Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Why is there such a need to speed? I mean really - what's the hurry to get nowhere?

I admit I drive a little over the speed limit sometimes too, but why are you people so unwilling to accept responsibility for your actions when you drive more than 10 over???????

If ya break the law, ya pay the fine. Same with any other traffic violation.
While correct in principle, what is wrong if everyone is going 65 without any problem? You've got a city that takes an hour to cross and we've got to obey a sign that says go 55? If I want to get out of town, going 70 feels right and I'm sure everyone else would agree. If someone doesn't like the speed on the road, get off! Take the side streets! The roads are meant to get people from one place to another. To punish those in a hurry--who have not endangered others and not caused accidents--is foolish. If you can't drive your car on a road with a speed of 70 then you shouldn't be driving. "You" here is meant as a generalization, not you specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:08 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunn72 View Post
As soon as I heard about the statewide rollout, I invested in a GPS camera detector to complement the radar detector I already had. It's the only way to truly protect yourself.
OK, had to ask, where does one get a GPS camera detector? Otherwise...

I say we get 10,000 of our best friends to don masks and destroy these things throughout the city. That's just step 1!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:52 PM

124 posts, read 509,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
While correct in principle, what is wrong if everyone is going 65 without any problem? You've got a city that takes an hour to cross and we've got to obey a sign that says go 55? If I want to get out of town, going 70 feels right and I'm sure everyone else would agree. If someone doesn't like the speed on the road, get off! Take the side streets! The roads are meant to get people from one place to another. To punish those in a hurry--who have not endangered others and not caused accidents--is foolish. If you can't drive your car on a road with a speed of 70 then you shouldn't be driving. "You" here is meant as a generalization, not you specifically.

I would welcome an increase in speed limit, I have no problem in driving faster than 55MPH. However, I do not wish to break the law and speed therefore I choose to drive only a few MPH over the limit. I just do not understand the mentality that the interstate should only be available for people who want to speed and anyone choosing to drive the speed limit should "Take the side streets!"

Since the speed cameras have appeared I have not altered my driving at all and in a matter of months I have gone from being one of the slowest on the road to one of the fastest. The world has gone crazy!

I presume the speed cameras are here to stay so the cheapest solution seems to be not to speed or keep off the interstate and take the side streets

Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Why is there such a need to speed? I mean really - what's the hurry to get nowhere?
OK, first of all: what do you define as "nowhere" ... your workplace, a family emergency, or what? Most people don't speed just for the hell of it. They do so because they have to BE somewhere. It takes long enough to drive from point A to point B in this Valley with all the sprawl ... and with the road conditions & weather being favorable most of the time, there's really no need to move so slow.

So with that, I must ask: why is there such a need to drive 55 MPH on the freeways here? Sections of the 51, 10, and 17 freeways drop from 65 to 55 at certain points ... and there's really no need to move that slow on wide freeways. Don't tell me that traffic becomes more congested on those sections, because that's complete b.s. There's just as much (if not more)congestion on the sections where the speed limit is 65 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
I presume the speed cameras are here to stay so the cheapest solution seems to be not to speed or keep off the interstate and take the side streets
No, they shouldn't be here to stay. They can be just as easily taken down as they were easy to install. Furthermore, they were approved ILLEGALLY by a Governor who couldn't find any other means to reduce the state's budget deficit effectively. There was no vote on this issue by the public. This state has always allowed its voters to pass or reject initiatives related to public policy ... and this should have been one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Yep! balance the budget~ 1. cut all road construction
2. cut all fire departments out
3. cut all police officers
4. get rid of the airports~ they suck up a lotta money!
5. get rid of all th water and sewer systems~ cause you do not want them!
now we are a lot closer ta balancing the budget!!
Not sure if you're just being a smart aleck ... but those five suggestions are pretty extreme. How about just eliminating the extra PORK in the state budget, such as Napolitano's all day Kindergarten (which was never approved by the voters either)? How about keeping road construction, but eliminating those weekend parties ADOT throws whenever a new mile or two of freeway is opened? There are all kinds of extra perks that we could cut back on, or do away with.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
Stop the LEGALIZED THEFT of the use of speed cameras! This is NOT right! I have not gotten a ticket from one yet, but it is not right to punish hard working citizens like this! Hard working people deserve justice and honesty in our once great country! Not to be punished because our elected leaders have done such LOUSY jobs at spending OUR tax money!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:29 PM

140 posts, read 467,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
OK, had to ask, where does one get a GPS camera detector? Otherwise...

