Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times

Advertisements

100 speed cameras set for state highways

Yep, they are coming September 26th of this year.

I'm mixed on how I feel about this. Part of me says it's crazy...we don't need to be policed like little kids...but the other part of me says that apparently we do need it because if there weren't speeders out there, this wouldn't even be discussed.

I do see it as more of a money making thing for the state then an actual safety thing...but I guess I can't blame them, if people are willing to "give" them the money, they are willing to take it.

I don't buy the complaints from people that an actual cop should be giving out tickets...why would that matter? So they may be able to get out of the ticket?

In the end, it seems pretty cut and dry...don't speed more then 9 MPH and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket...be it from a camera or real cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
I could not agree more, HX Guy!

Isn't it better the State fills the revenue bucket with fines from the "heavy footed" rather than raise taxes?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:40 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,724 times
I'm o.k. with cameras that nab red light runners and really bad speeders, though for the latter, I'd prefer they alert a real cop to pull them over and make them do a roadside dance rather than mail them a ticket two weeks later. I'd guess that most of these chumps have a host of other stuff that would land them jail time. They could have 24 bales of pot, 12 hookers, 8 lbs of coke, 3 teenage girls and a gaggle of illegals, but will simply get a note in the mail after driving like Mario Andretti down the 101.

Othwerwise, for most of us it's a slippery slope.

The techonology is already there to put a chip in the car and just send you fines automatically should any law be broken. A rental car company was already using or considering to use this to add fees to your tab, even of you never got a ticket. Ever roll through a stop sign? Ping.

There are new parking meters that alert the patrols the moment your time runs out, sending them right to your car to write a ticket.

Meanwhile, it should be really easy these days to ensure that no cars get stolen. $10 chips in each car would do it. Imagine a state with zero car thefts. But instead we go after the easy revenue.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Im glad they're putting more speed cameras out there. Wish they'd put some here, we need them here in Calif, lol.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
100 speed cameras set for state highways

Yep, they are coming September 26th of this year.

I'm mixed on how I feel about this. Part of me says it's crazy...we don't need to be policed like little kids...but the other part of me says that apparently we do need it because if there weren't speeders out there, this wouldn't even be discussed.

I do see it as more of a money making thing for the state then an actual safety thing...but I guess I can't blame them, if people are willing to "give" them the money, they are willing to take it.

I don't buy the complaints from people that an actual cop should be giving out tickets...why would that matter? So they may be able to get out of the ticket?

In the end, it seems pretty cut and dry...don't speed more then 9 MPH and you won't have to worry about getting a ticket...be it from a camera or real cop.
Ok, now I'd say that this is a little excessive, don't you think? 100 cameras? what's next? neighborhood cameras to monitor people?

P.S.
"Recent figures released by Chandler show only about 10 percent of the city's photo-enforcement citations issued are paid. Unlike the DPS citations, the city's are forwarded to the state Department of Motor Vehicles and carry license penalties and potential insurance-rate increases. However, cases are dismissed if drivers didn't acknowledge receipt of the citations and were not served, court administrator Carla Boatner said."

LOL...just don't acknowledge it!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Im glad they're putting more speed cameras out there. Wish they'd put some here, we need them here in Calif, lol.
Livewire, you seem like a type of guy who likes being told what to do...."go sit in the corner and don't come out"

Old 07-18-2008, 08:42 AM

641 posts, read 2,365,939 times
wow, I wonder why they do not chip cars. What a great idea. Of course yo would have to find a way to place it so car thieves could not take it off

Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
I agree with HX_Guy... its a little much to constantly have "big brother" watching us, but then again it makes sense to slow some of the idiots down. We're getting them, too, here in IL and there are many in favor and many opposed. I kinda sit on both sides of the fence.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree with HX_Guy... its a little much to constantly have "big brother" watching us, but then again it makes sense to slow some of the idiots down. We're getting them, too, here in IL and there are many in favor and many opposed. I kinda sit on both sides of the fence.
Does it hurt when you sit on fences? (***waves hello***)

Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Does it hurt when you sit on fences? (***waves hello***)

I had a strange feeling someone would make a comment about that. lol

***waves back***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area