Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm doing a little bit of research for some friends of ours. I had lived in Arizona briefly, but now live in Colorado, so I'm relying mainly on memory. I was hoping some of the posters here would help.

I noticed that there's a large number of townhomes and rowhouses for sale on the Tempe/Phoenix border between 40th St and 48th St north of Broadway. This is in Phoenix immediately behind the "Broadway" curve of I-10. These townhomes from the pictures posted don't appear to be very glamorous, but they are about half the price-per-square-foot of an equivalent property in Tempe proper. A 2BR there can easily be had for well less than 90k. There doesn't seem to be anything else around ASU that can match that price.

I'm not expecting anything too fancy (this is a student property, after all), but naturally if the area is crime-infested or dangerous, then that would issue of concern. Has anyone live in or near that area? Any comments about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 AM

64 posts, read 413,343 times
Hi, I don't really know Phoenix well, but was there about 10 days ago. I was in the area that you are talking about, and was not impressed at all. It looked like the type of area that I would not be comfortable being there after dark when all the bad guys come out.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I did some research for a company in that exact area and it was BAD!!! It was a few years ago. After coming home one day and turning on the news there had been a shooting at the condos that I was working at. So not good!!! Very crime infested, low income, etc. There are reasons why property is CHEAP!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Greetings,

I'm doing a little bit of research for some friends of ours. I had lived in Arizona briefly, but now live in Colorado, so I'm relying mainly on memory. I was hoping some of the posters here would help.

I noticed that there's a large number of townhomes and rowhouses for sale on the Tempe/Phoenix border between 40th St and 48th St north of Broadway. This is in Phoenix immediately behind the "Broadway" curve of I-10. These townhomes from the pictures posted don't appear to be very glamorous, but they are about half the price-per-square-foot of an equivalent property in Tempe proper. A 2BR there can easily be had for well less than 90k. There doesn't seem to be anything else around ASU that can match that price.

I'm not expecting anything too fancy (this is a student property, after all), but naturally if the area is crime-infested or dangerous, then that would issue of concern. Has anyone live in or near that area? Any comments about it?
My office is across the freeway from this area, and from my window I can see the neighborhood every day. I'd steer clear of it. It's not in great shape and has a seedy feel. A better choice in the area would be to go east into Tempe itself or south toward Baseline Road where there are some nice, more upscale developments.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
It has been a bad area for many years and gets worse as you go west on Broadway. If you are talking about the townhomes or condos just west of 48th on the north side of B-way, you couldn't give me one.

Last edited by aj661; 06-12-2007 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
You should read some of the South Phoenix threads that have been on this forum in the last several months... The only parts of the south Phoenix I would even think about living in are some of the new, gated communities-- and even then, as many have pointed out here, that's probably not the smartest long term investment, considering how fast neighborhoods can go downhill. I wouldn't even rent in that area, let alone buy. I'm an ASU student, and I don't know anybody who lives in that area. Even when it comes to older, less expensive areas, there's better choices; look at Tempe north of the Salt River or south Scottsdale, west of Rural Rd. I think even something in east-central Phoenix, like the parts of Thomas Rd east of 44th st would be a better location than Broadway and 40th. Oh yeah, I'm from Colorado too-- you should stay there IMO-- a much nicer place year round than here. :0

Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM

202 posts, read 981,002 times
Run Forest, RUN!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 PM

34 posts, read 192,831 times
Default South Phoenix Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You should read some of the South Phoenix threads that have been on this forum in the last several months... The only parts of the south Phoenix I would even think about living in are some of the new, gated communities-- and even then, as many have pointed out here, that's probably not the smartest long term investment, considering how fast neighborhoods can go downhill.

Amen to that! Last year I lived in south Phoenix (not far from 39th Ave. & Baseline) for about 3 months, tutoring a friend's daughter. They call the place "Laveen" but it's south Phoenix through and through. Great new house, but right next to a really run down area and no gates either. Every weekend I could hear gunfire in the a.m. (when the dope dealers and gangstas come out to play?) and the poor girl was so scared she could hardly wait to get out of there to go to college. I couldn't split quickly enough either...

Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Steer clear of Laveen - South Mountain.

Shootout RIGHT behind my bro in law's home (Gated community South Mountain).

Saturday night in Laveen we heard three separate shootings as we played poker at a friends house.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Greetings,

Oh that's a big no no. That's been awful since I first moved to Phoenix in 88. Trust me you don't want to live in the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area