I say we get 10,000 of our best friends to don masks and destroy these things throughout the city. That's just step 1!
Here is how the product works:

Upon approaching fixed speed cam:
(british accented female voice)"attention fixed camera, speed limit 55 attention overspeed" If you don't slow down by the time camera approaches, another "attention overspeed" warning comes.

Upon approaching fixed red light camera:
(british accented female voice)"attention red light camera, speed limit 45 attention overspeed" If you don't slow down by the time camera approaches, another "attention overspeed" warning comes.

Upon approaching known mobile camera location:
(british accented female voice)"attention mobile camera ahead, speed limit 65 attention overspeed" If you don't slow down by the time camera approaches, another "attention overspeed" warning comes.

Disclaimer: I do not work for cheetah and in no way will profit in any way from any sales of the device mentioned below:

Speedcheetah products by Cheetah Advanced Technologies Ltd

"
Using the very latest GPS technology, the Cheetah C100 alerts you with audible and visual alerts to high risk accident areas (blackspots) and photo-enforcement safety cameras, including Redflex, ATS, Nestor, Lasercraft, Gatso, Redspeed, Traffipax, TruVelo, SPECS Average Speed cameras, Watchman, Speedcurb and many more.
It's like having a little guardian angel in the car with you, keeping you alert to approaching hazard areas and speed cameras. There's an option to enable alerts for well known speed trap sites, and you can even mark up to 100 locations for your own personal reminders."

Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave mason View Post
Stop the LEGALIZED THEFT of the use of speed cameras! This is NOT right! I have not gotten a ticket from one yet, but it is not right to punish hard working citizens like this! Hard working people deserve justice and honesty in our once great country! Not to be punished because our elected leaders have done such LOUSY jobs at spending OUR tax money!

I see it as supporting the local economy. In thanks to the GPS and Radar detectors I own, I was able to eat lunch at a local Vietnamese restaurant with the 200$ i saved not getting a ticket. I'm sure the local economy thanks me (owners, waitresses, cooks) that I spent than money there instead of giving it to the vile folks from Australia at Redflex. AZ even gets the sales tax I spent at the local restaurants and has the added benefit of not paying unemployment to those folks that I was able to contribute to!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,263 times
Not sure if you're just being a smart aleck ... but those five suggestions are pretty extreme. How about just eliminating the extra PORK in the state budget, such as Napolitano's all day Kindergarten (which was never approved by the voters either)? How about keeping road construction, but eliminating those weekend parties ADOT throws whenever a new mile or two of freeway is opened? There are all kinds of extra perks that we could cut back on, or do away with.

Just kind of pointing out that one person's pork is another persons essential program~ my sugestions are just as valid as yours~ and yes~ I feel mine are extreme but yours are also! Just as easily suggest lowering all elected officials wages of $1 per year~ and you can be sure that will never pass our legislature.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,140,263 times
I also believe that lawbreakers are lawbreakers ~and those that teach their kids they don't need to obey the laws put speeders is a category about the same as serial murderers!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
I also believe that lawbreakers are lawbreakers ~and those that teach their kids they don't need to obey the laws put speeders is a category about the same as serial murderers!

I agree! Remember going 1 mile over the limit is speeding. Remember going over .00000000000001 MPH over the speed limit is speeding. Lets put everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) in jail for life for speeding. There's going to be no one left besides those who are underage and those who take the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area