of opportunity, both economically and among personal interests, that is small about the Phoenix area.

People making this argument usually mean that Phoenix doesn't look like traditional cities, "wait a minute, where's the giant skyline like New York, Chicago, Boston, etc.????" We grew up different here, you left those places because you didn't like it. Try it out!

There's a lot of reasons why we grew how we did and there's some great perks to it, one being that horrendous traffic jams normally associated with a 5 million person region don't really exist here! I'm delighted not to spend 61 hours a year stuck in traffic jams like people do in Chicago, how about you?

But alas, it's easier to judge things based on what you've known, instead of taking the time to view things from a different perspective. Some people get it, others never will.
^^^ Post Of The Year ^^^

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitch View Post
We probably have less in the way of flowering plants and plant life in general than a lot of other places, so there would be less pollen in the air.
Don't let the desert fool you, there are plenty of pollen producing plants found in Arizona, I think there might be 17 different types of ragweed alone in Arizona. The thing about allergies is that the people who move here, say from the Midwest and/or Northeast have allergies from plants/grasses found there, then they move to Arizona, where those same plants/grasses are not found or found in low qualities, and their allergies go away.

But here's the catch, I heard people throw out 6-7 years, or as little as 2 or as much as never, when transplants might start to develop allergies to Arizona plants/grasses, it all depends on the person. Allergies is yet again one of those individualized things. Some people can live here their whole lives and never develop them, or they might move here and in less than 5 years have new allergies that are worse than where they came from. You never know.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Don't let the desert fool you, there are plenty of pollen producing plants found in Arizona, I think there might be 17 different types of ragweed alone in Arizona. The thing about allergies is that the people who move here, say from the Midwest and/or Northeast have allergies from plants/grasses found there, then they move to Arizona, where those same plants/grasses are not found or found in low qualities, and their allergies go away.

But here's the catch, I heard people throw out 6-7 years, or as little as 2 or as much as never, when transplants might start to develop allergies to Arizona plants/grasses, it all depends on the person. Allergies is yet again one of those individualized things. Some people can live here their whole lives and never develop them, or they might move here and in less than 5 years have new allergies that are worse than where they came from. You never know.
This happened to me. For the first couple of years here I had zero allergies. Where I lived before in the Midwest, I had terrible spring allergies, specifically oak tree pollen. Moved here and had no symptoms at all (not as many oak trees here I suppose) but this spring was the worst allergy season ever for me. I was absolutely miserable, sneezing 40 and 50 times in a row, etc. I now take a daily allergy pill, even in the winter, something I never did before. So, thinking moving to the desert will "cure" allergies is not always the case. I have not figured out what I am allergic to here yet.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Some like it hot, and it's cheaper.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Wow, 100 pages on a Phoenix/hot weather based thread.

I think the simple answer/reality is that the Phoenix metro isn't "that hot" for the vast majority of the year. Depending on one's definition of "hot", I'd say 7-8 months it isn't "that hot" and is ideal weather for the vast majority of people.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
just thought you would enjoy this one..
last Monday in Chicago, air temp 13 below zero
this morning, one week later, 54 degrees

another reason to want to live in Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area